Chronic migraines, meds and the pounds keep going up...

Options
Hello!

I'm 43 years old and have been off work with severe chronic migraines for 2 years now. Every time I try to start working out, I either get into a run of worse migraines, and/or I hurt another body part (IT band issues, plantar fasciitis, you name it, I've had it!) Last month I started a new medication that seems to be helping - I'm actually hoping to go back to work soon - but of course, the main side effect is weight gain...

I have everything I need at home for the working out part - dvds, stationary bike, ball, mat, dumbells, etc. Oh, and a dog! I just need to do it whenever and however I am able. What I also need is to be accountable with my eating. So I found this place and started tracking TODAY.

Any advice and comments are appreciated. I'm looking forward to meeting some new friends here and contributing to others' journeys.

Replies

• sleepygirl38
    sleepygirl38 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Ashley. I am 26. I weighed 181 originally and now am down to 149. One of the things I have noticed is I don't have migraines nearly as frequently as before. I still dont work out hard core. I suggest just doing light cardio and make sure you eat small meals every 2 to 3 hours.
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    may I ask you what medicine you were put on? My husband has had chronic headaches for years.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Have they tried you on topamax?
  • Siavain
    Siavain Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley, great weight loss! And I'm glad your migraines are better. I'm really careful about eating regularly. My head tells me immediately if it's been more than 3 hours without eating...

Emmalousmom: The most recent one, and the one that seems to be helping, is Lyrica. But I'm also currently on Elavil, Topamax and Propranolol... The initial weeks on Lyrica made me completely zonked, but I'm fine now. The migraines have gone down from about 90% of days to 50-60%. We are adjusting the dose to see if we can get it down some more...

MrsJEK: Yes, currently on 50 mg Topamax. Used to be more but the side effects were just too much and I was still getting migraines...
  • FatIsNotGood4Me
    FatIsNotGood4Me Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used to work out right after drinking coffee, somehow that used to trigger my migraines, I changed my workout hours and no more migraines... hopefully you feel better, I hate migraines, headaches, pain, etc --
  • Siavain
    Options
    I used to work out right after drinking coffee, somehow that used to trigger my migraines, I changed my workout hours and no more migraines... hopefully you feel better, I hate migraines, headaches, pain, etc --

Wow... I'm so happy you found what works for you! It gives me hope! I'll have to keep looking, though, cause I don't drink coffee ;-) Thanks for the good wishes... I hate pain too!
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Topamax is supposed to be weight neutral or even in some cases ppl lose weight? But i see your on other ones too that im not familiar with. I have been on some pretty notorious weight gain s/e causing meds in the past but didnt see much of an increase in weight as long as i was keeping up on cardio and strength training.. Hope you find a good balance
  • mboski2
    mboski2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I work with a lady who has gone through a lot of the same as you. she ended up in the ER a month back and they checked the pressure in her eyes and a spinal tap and low and behold her spinal fluid was pressure was very high. she had 2 spinal taps to remove some of the fluid and it helped with her headaches. An opthalmologist (MD) was able to detect this with eye exams. SHe feels better now and has cut back some on her medication and is able to walk now and losing weight slowly
  • Dilite2
    Options
    My daughter (16 years) has suffered from migraines for many years, and has been given meds that have not helped at all. Over the past months she has been taking magnesium tablets, and the migraines have disappeared.

May be worth lookinging into ... all the best:smile:
  • Siavain
    Options
    That's what my neurologist had told me about Topamax... never had that effect on me. But I've mostly been on several meds at once, so that might be why.

The problem is that the meds have been mostly not working well, and I was having migraines all the time. That's kind of hard on the workout frequency and intensity. I've spend entire weeks with no other exercise aside from minimal walking my dog and even then, I do it mostly when it's dark out and I collapse in a heap of nausea and pain when I get back.

mboski2: wow, she was lucky they found it... and it's sad it took so long. I've been in the ER a few times for migraines, and my neurologist checks my eyes as part of his exam when I see him during a migraine (I've been seeing him about 6 times a year and he's pretty thorough) so I would be surprised if that is my problem, but I'll mention it to him next time. Can't hurt.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I am in a mess of health issues myself right now. Since about July I have been maintaining my weight through sticking to calorie goal with no exercise. It can be done. I do feel a bit softer, but am not gaining.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My 14 yo daughter suffers from severe chronic migraines. I had to pull her out of school because she spent more time coming home from school than in school itself. She can't be out in the sun running around because it will trigger a migraine. She has tried ciproheptadine and it worked for about a year before it stopped working. She tried propanlol but it didn't help at all. She is currently on Depakote. Unfortunately, we're running into problems with her blood work. Her amino acids are too elevated. We adjusted her med again and so far so good. I need to have her blood checked again next week. The only side effect that she gets is sleepiness. Fortunately for being home schooled she can take a nap during the day. I really don't want her on topomax. She's underweight as it is and I'm afraid that she'll lose too much weight.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in this. :flowerforyou:
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Although I don't get migraines too often, I do suffer from chronic sinus headaches due to various allergies. Sorry I can't suggest total relief from the headaches but if any of the exercises trigger them, try some yoga. You'd be surprised at how many calories it can burn, not to mention relaxing the brain with the meditation. Good luck!:smile:
  • Siavain
    Options
    Dilite2: My neuro put me on magnesium supplements about a year ago, plus B2 (I actually take a B100 complex because I'm deficient in B12), and D (I tested low in vitamin D - probably because I stay away from the sun!) Unfortunately, none of that helps... Thanks for the suggestion, though, and I'm really happy it worked for your daughter!

mbcarreno08: I'm so sorry you are also dealing with health problems... I had managed to maintain somewhat for several months, but the last medication addition just shifted the balance and I started climbing again. But I know that if I keep to a stricter diet, I'll stop the climb, and maybe manage to start dropping the weight a bit! I'm cautiously optimistic, let's say :-)
  • Siavain
    Options
    Wow, I'm overwhelmed by all the responses... thank you!

floridagirl72: I'm so sorry your girl is going through this at her age... *hugs* to both of you. And thank you for the support.

Avandel: Sinus headaches are horrible too... I've had mixed reactions to yoga. If I'm anywhere close to a migraine, it often puts me over the edge. Can't do anything with my head down below my heart. But I really should get into more meditation, or meditative-type yoga (not sure which kind that would be...) I tend to have "hamsters running in their wheels" in my head, so that might be really good for me. Thanks!
  • Serendipityunt
    Serendipityunt Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Siavain, for posting this. I also get migraines 3 out of 5 times I work out (and once every two or three weeks regularly). I'm glad everyone responded with suggestions, and I'm going to try taking magnesium supplements to see if that helps me in the every day.