The Deal with Interval Training...

Options
Ok, so the PT at my gym has always told me that interval training is the way to lose fat. I actually enjoy running like that anyway.
My question is, how should I be doing it ratio wise.
When I ran today I did 1:30 running, 0:45 walking slow
But then I thought, no I should be running over double, so tried 1:30 running to 0:30 walking.

What is the ultimate way of doing it? I know that the harder part should be at least 2:1... or am I wrong?

Oh dear...

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    sorry, I can't help, but I am curious to see how others respond....
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think this is going to vary widely. My husband has a PT and he has him doing 20 secs of high intensity with 1:40 at a steady pace. The most important key to this is that you HAVE to go ALL OUT during your intensity segment and I mean ALL OUT. As long as you are doing some version of HIIT, you will more than likely see results regardless of the ration.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Askthe PT at your gym?

Failing that, I'd recommend starting at a work:rest ration of 1:4 and build from there. Do 20 minutes at that, and see how you feel by the end. Increase it to 1:3, 1:2 and eventually 1:1 when you can. If you are already at 1:1 then great, push the time out to 30mins and then start doing 2:1 work:rest. I don't know anyone who does any longer than this 2:1 ratio myself. As you get fitter you just work harder at the 2:1 ratio (ie run even faster or increase the incline/resistance/etc).

As said, the work rate needs to be flat out though, talking 90% and up for your HRM. Your recovery time should be enough to get you back to 65% ish before hitting the work time again.

In my opinion it's the best way to spend 20-30mins in terms of "fat burning" and improving cardiovascular fitness.
  • MrsBach
    MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    NROLFW says to do 1 min and 1 min. In fact, I made a quick reference chart for my treadmill intervals and my matrix workout. Sorry the chart didn't convert well.

Treadmill

Speed Time Recovery Speed Recovery Time
    4 1 minute n/a n/a
    5.5 2 minutes n/a n/a
    7 1 minute 4 1 minute
    7.5 1 minute 4 1 minute
    8 1 minute 4 1 minute
    8.5 1 minute 4 1 minute
    8.5 1 minute 4 1 minute

MATRIX

24 squats
    12 lunges
    12 lunge jumps
    24 squat jumps
    Rest for half the time it took to do this, then repeat.
  • koolmum
    Options
    As far as I know, there are no right and wrong way to do intervals ~ just as long as your heartrate is fluctuating.

The guidelines I follow are:
    Beginners ~ 1:2 example 30 sec high intensity:1 min rest OR low intensity (depending on fitness level)
    Intermediate ~ 1:1 example 1 min HI:1 min LI (or rest depending on fitness level)
    Advanced ~ 2:1 example 2 min HI:1 min LI (or rest, again, as above)

There are also Max HR guidelines that I personally use but, you can use your own system of "If you can still carry on a conversation while doing the High Intensity, you're not working hard enough."

There is also Tabata style intervals ~ 20 sec HI:10 sec rest X 8 cycles (this is great with burpees!)

Hope that helps!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've done 1 minute fast, 2 minutes slow but normally I do 30 seconds fast, 60 seconds slow for 15-20 minutes. I have no idea if there's an ultimate way to time the intervals. A coworker of mine does 15 seconds fast with 45-60 seconds recovery.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The goal of the rest portion is to have your heart rate go back down. How low depends on you, but generally speaking the fitter you are (cardiac fitness), the faster it will take. In the beginning just go 1:1, so if you run hard for 1 min, rest for 1, and if you run for 2 min, rest for 2, etc. As you get fitter, you can start decreasing your rest time. But how long you rest also depends on how hard you do the high intensity portion. The goal, as I said before, is for your heart rate to go back to where you feel you are just ready for your next interval. You will get a better idea as you do more intervals.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    When I did interval stuff I always did
    30-45 seconds running, then a minute or so of jogging.
    There was never really a walking, I'd slow down enough to let my heart rate recover a bit. but the 30 seconds was a flat out sprint pretty much.

I prefered to do it on the elliptical or cybex
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    there's no ultimate way.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Can't really ask the PT at gym as I used to use him but I stopped and he think he not very happy with me! Also I think each PT has his own methods, and my pt wasnt a big cardio fan at all!

It's interesting that so many of you said 1:1 as the ideal, as I thought the goal was to kind of trick the body into thinking that you were hard at work the whole time, which means that you have to be working out more than resting.... I used to do it running and then actually stopping, as in jumping to side of treadmill and then after 30 sec or the like, jumping back on.... now I actually slow down the treadmill and walk...

Either way in your opinion should you stop completely, take it slower etc
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    On a treadmill, I start at
    5 for 1 minute
    5.5 for 1
    6 for 1
    6.5 for 1
    7 for 1

Then, 5.5 for 1
    6 for 1
    6.5 for 1
    7 for 1
    7.5 for 1

6 for 1
    6.5 for 1
    7 for 1
    7.5 for 1
    8 for 1

6.5 for 1
    7 for 1
    7.5 for 1
    8 for 1
    9 for 1

Cool down.

That's my routine. I do variations but that's the main gist of my training after lifting.
  • joeint
    joeint Posts: 31
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor, I usually go 3 min hard, HR between 150 and 160, and 2 min easy, HR recovers to around 130-135. I do this for 45 min. I'm not sure this is the best way, but I am sure its better than no way. I see an exercise physiologist on Jan 16, this was one of the questions I had for him. I'll let you know what his opinion is.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Lets not forget that interval training has a significant recovery cost. Much greater than low-moderate intensity steady state. You only have so much recovery to go around. If strength training is part of your overall program, interval training will impact negatively, with the impacts becoming more and more severe as you get stronger and in better cardio shape.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I do 30 seconds running and one minute walking for about 20 mins! That and long runs have helped me to reduced my pace from 11.5mins to 9.5min miles! so definitely works. Also my hrm monitor shows that I burn more in 20 mins of an interval run then 29mins for a 5k!
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    First of all a sports physiologist???? what exactly is that?
    In terms of recovery and all the rest, I am not a die hard athletic, and I don't think I give 100% to every workout, in fact which one us really does that?
    I am trying to burn fat, trim etc. I want to do that in the most effective way. I think alot of people on here are like that. Also, I know I cannot run 5k straight at this point in my life. So if I stay on treadmill for 20 min and I do 1.5 min running to 30sec walking, surely I am going to end up running more than if I tried to run, then had to walk because couldn't cope etc.

In all honesty, as long as heart rate is going up significantly, I would think any form of movement and exercise is good for you. ALl this would depend on an end goal, and seeing as this varies, we have to do what works for each person....

I managed to increase my speed today, whilst decrease my down time, that is an improvement... both in terms of calorie burn, and distance... I would assume then that my body is working harder and weight loss will be quicker...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Lets not forget that interval training has a significant recovery cost. Much greater than low-moderate intensity steady state. You only have so much recovery to go around. If strength training is part of your overall program, interval training will impact negatively, with the impacts becoming more and more severe as you get stronger and in better cardio shape.

Huh?
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    1 minute of work 30 seconds of rest 30-45 minutes total. I dont do mine on the treadmill though i use various stations that incorporate different gym equipment like battling ropes, kettle bells, bosu balls, a step, medicine balls and a few others...