HARDEST FOOD TO GIVE UP DURING WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY

Options
123457»

Replies

• lamarnnem
    Options
    Hostess Apple Pies well I had too because they are no longer making them. :(
  • Kerrylouu_
    Options
    fizzy drinks :(
  • Beyond_Value
    Beyond_Value Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yum maybe treat yourself after eating well 6 out of 7 days and do portion control and eat it slow.

I love chocolate and try to do in moderation.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to give up anything. All things in moderation. I couldn't go the rest of my life without ice cream. So I just don't eat half a gallon. One scoop and I'm done.

that's nice that you can do this but some people don't have the willpower so really the best thing is just staying away. everyone is different with this aspect of weight loss. so if you can have a little, great for you. i have to stay away from mini candy bars or i will eat 5 once i have 1.

If you don't train yourself, you will never have the willpower. :ohwell:

Self-control is a learned trait; it's not something you are born with.

for some of us, it is better to stay away. we have tried but fail. so the conclusion is, don't eat that. but whatever works for you. just remember we are all not the same when it comes to what works best for each of us.
  • newhabit
    Options
    I don't know many people that can buy 2 candy bars today and leave one for next week.

I wonder how many of them actually tried. It's called "delayed satisfaction." Yes, it comes naturally to some, but anyone can learn to do it.

not true. for some of us, not buying it IS the answer. what works for you, doesn't work for everyone. please stop assuming you understand everyone's mental process. just like alcoholics have triggers with drinking, some of us do with foods. that is what Overeaters Anonymous is based on. If you can have a glass of wine but someone else is an alcoholic you wouldn't force them to try the glass of wine.
  • lostsouls65
    lostsouls65 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well said, people end up gaining more weight if they give up food as they go back to eating more of that item
    I agree with the lady above me. You don't have to "give up" anything. I have lost 137 lbs this way but it is slow and steady - 8 years of my life I have been living this way, and that is the KEY - it is your life!! Don't give up things you love or ultimately you won't enjoy your life!
  • newhabit
    Options
    Well said, people end up gaining more weight if they give up food as they go back to eating more of that item
    I agree with the lady above me. You don't have to "give up" anything. I have lost 137 lbs this way but it is slow and steady - 8 years of my life I have been living this way, and that is the KEY - it is your life!! Don't give up things you love or ultimately you won't enjoy your life!

disagree - sugar can be an addiction. for some, the best option is cutting it out. for others, they do well with moderation. most naturally skinny people without eating issues ever can do fine with moderation. those of us that struggle it takes a little work. it's hard to say if moderation will work. just like any addiction. a gambling addict can't gamble " a little" and walk away, an alcoholic can't drink "a little" and walk away. and someone who knows what foods trigger them may be better off not eating them at all, especially sugary foods. the point i am trying to make is it is up to each of us to decide what will fit for us. some can do great with moderation of sugary treats. those of us who struggle have to decide what approach to take. we can all not take a "one size fits all" response to our weight loss. if we were naturally skinny we wouldn't be on here and have to find what works for us. i am so tired of all of those who say "oh you need more willpower"... no i don't. i need to not eat that stuff period because i know what will happen. great if you can do it, but it's not for everyone.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I have treats daily and try to fit what I want into my diet, It does sometimes trigger me to eat more, but I'm not changing what I'm doing because I want to learn self control, and not just have to put everything off limit.

One thing I haven't had since I started is KFC....I know it's disgusting, but I love it. I would eat about 8 pieces at a time and eat the leftovers in the morning...Really, I just want the skin....gross deliciousness...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't know many people that can buy 2 candy bars today and leave one for next week.

I wonder how many of them actually tried. It's called "delayed satisfaction." Yes, it comes naturally to some, but anyone can learn to do it.

not true. for some of us, not buying it IS the answer. what works for you, doesn't work for everyone. please stop assuming you understand everyone's mental process. just like alcoholics have triggers with drinking, some of us do with foods. that is what Overeaters Anonymous is based on. If you can have a glass of wine but someone else is an alcoholic you wouldn't force them to try the glass of wine.

No, it's not like alcoholism at all. That's rather insulting, actually. Food is a daily necessity. Getting drunk is not.

It *is* possible for anyone to develop habits. When you are small, your parents have to tell you every day to brush your teeth. They don't still call you to remind you, now do they? You brush every day because it's a habit, and your adult brain knows that if you don't brush your teeth, they will become diseased and lost to you forever.
  • newhabit
    Options

No, it's not like alcoholism at all. That's rather insulting, actually. Food is a daily necessity. Getting drunk is not.

It *is* possible for anyone to develop habits. When you are small, your parents have to tell you every day to brush your teeth. They don't still call you to remind you, now do they? You brush every day because it's a habit, and your adult brain knows that if you don't brush your teeth, they will become diseased and lost to you forever.

it's totally different than brushing your teeth. eating sugary sweet food is not a necessity. basic nutrition is a necessity. but alcohol, sugary treats, stuff like that is not necessary. for some it is a trigger food. and for some it is just liek any other addiction. that is why overeaters anonymous exists. that is why some people develop eating disorders. glad it's working out for you but please don't categorize everyone else as having the same personality that has an easier time developing willpower when it comes to certain foods. we all approach this differently. what works for one won't always work for another.
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Isn't is possible that people on both sides of this (extremely complex) issue are right?

It is possible to retrain onesself to enjoy everything in moderation AND for some people, that means giving things up now while they re-set their minds and bodies, and then learn to re-introduce things.

For me, I need to cut out sugar and flour for a while. My best thinking about moderation and "just one (more)" is what got me back up the scale, so I'm saying goodbye to cookies and crackers for a while. Once I get myself out of the refined carb cycle and its attendant blood sugar spikes and cravings, I can learn how to enjoy those things in moderation again. I maintained for quite a few years...and then I gained again. So for the forseeable future, I will be giving up some things...but that doesn't mean forever and ever, amen.

It was such an innocent question by the OP, too. :)
  • newhabit
    Options
    Isn't is possible that people on both sides of this (extremely complex) issue are right?

It is possible to retrain onesself to enjoy everything in moderation AND for some people, that means giving things up now while they re-set their minds and bodies, and then learn to re-introduce things.

For me, I need to cut out sugar and flour for a while. My best thinking about moderation and "just one (more)" is what got me back up the scale, so I'm saying goodbye to cookies and crackers for a while. Once I get myself out of the refined carb cycle and its attendant blood sugar spikes and cravings, I can learn how to enjoy those things in moderation again. I maintained for quite a few years...and then I gained again. So for the forseeable future, I will be giving up some things...but that doesn't mean forever and ever, amen.

It was such an innocent question by the OP, too. :)

yes that is what i am trying to say. some people think everyone can do it the same way and that's not the case. we have to do what works for us. whether it's moderation or cutting somethign out for a while or forever. each person is different with that especially if they have past eating disorders or addictions. that doesn't mean everyone shoudl give up stuff or everyone should do moderation, just what works for them. "have just one" is what also led to my weight gain. so i know i need to basically eat those things sparingly or just during the holidays but basically refrain from them otherwise. but i will never go around and tell peopel they need to develop more willpower, so just try one. that is not up for me to decide.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why the moderation people are mad.

No one is trying to invalidate anyone else's experience, but we're all different people, and for any lifestyle issue there's not a one size fits all solution. If it works for you, be happy you found something that works. If your friend says it doesn't work for them, respect that, smile, and move on.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    RIP cheese. You are very much missed.
  • doyewole
    Options
    Eating my weight in candy, cakes , cookies , pastas , breads and Chinese food multiple times a week . I've cut everything down to once or twice a week
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Greasy pepperoni and bacon pizza :P