Your workout routines!

Options
Hey guys! I've been gymming for quite a while now so I'd just like to share my routine with everyone, while getting inspired by you guys too!

I try to squeeze in 4-5 workouts a week, each lasting 45 - 50 minutes each. I love classes (body pump, body attack and yoga), but since the summer holidays I have not been able to join them, so I've just been on the treadmill (30 minutes), followed by 15 minute ab/legs/arms workouts. I've recently started doing HIITs by following youtube. So a typical week would consist of:

Monday: 30 minutes on the treadmill
Tuesday: 15 minute HIIT workout
Wednesday: 30 minutes on the treadmill + abs and arms
Friday: 30 minutes on the treadmill + cardio drill + abs
Sunday: 30 minutes jogging around the track + cardio drill + abs and legs

Thoughts? Thanks guys!

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    In the harsh words commonly seen on bb.com forums "This isn't a routine. It is a list of days and body parts" ;)
  • Everend
    Options
    Monday: 60 minute run, 40 minute Weights: chest, abs, legs, butt, shoulders, back, arms.

Tuesday: 40 minute Weights (same as above)

Wednesday: 60 minute run, 40 minute weights

Thursday: 40 minute weights

Friday: 60 minute run, 40 minute weights

Saturday: 40 minute weights

Sunday: Day of rest.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    abs should be treated like every other muscle, not worked out everyday. Also you should fit some back and chest workouts in there too.
  • fw93
    fw93 Posts: 18
    Options
    That's true but I'd like to think of my workouts as me-time that I feel good during and after. Some constructive advice could be helpful! This is why I posted what I'm doing and asking you guys to share thoughts and perhaps inspire my workouts :)
  • fw93
    Options
    Yeah I realised, but I'm not quite sure what to do with my back :/
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    What is your goal?

Without knowing that, I'll just say that there's way too much cardio and ab work (on consecutive days) and not enough weight lifting. 15 minutes to work ab/legs/arms is pointless. For example - I spend a workout (60 minutes) just working legs.

You'd be better off doing something like:

Cardio/abs
    weights
    rest
    repeat
  • fw93
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight so I try to fit in a lot of cardio. It's helped me train my endurance (which I'm rather proud of). I'm not sure about weights because I don't want to look to bulky - I've got a natural athletic build for a girl, so I've got some rather bulky biceps and quads already. I'm scared that weights will make them even bulkier? Correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks :)
  • RudyND
    RudyND Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight so I try to fit in a lot of cardio. It's helped me train my endurance (which I'm rather proud of). I'm not sure about weights because I don't want to look to bulky - I've got a natural athletic build for a girl, so I've got some rather bulky biceps and quads already. I'm scared that weights will make them even bulkier? Correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks :)

I have cardio like you and dont want to bulk. Been through that before. So as far as the weights, normally where I would do
    3 set of heanvy weight ten reps, now I will do less weight and more reps and a couple more set. Good for toning and cutting.
    It more enjoyable too!:smile:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options

You need to get away from the mindset that 1.Cardio is the ONLY way to lose weight and 2. Lifting weights will make you big. Sorry, but you are wrong on both accounts. Unless you have some kind of killer genetics you're not going to get big lifting heavy weights. It is REALLY hard as women to gain muscle. I've been at thisoff/on for 6 years and just in the past year have gotten really serious about my workouts and adding the big lifts - deadlifts, barbell squats, etc. I'm 5'6" and weight 125 lbs, small frame (size 4) and have good muscle tone in my arms. That's not from doing needless hours of cardio - that's from working hard, lifting heavy and eating right. I do cardio once a week, twice if I can fit it in my schedule.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options

You need to get away from the mindset that 1.Cardio is the ONLY way to lose weight and 2. Lifting weights will make you big. Sorry, but you are wrong on both accounts. Unless you have some kind of killer genetics you're not going to get big lifting heavy weights. It is REALLY hard as women to gain muscle. I've been at thisoff/on for 6 years and just in the past year have gotten really serious about my workouts and adding the big lifts - deadlifts, barbell squats, etc. I'm 5'6" and weight 125 lbs, small frame (size 4) and have good muscle tone in my arms. That's not from doing needless hours of cardio - that's from working hard, lifting heavy and eating right. I do cardio once a week, twice if I can fit it in my schedule.

I agree 100%!!

As women we do not have enough testosterone in our bodies to produce massive muscles. Weight lifting will cause you to tone up as well as lose weight. There's no way I could spend countless hours on a cardio machine and I'd WAY sooner do an hour of weight lifting than an hour of cardio, unless I'm doing a kickboxing or step aerobics class which I do twice a week alongside my 3 lifting days.

I have multiple lifting routines that I've done and continue to do which I've gotten from bodybuilding.com and Muscle and Fitness Hers (I bought a book with over 100 exercises).
  • fw93
    Options

Thanks for the help. I've got a relatively low body fat percentage - and that's from previous workouts and doing gymnastics from a younger age. This is why I thought that I needed no more weights. I used to do body pump and will do body pump again (barbell aerobics).
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I've got a relatively low body fat percentage - and that's from previous workouts and doing gymnastics from a younger age. This is why I thought that I needed no more weights. I used to do body pump and will do body pump again (barbell aerobics).

You're very welcome. Lifting weights has many benefits - weight loss, stronger bone density (important as a women), raises metabolic rate... just to name a few. EVERYONE should incorporate it in their training regimen. Cardio has it's benefits as well - weight loss, endurance, cardiovascular health. Everyone should incorporate it in their training regimen - the heart is a muscle and needs to be worked. The problem is cardio is usually all people incorporate in their training regimen and they're really missing out because of it.
  • fw93
    Options

You're very welcome. Lifting weights has many benefits - weight loss, stronger bone density (important as a women), raises metabolic rate... just to name a few. EVERYONE should incorporate it in their training regimen. Cardio has it's benefits as well - weight loss, endurance, cardiovascular health. Everyone should incorporate it in their training regimen - the heart is a muscle and needs to be worked. The problem is cardio is usually all people incorporate in their training regimen and they're really missing out because of it.

So I was thinking... 3 days of cardio and 2 days of weights? I'll sign up to a personal trainer to get me started on weights, seeing as I have no idea what I could do ha! Thanks again :) Oh and any advice on HIIT? I personally love interval training, cos it gets me sweating and destresses me.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options
    So I was thinking... 3 days of cardio and 2 days of weights? I'll sign up to a personal trainer to get me started on weights, seeing as I have no idea what I could do ha! Thanks again :) Oh and any advice on HIIT? I personally love interval training, cos it gets me sweating and destresses me.

I think finding a good trainer that can show you good form and write you a good program would be a great place to start.

As far as HIIT, it's just a fancy word for going all out cardio wise for say 1-2 minutes, then resting for 2-4 minutes and repeating for say 25-30 minutes. You can do this many ways - running, biking, boxing, etc. Find something fun that you enjoy and go for it!
  • RudyND
    RudyND Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I've been gymming for quite a while now so I'd just like to share my routine with everyone, while getting inspired by you guys too!

I try to squeeze in 4-5 workouts a week, each lasting 45 - 50 minutes each. I love classes (body pump, body attack and yoga), but since the summer holidays I have not been able to join them, so I've just been on the treadmill (30 minutes), followed by 15 minute ab/legs/arms workouts. I've recently started doing HIITs by following youtube. So a typical week would consist of:

Monday: 30 minutes on the treadmill
    Tuesday: 15 minute HIIT workout
    Wednesday: 30 minutes on the treadmill + abs and arms
    Friday: 30 minutes on the treadmill + cardio drill + abs
    Sunday: 30 minutes jogging around the track + cardio drill + abs and legs

Thoughts? Thanks guys!

You look great... I think you're fine what you are doing. If you are happy with this and its fun then do it. Why do a work you're not happy with. Just mix it up a bit. put some chest in there and knock it out!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Yeah I realised, but I'm not quite sure what to do with my back :/

pull ups, pendlay rows, good mornings, back hyper-extensions.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'd love some advice as I don't have a clue what I'm doing and just started trying out the weights section at the gym.

10 goblet Squats with dumbbells

25 Mountain Climbers

Dumbbell Swings (10 with right 10 with left))

6 Dumbbell T Pushup with dumbbells (and sadly they're not done very well but I'm getting there)

21 Dumbbell Curl (7 left, 7 right, 7 for both)

10 Dumbbell Rows

10 Dumbbell Side Lunges

6 Dumbbell pushup rows (wish I could do more...but I can't really get down low enough to my liking yet)

10 Dumbbell Lunges with rotation

10 Dumbbell push press

repeat 3 times.