Are Deload Weeks really needed?

Options
Hi,

I was recently told by a guy in my gym about Deload weeks. He told me basically I should be either doing a deload week or taking a week off from doing weights every 6-8 weeks. Is there any truth in this? He said its to give the body some time off to recover so can make more gains later but I dont know.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Peace

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Mostly I use life's natural interruptions for this. Like Christmas, and getting the flu. Then I can take time off, or reduce my training volume, without feeling off track.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Most high end strength programs include a planned deload, or light load week.
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Deloads are absolutely essential!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I crash and burn without them.
    I kind of also think that if I don't feel I need one, I probably wasn't going hard enough on thr other weeks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes. The frequency will depend on a bunch of things including your training intensity, age , etc, but they are still very important to give your CNS a break.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Only if you want to keep progressing and avoid injury.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Only if you want to keep progressing and avoid injury.
    Agreed!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Couldn't I just give 60% all the time instead?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    how long have you been working out and at what intensity level? if you're fairly novice, you can probably keep chugging through until you stall a few times. but there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a week here and there to go easy. sometimes life just makes this happen naturally when we have travel or something that we need to do that keeps us away from the gym for a week.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

You, sure. People who are serious about fitness probably don't want to go that route, though. :tongue:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

You, sure. People who are serious about fitness probably don't want to go that route, though. :tongue:
    *throws popcorn*
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

(Ouch. Your words, they sting.)

ETA: Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I did not interpret her comment as attacking, mocking or otherwise insulting me in any way, so is therefore not a violation of Community Guideline #1. It was not disrespectful and not a violation of Community Guideline #4. I did not feel belittled, so it is not a violation of Community Guideline #6. Further, I did not believe her comment was in violation of any of the other Community Guidelines not specifically mentioned by number.

Nonetheless, if anybody needs me, I'll be over in the corner...in the fetal position...sobbing.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    yeah, eventually you would hit nerve fatigue and start to decline in performance as well as other things. Deload weeks are both a thing I dislike but need when they do come.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

ETA: Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I did not interpret her comment as attacking, mocking or otherwise insulting me in any way, so is therefore not a violation of Community Guideline #1. It was not disrespectful and not a violation of Community Guideline #4. I did not feel belittled, so it is not a violation of Community Guideline #6. Further, I did not believe her comment was in violation of any of the other Community Guidelines not specifically mentioned by number.

Nonetheless, if anybody needs me, I'll be over in the corner...in the fetal position...sobbing.

However, your assumption that I needed some explanation regarding her obvious playful banter was an insult to my personal intelligence and sarcasm and frivolity meter and therefore is currently being reported.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

However, your assumption that I needed some explanation regarding her obvious playful banter was an insult to my personal intelligence and sarcasm and frivolity meter and therefore is currently being reported.

If only obvious playful banter was obvious to everyone on MFP, we wouldn't have so many people tip-toeing around with two strikes.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

If only obvious playful banter was obvious to everyone on MFP, we wouldn't have so many people tip-toeing around with two strikes.

I don't think I've ever gotten a strike. *adjusts halo* I'm sure that'll change with you on my friend list.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I did heavy load workouts for a period of 68 out of 72 days on end recently.

I took a ten day period where I lightened the weights and only worked out six of the days.

Hit the hard stuff again tonight and I feel a TON better!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was recently told by a guy in my gym about Deload weeks. He told me basically I should be either doing a deload week or taking a week off from doing weights every 6-8 weeks. Is there any truth in this? He said its to give the body some time off to recover so can make more gains later but I dont know.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Peace

You'll probably be very surprised how much stronger you come back.

Same advice applies to endurance cardio too.

It's not until you come back so much stronger that you realize your rest days, or split routines, ect, weren't really giving you the rest you thought they were.

Do it. Enjoy the time just walking some trails. Move some big limbs if you need to.
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I have been weight train for about 6 months now. So if I plan a week off every 8 weeks is this sufficient? Thing I don't think doing a deload would work for Me as my personality is go as hard as I can or not at all so I am thinking if I am goona go light I may as well take the time off and do other stuff with family' etc. as if I go gym will prob just say screw it and pile on weight lol
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you asked this question. I was just thinking about this earlier today. Up until now, I have done mostly cardio.... mostly running and cycling (I'm a triathlete). A recovery week is recommended every 4 weeks when trying to train for triathlons, etc. I am now trying to focus more of my time on lifting and I was curious about this.

So what does deload actually mean? How long is it? Do you stop altogether or just scale back for a while? Thanks for all the info!!!