Should I bulk or cut to get into shape?

Options
So I have been convinced that since I am just now getting back into going to the gym, I should be bulking. However over the last two days I have read a couple of post that talk about how beginners can continue building muscle as well as lose fat during a cut. I do want to build muscle, however Im not as interested in the amount of weight that I can lift as I am how I look. I am 5ft10in, 163lbs, and according to a calculator online that I am not sure how accurate it is, I have 20% body fat.
So in that case if I am wanting to build muscle, but also loose my belly, which should I do first bulk or cut? I know that summer is coming, and I would prefer to be lean over the summer instead of heavy.

Finally if I should cut, how does one actually go about doing this? What I mean is, I know that I would begin to eat at a deficit in calories, but would I also need to work cardio? Right now I am going every other day to the gym. On one day I do 3x8 squats, 3x8 bench press, 3x8 rows. The next day I do 3x8 dead lifts, 3x8 lat pulldowns, 3x8 overhead press.

I know this post is somewhat all over the place, and I am sorry about that, I just need some direction to go in as I am pretty confused at the moment. Thank you for the help!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    So I have been convinced that since I am just now getting back into going to the gym, I should be bulking. However over the last two days I have read a couple of post that talk about how beginners can continue building muscle as well as lose fat during a cut. I do want to build muscle, however Im not as interested in the amount of weight that I can lift as I am how I look. I am 5ft10in, 163lbs, and according to a calculator online that I am not sure how accurate it is, I have 20% body fat.
    So in that case if I am wanting to build muscle, but also loose my belly, which should I do first bulk or cut? I know that summer is coming, and I would prefer to be lean over the summer instead of heavy.

Finally if I should cut, how does one actually go about doing this? What I mean is, I know that I would begin to eat at a deficit in calories, but would I also need to work cardio? Right now I am going every other day to the gym. On one day I do 3x8 squats, 3x8 bench press, 3x8 rows. The next day I do 3x8 dead lifts, 3x8 lat pulldowns, 3x8 overhead press.

I know this post is somewhat all over the place, and I am sorry about that, I just need some direction to go in as I am pretty confused at the moment. Thank you for the help!
    Building muscle on calorie deficit going to be limited. You either bulk or cut, not both at the same time. To build muscle, you are adding mass. To add mass you have to add weight. To add weight you need calorie surplus. You don't do calorie surplus and deficit and expect great results from either.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Per Lyle McDonald (who knows more about fitness and nutrition than anyone on these forums), 10-15% body fat is the ideal range for cut/bulk cycles. Cut til around 10-12%, then bulk to 15%, rinse, repeat. You will probably be pretty skinny at 10-12%, but if you're lucky you can pick up some noob gains during your cut.
  • cjam93
    Options
    Ok awesome thanks! I have just a few more quick questions for you if you dont mind. When doing a cut, should I keep just doing these lifts that I am already doing or do I need to add in some cardio? Also according to a calorie calculator online I need around 2400 calories a day for maintenance. Where should I drop to from there to begin the cut, and what is the ideal rate of weight loss that I should aim for? Thanks again!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Per Lyle McDonald (who knows more about fitness and nutrition than anyone on these forums), 10-15% body fat is the ideal range for cut/bulk cycles. Cut til around 10-12%, then bulk to 15%, rinse, repeat. You will probably be pretty skinny at 10-12%, but if you're lucky you can pick up some noob gains during your cut.
    Right...

Just go buy the mirror. Never understood the whole bodyfat %. Like he is really going to stop once he hits a certain number.
  • cjam93
    Options
    Sorry but what do you mean? Im not sure how to know which I should do just by looking at myself. My problem is that Im not fat but Im not skinny either. Im right in the middle where it looks almost like I could go either way.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Sorry but what do you mean? Im not sure how to know which I should do just by looking at myself. My problem is that Im not fat but Im not skinny either. Im right in the middle where it looks almost like I could go either way.
    Well there you go. If you want to continue cutting, then cut. I would personally get as lean as possible and then transition properly to maintenance via a slow and controlled reverse diet.
  • cjam93
    Options
    Ok thank you I will likely do that then. Sorry not to ask again but Im not sure about this part, should I just continue with my lifts, or do I need to change my routine in the gym in order to help with a cut?

Also I am very new to doing this stuff. When you say reverse diet do you just mean cutting and then bulking or what exactly is that?
  • cjam93
    Options
    bump