Thyroid Meds

Just been diagnosed with thyroid problem. Do the Meds cause a lot of weight gain. Very scared about this. Love to have any input thanks

Replies

• kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Here is a group that will be able to help you. :flowerforyou:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    I've been on thyroid meds for years and had no problems losing the weight. Not sure what meds you are on.
  • kgeer31
    kgeer31 Posts: 52 Member
    Depends...are you Hypo, hyper,graves? Hypothyroidism causes weight gain notoriously by diagnosis, but if you are hyperthyroid and have just started on meds to "slow things back down", then you may gain weight. Hyperthyroidism speeds up the metabolism (and not in a good way!) and if that metabolism is now slowing down (aka, coming down to normal) then yes, you will gain weight on the meds. The meds themselves shouldn't cause the weight gain though. It's all about the diagnosis and regulating your body. Your thyroid is in charge of regulating so many systems. I have been Hypothyroid since age 13 and find it very difficult to boost my metabolism in general. I have only recently had to adjust any dosages due to post-partum depression and anxiety which happens. Feel free to friend me! the above mentioned group is great, too....your problem is WAAAYY more common than you think! Hang in there my friend!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Just been diagnosed with thyroid problem. Do the Meds cause a lot of weight gain. Very scared about this. Love to have any input thanks

What kind of thyroid problem? Hyper? Hypo? One of the autoimmune thyroid issues like Hashimoto's?

What meds?