Saw my daughter for the first time in 11 Years

Options
Aesop101
Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
Awkward doesn't describe it!

About a month ago my youngest daughter called. Haven't seen her in 11 years. I was laying in bed, dozing off, when the phone rang. Got up to see who called. It was from Houston. I also have a niece who lives there. However something about the call was different. Maybe I heard the voice that left the call while half asleep. Picked up the phone and took it to my bedroom where I laid it beside me in bed. There was a voice mail left on it but I didn't play it right away. Instead I just laid there thinking about it. Finally about an hour or two later I picked up the phone in the dead of night and played the message with the only light on being that of the phone's LCD.

It was my daughter. She was getting married and she was planning to get married in the Dominican Republic. Many thoughts went through my head. Probably my original thought is after all these years she needed a Dad prop for the wedding. I played through my head what I would say. "So how would this come about? You have the groom, the pastor, the bridesmaid, the ring, the flower girl but something is missing. Oh yeah, I need a Dad!" That was the thought I was holding onto throughout the night.

The next morning I called a friend before returning the call. She said, "What great news!" That changed my attitude. Then I thought of what a man told me many years ago when things weren't going my way, "Ron, No matter what you still have to do the right thing. Then I thought it over for a few hours of what I would say. My ex-wife has mental issues. She's currently in assisted living. Much of her problems were what drove a wedge between, not just my youngest daughter but my other kids as well. At least until they finally asked the question, "If it's this bad for us what was it like for dad?!" It was horrible. With these thoughts in mind I called my daughter. I honestly didn't know what emotions I would display. However I proudly controlled myself.

Jenn, it's your Pa.

Hi Dad!

She tells me more about her wedding and that she hadn't seen me in so long. Tells me where she's been and what she has done. Then I say, keeping my ex-wife in mind and going for some humor. Honey if you don't mind I'd like to offer some advice based upon my experience.

"Have you thought of giving him some type of ink blot test?" She laughs hard. "Tell him there are no wrong or right answers, well, of course when there is." She laughs some more.

She then said she would be in town on the 16th and would like to get together. We all decide on Cracker Barrel. Now it really gets awkward. No wait the really awkward comes later. We meet at Cracker Barrel. I'm a bit later than the others and come in with just too much going through my head. I'm hesitant and not really myself. But I put a good foot forward and think maybe she will compliment me on my weight loss. Then of all the stupid, awkward things to do, when she sees me I reach out and shake her hand. "Dad, what about a hug." Good lord. I give her a hug think about my really bad intro. Oh but it gets worse, much worse.

Finally we are seated. I sit next to my youngest, the one I hadn't seen in 11 years with my oldest daughter across from me and my son next to her. I tell my oldest, my son, and his wife I will pay for theirs. Then explain to my youngest they need it a little more than her. She makes great money and understands. Her and her fiance' bring their iPad which has all of their pictures. Pictures when they were in France, Peru, Sardinia, and China. She was in China running a marathon. I have their wedding site but I need permission before inserting the link. I, uh, showed them a picture of my red computer and my Jeep in the back yard loaded with bags of manure. Well gee dad, interesting.

We finished our meals and I pick up the tab for my other two kids. We're suppose to meet at Grandma's. First though I need to get some transmission fluid. The Jeep has a leak. So I swing by Autozone. Then head on to Mom's.

When I arrive at Mom's my daughter is still in the car with her fiance'. As I get out she gets out and comes towards me. "Dad, Adam's, her fiance', father just passed away!" It was unexpected.

What do you say? Not sure I could completely grapple with the days events. Here you want to have fun, be sympathetic, make amends, and yet I'm just perplexed putting it mildly.

Not so ironically that story continued. My daughter had to go to Florida to help Adam go through his dad's things. The funeral was on Christmas Eve and then they had Christmas the next day with Adam's family, watching the kids opening presents. She said it was an emotional roller coaster ride. The best way I can think of it is, Death one day and rebirth the next.

I suppose at this point there a quite a few things I could say that would be passe. What I will say is this, when folks ask me what kind of Christmas I had I tell them wonderful, my daughter called.

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Beautiful!!!
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! It's very true that the most valuable gifts life has to offer have nothing to do with money :smile: I wish you many more happy holidays with your family.
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful that you heard from your daughter and got the chance to see all your kids. It's bound to be awkward at first, but great that you've all taken the first steps to renewing your relationships. Sounds like a lovely Christmas. :)
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    They lost one dad and in a different way, they gained another.

Looks like a promising start to a new year.

Thanks for sharing your story.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Oh Ron... how wonderful you could all be together for that first meeting with your youngest. I hope things continue to change for the better. In my thoughts and prayers!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Awesome story!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    You haven't seen her in 11 years and you didn't buy her dinner?
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful way to spend the holidays! Sounds like they were realizing just how short life is and by losing one father, they felt the need to take hold of a relationship that could still be attained. Embrace it :smile:
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Wow, this was emotional for me just reading it, Merry Christmas to you:flowerforyou:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    glad you got to hear from her.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You made me cry! :noway:

I have a personal rule about crying at work and you made me break it! :grumble:

I'm really glad she called and that you are reconnecting with your kids. I hope the wedding is beautiful and no more tragedy befalls this happy occassion for you and your daughter! All my best! :flowerforyou:
  • noturninback
    noturninback Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!! Happy New Year to you & your family!!
  • lukester19
    lukester19 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What a great post. Reminds me of why family is important. I hope you have a great future.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!!

Agreed.

& correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you post almost this same thread 6 months or so ago??
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!!

Agreed.

& correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you post almost this same thread 6 months or so ago??

Yes same story he posted back in October
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!!

Agreed.

I'm really hoping that this is just an update. Didn't he say at the beginning that his daughter called about a month ago? Maybe he just got his time line wrong.

Stop being so critical. If his daughter was concerned about him not paying for her meal, then the story would have ended differently. Who are you to be offended on behalf of someone else who isn't?

Find some other thread to troll and leave this man alone! :mad:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!!

Agreed.

Thought so.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    First thanks everyone for the kind words.

Now to answer some questions.

My daughter makes great money and her fiance makes great money. They are the ones who suggested going dutch. My son's wife was recently laid off and my oldest daughter has been unemployed for quite a while. It didn't seem right to make them pay. It would almost seem like punishment to make them pay to be with the family. Prior to doing so I asked my youngest daughter if she understood. She actually seemed relieved that I picked up her siblings tab. She has been very very generous to her brother and sister. I think what she said was something like, "That is very okay."

My daughter called me just before her birthday in late November. So the earliest I could have posted was in mid November. With that time line no way could I have posted 6 months ago on this subject. What I posted about was just the phone call. December 15th or 16th was the dinner. With so many people on the board I felt I needed to add in the phone call. It sets up the meeting quite well.

For the record I sent my daughter a birthday gift of $50. She said "Wow you're the only one ever sent me money. Most ask for money."

I'm also sending my daughter money to cover some of what my oldest daughter has borrowed. Let me also say I'm recovering from being laid off for 3 years. So I have a tendency to save, pay off bills, and yet give assistance to my kids. It's a tough balancing act.

There is so much more to this story that I didn't tell. For one I found out a month or better prior to the phone call she was getting married. I found out 4th hand. She told my sister-in-law, who posted it on Facebook, where someone read it and told my Mom, who told me. Even my Mom's boyfriend knew more about it than I did. I was a bit angry. Where I quipped, "if Jenn wanted me to know I'm sure she would have called me." That was bitter sarcasm. Basically I was saying I don't want to hear it. Hence my attitude upon the call. Maybe that's a story I posted before. I don't know. I think I only put that up for my MFP friends.

The other side of the coin is my other two kids were advising Jenn to call. They said Jenn, you have to call. She had only planned on sending an invitation. Which I would have never replied to. They said Jenn was afraid to call because of the chance of rejection.

Did I handle everything perfect, nooooooo! Did I move in the right direction, yes.