Too big to run??

Options

Replies

• ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I walk fast at an incline on a treadmill. It gets your HR up without all of the impact. My sister also started that way at about 200 lbs and she trained and has run the Chicago Marathon 3x. She is not super tiny or fast but she does it. I think she is about 150-160 now

^Thank you for the suggestion.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Al the advice I read is good advice - but I didn't read them all so I don't know if someone suggested going to a running store and getting evaluated for the correct shoes. For me, that the single most important thing I did before I started seriously running.

Best of luck to you!!
  • mills101
    Options
    Im 245 and I run my bunzzz off
  • HayleeWho1122
    HayleeWho1122 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    As an avid runner I can give the advice to start slow. A slow and steady jog is all you need to start and build it up. Concentrate of form and landing on your feet properly. Go to Runner's World.com and there should be some great articles for beginners.

It's a great sport - best of luck to you!

yes! Start slow and build up! I have bad knees and i probably shouldnt be running. I take it easy and go at my own pace and when i push my self as far as I can go but when my knees start to hurt, I take a break. I also take ibprophen before as well which helps take away some pain.:)
  • findgod2findlife
    findgod2findlife Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I cannot even express how thankful i am for this site & for all of you!!! i am soo motivated to make this next step in my life! God bless you all
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You aren't too big to run, but it will definitely be more difficult. I started running when I was 217 pounds so not much smaller than what you are now.
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Nope. I started when I was 242 5'7. You gotta start somewhere. Now I am 210 and can run at a speed of 6.0 which is a 30 minute 5k which isn't too bad considering how I used to run. You got this. All it takes is hard work, persistence and dedication.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Al the advice I read is good advice - but I didn't read them all so I don't know if someone suggested going to a running store and getting evaluated for the correct shoes. For me, that the single most important thing I did before I started seriously running.

Best of luck to you!!

I started running at just under 200 lbs, 5'8 1/2, and never had any knee or other issues. I did a run/walk variation on the Couch to 5k plan (you can Google that) and did a lot more walking than running at the beginning. I still use walking breaks when I run. I definitely agree with the above advice about getting fitted for the right shoes.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I was very obese, but ran mail box to mail box, then 2 mail boxes..and so on.
    I'd jog, then walk, and before long I was going a whole half mile, then a mile, then 2 miles....
    Just get out and give it a go.
    Take it slow...mail box to mail box.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I started I could barely walk around the block and I kept walking farther and faster and then one day I I was walking so fast i just wanted to jog and so it began I was in the mid 250's then I have kept running and my legs and knees are better than they were I average almost 5 miles 4 weekdays and almost 8 on a weekend day now I will run my first 10K with my daughter in May and am aiming to finish under 80 minutes I will be 65 yrs old at the time
    never to old to heavy to slow keep doing it
  • runinsolitude
    Options
    Do the couch to 5k program, I completed the 9 weeks program in 2011 and have been running ever since.. be warned though, running is addictive.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I started c25k at 300+ lbs and ran my 1st 5k Dec 1st. That 1st 5k I walked about 25% of it but since then I have jogged the full 3.1 miles twice. It took me 4 months instead of 9 wks but I luv it. My next 5k race is in May. So excited! If I can do it (I'm 274 lbs) I'm sure you can too. Take it slow, speed will come later. Give yourself permission to repeat weeks. Get good shoes. Try not to pound the pavement like you are mad at the ground, just do soft landings with each step to save your knees and other joints.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As long as you start off slow (couch 2 5k is awesome and there are free apps for iphone and droid) you will be fine. dont be afraid to
    repeat weeks of it either. I jogged when I was 280 pounds with no problem. I need to start back up though. Jogging really helps my
    weight loss.

I will also send you an add request.
  • kaltey
    kaltey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You've gotta start somewhere so, no not too big. I think I started out at 5.0 for a mile and increased it little by little. I agree with getting fitted for the right shoes, they help so much. Also, I've learned the hard way that when your body hurts, stop. I'm a swimmer, not a runner and have tendinitis in my shoulder, that I can push through. Pain in my knees, not so much.
  • boppinmama
    boppinmama Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is the best way to start! Remember to STRETCH before and after each session! I started training in August at 250+ and after a handful of 5K's, I finished my first 10K last month In the 220's You can definitely do it!! Don't focus on speed, focus on endurance and things will fall into place. If you are interested in working on speed, sprints and running intervals will help. One more thing... don't over do it. It's so easy to get muscle overuse injuries. Good luck!!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You arent too big to run.

Go to a running store and get fitted for good supporting running shoes (for heavy runners.) Big runners will bottom out a light shoe which can cause leg, hip and back pain.

Ignore any advice telling you to take ibuprofen or any other NSAIDS before you run.

NSAIDS are things like Motrin and Aleve (also known as Ibuprofen and Naproxen). NSAIDS cause constriction of the arteries feeding the kidneys. You are already reducing renal blood flow when running and especially if you arent hydrated Constricting the renal arteries can lead to renal failure.

If you are stiff and sore stretch and warm up before going. If you still have pain stop. Listen to your body.

Start slow and take a day off in between runs.

If you have questions on anything feel free to pm me.
  • brandie_lou
    Options
    I just wanted to say I'm so glad you posted this, because the responses are encouraging to me as well. I'm heavier than you are (too embarrassed to give my weight) but to hear about people having success at 300+ lbs is really inspiring. I've always wanted to run because that's always been my image of fit. I think I'm going to try the C25K. I tried it a few months ago and couldn't do it but I'm working much harder in the gym now so I'm going to give it a try also. If I could run a few minutes (enough for people to notice) I'd soooo do it in public. So weird how running in public is such a big deal. Kinda like how some people feel about a gym before they ever go, that all the attention will be on them when it actually isn't. I wonder if the running world is like that. I'd love, love, love to run a marathon and complete it within the time, or good time.

Congrats on your weight loss and I'm also looking for encouraging friends so feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    When I started working towards the c25k program I was just under 230 lbs (5'4"). I started out by jogging for a few feet once a song (on my phone) during my walks. Eventually I got to the point that I figured I was close to being able to do "day 1," so I loaded up the zen lab's c25k app, and gave it a try. It took me 3 weeks, but I finally was able to do all of the 1 minute "runs" between all of the walking. It wasn't until I accomplished this, that I moved on to day 2. That was in the middle of October.

Now it is the December, and I am done with c25k. I still have not run a whole 5k yet, but I can run/walk one in under 45 minutes regularly. This is the end of week 11 of running (not including the extra 3 weeks of trying to do day 1). and I love it. I went from the girl who "hates to sweat" to one who actually thinks it is cool when I do. Now.... the cool weather might have something to do with that, but I'm not complaining right now. Tomorrow my goal is to run at least 38 minutes, with the goal to run a full 5k distance.

Get started with the exercise clothes that you have. Make sure that you have good running shoes. Start slow, and take more walking breaks if you have to. If you end up with exercise or cold induced asthma, consider a scarf, cowl or "neck gaiter" around your mouth to breath through until your whole body warms up. This helps me a whole lot. Oh, and don't forget to make an appt with your doctor, especially if you have any medical conditions that might flare up when running.

You can do this!!!!!
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Get started with the exercise clothes that you have. Make sure that you have good running shoes. Start slow, and take more walking breaks if you have to. If you end up with exercise or cold induced asthma, consider a scarf, cowl or "neck gaiter" around your mouth to breath through until your whole body warms up. This helps me a whole lot. Oh, and don't forget to make an appt with your doctor, especially if you have any medical conditions that might flare up when running.

You can do this!!!!!

I have cold induced/exercise induced asthma and never though of the scarf/cowl idea before, thank you so much! :)