What's a good juicer? PLEASE help.

Options
Hey MFPals. I'm planning to begin juicing and I'm not sure which to get. I've heard that the lower the wattage, the better because more nutriution is kept in. I've also been encouraged to buy a Breville. I forgot the model number, but it was 700 watts.

Any suggestions?! Please help.

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    The Green Star is, in my opinion, the best. The Breville is centrifical, and is not good for greens at all. The Grean Star is great for anything, and it gets way more juice from veggies and fruit than any of the centrifical juicers. I hear the champion is also great, but I have never used that one. I have been juicing for 18 years...
  • monicatezla
    monicatezla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Masticating Juicers are the best at keeping all the nutrients - i have an Omega brand juicer and love it! http://www.omegajuicers.com/juicers.html
  • ThinGalInside
    Options
    Actually, juice of any kind isn't good for you. The sugar goes straight to your pancreas and greatly increases your chance of getting diabetes. Stay with whole fruits and water if you can.
  • kbailey8820
    kbailey8820 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll do some research on those two brands. I'm new to juicing and I really want to start getting more vegetables in my daily regimen. I eat plenty of fruits, no problem, but when it comes to vegetables.. YUCK! I'm hoping juicing and mixing in the vegetables with the fruit will help A LOT.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    We have the Breville Elite. I think it is 1000 watts. Easier to clean than the Omega ones.
    We have had ours for around 5 years and my husband juices every single day, sometimes twice a day. Anything from greens, to carrots to fruits.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Champion
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    We have an Omega 8004 and love it. I don't find it hard to clean.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Actually, juice of any kind isn't good for you. The sugar goes straight to your pancreas and greatly increases your chance of getting diabetes. Stay with whole fruits and water if you can.
    Um. No. That is completely false. Sugar doesn't go straight to your pancreas, in fact, sugar NEVER goes to your pancreas.

As for the OP, skip the juicer, get a blender. You get ALL of the nutrition from the fruits and vegetables when you use a blender, a juicer extracts juice, but leaves behind all the pulp, so you lose a lot of nutrients, and you lose all the fiber. I personally like the Ninja blenders, I have the Ninja XL professional blender, it will make juice or smoothies out of anything you can think of. Toss in some fruits and veggies with some ice, and you have a smoothie, with all the fiber and nutrients available.

Plus a Ninja is a helluva lot cheaper than a juicer, far less maintenance as well.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Champion

yep...Champion is a good juicer and I had one...I got caught up in the juicing craze some years ago

then I learned that juicing is not such a great thing to be doing and of the fruit I eat, I now eat the whole fruit

juicing removes and eliminates the best parts of the fruit and gives you a concentrated sugar drink...sure it is fruit sugar but so what....all those calories? pfffft

juicing is on the way out for those in the know
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Veggie juice is amazing for you. Super healing!!
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have the Breville Model # JE-98XL and it works like a dream. I bought it from Bed Bath and Beyond and used the 20% coupon they offer. Money well spent!
  • kartikluthra
    Options
    WE HAVE USE OMEGA I LIKE IT......
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Better for your body to just eat whole fruit and vegetables :-)