Eat and Feel Satisfied - HELP!

Options
I have been really frustrated with the up and down on the scale. I wish I could learn how to figure out what food truly satisfies me and why I loose and then gain so frequently!!! It really feels like a teeter toter!!! What foods are you eating that helps curb your appetite and help you feel satisfied??? I know that less carbs would kick up my weight loss, but in the past when I have done that it seems to come back when I slowly add the carbs back in. Your suggestions and comments are VERY appreciated!

Replies

• DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Options
    I would like to know this as well... it feels like I'm hungry more often than not!! :-P
  • all4tjs
    all4tjs Posts: 51
    Options
    Me too!
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat are generally processed more slowly than carbs. Fiber has a tendency to fill you up.

That being said, I have found that since I started cutting out yummy baked goods and the refined and processed carbs, I'm not nearly as hungry as I used to be. I have a theory (all on my own and it's not scientific or professional or anything) that for me, refined and processed carbs (and yummy baked goods) actually make me hungrier. I don't care how much fiber is in something, unless it's not refined/processed and it actually has a little fat and/or protein in it, I'll be hungry not too long after eating it.

Remember, this is how it works FOR ME. I am not advocating that everyone on this website stops eating carbs and starts eating protein and fat only. :wink: Just check out your food diary and see if what you're eating actually has some staying power. After all, Bran Flakes taste great and may be healthy for you, but if all you're eating is Bran Flakes, you may want to branch out. The same goes for lettuce leafs! :tongue:

Cheers! :drinker:
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    I found this helped more in the winter, not sure its a fav summer meal but I would make soup every weekend with whatever veggies I had in the fridge (you could leave out the higher carb ones) And when I knew I was having a higher calorie dinner I would have the soup for lunch, Very filling and low in the calories. You could add chicken to make it even more filling.

I'm curious to see what others suggest.
  • catfan
    catfan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Since I gave up diet soda I found that I am not as hungry. Not sure why bit it has really helped. GOOD LUCK!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that you should not cut carbs, but to choose whole grains and limit your portion sizes. Also to make sure to have some protein with your carbs. For instance, when I make egg whites with sundried tomatoes, spinach, and feta cheese with 1 slice of whole wheat toast that is very filling and will hold me until lunch time at noon (I eat breakfast usually around 7:30).
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    whole, natural foods....

oatmeal ( steel cut, or old fashioned), not the instant, pkg kind
    100% whole wheat breads, and whole grain cereals, tortilla's, crackers
    walnuts, almonds, unsalted
    lowfat cheese, milk, yogurt
    fresh fruits and veggies, not canned

stay away from sugary foods...read nutrition labels, avoid HFCS, added sugars and preservatives.....a few ingredients are much better than a list 20 names long...

eat every 2-3 hrs to keep metabolism going all day...

HTH, good luck!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    All carbohydrates are not created equal. Whole grains such as whole oats, barley, bulgur, whole grain bread and the carbohydrates in vegetables will probably keep you satisfied longer than refined carbohydrates, as others have mentioned. Also, don't be afraid of fat when it is mono- or poly-unsaturated. What are your macronutrient ratios? If find that the recommendations on this site for fat and protein is too low for me. I try to aim for about 40% carbohydrates (majority unrefined), 30% fat (poly- and mono-unsaturated mostly) and 30% protein.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Ok - you asked what we're eating that keeps us feeling satisfied... so here's a general day for me... and I can tell you, I'm rarely ever hungry and I don't normally have cravings (except over this past weekend when there was candy all over the place).

It's important to note that I try to eat as little wheat as possible because I believe that I have a sensitivity to it...

Breakfast: 2 rice cakes, 2 egg whites (sometimes whole eggs), handful of spinach and a 1.5 T light mayo. I make 2 kind of open faced sandwiches on the rice cakes...

Snack - a piece of fruit or 2

Lunch - Salad greens with 2 oz "leftover" meat (I cook extra) from the night before and homemade vinegar & oil dressing, activia yogurt or piece of fruit

Snack - a serving of nuts or an apple with a teaspoon of melted peanut butter

snack - fruit (usually eaten on the run to one of my sons sports practices)

Dinner - 3-4 oz lean meat, 2-3 different veggies (and I don't limit how much of those I eat), 1 cup rice or 1/2 potato.

dessert - Frozen yogurt if I have the calories, popcorn if I don't... and this is really ONLY if I've got the munchies!

Drinking a lot of water seems to keep me feeling satisfied as well... I drink at least a gallon a day and some times quite a bit more.

I think the thing that keeps me satisfied is the variety of textures in my meals.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    All carbohydrates are not created equal. Whole grains such as whole oats, barley, bulgur, whole grain bread and the carbohydrates in vegetables will probably keep you satisfied longer than refined carbohydrates, as others have mentioned. Also, don't be afraid of fat when it is mono- or poly-unsaturated. What are your macronutrient ratios? If find that the recommendations on this site for fat and protein is too low for me. I try to aim for about 40% carbohydrates (majority unrefined), 30% fat (poly- and mono-unsaturated mostly) and 30% protein.

In Jillian Michael's book, "Master your Metabolism" I remember reading the same suggestion for ratios. I have not changed my ratios yet, but I think I will now.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I second the 40/30/30 ratio.

Eat more protein and less refined carbs.

More whole grains and FIBER!
  • sanchezjenn
    Options
    THANK YOU!!! I knew there would be some of you out there with some GREAT answers!!! I made a yummy omelet this morning and so far that has made SUCH a difference!!!!!

Cheers to our success!!!!