Can you see results in 6 months from lifting?

Options
SO. I'm going to Italy in June. It's January (more or less) now. So if I do Stronglifts 5x5 consistently, as in like, 3 times a week and eat right (or the best I can), can I see some results? I'm a size 14 now. I dunno what I'm aiming for in that time frame other than less body fat, but can I see changes like those by june? Thanks! (:

Replies

• cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should be able to see some changes; I have been lifting since beginning of October and can definitely see changes to my body.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Deleted
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Yeah you'll see significant changes with six months of consistent work. You won't be perfect, but definitely improved. Best of luck.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    In just 30 days of lifting I saw results. Obviously I didn;t get to my goal in that time but i started seeing major changes in just 30 days!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    That entirely depends on your diet.

I've been lifting for a little over a year now. Because of diet waffling, here is the end result:
    1) I am 3x stronger in most ways.
    2) I look exactly the same.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I was size 14 when I started. In six months I went down to size 8, huge difference (I have lost 25 lbs, so about 1 lbs per week).
    I wasn't lifting then. You should get better results, if you keep lifting and stick to your deficit.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. You will see some results. Not a transformation. But results. If you don't get started, you never will see anything.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    SO. I'm going to Italy in June. It's January (more or less) now. So if I do Stronglifts 5x5 consistently, as in like, 3 times a week and eat right (or the best I can), can I see some results? I'm a size 14 now. I dunno what I'm aiming for in that time frame other than less body fat, but can I see changes like those by june? Thanks! (:

Within 30 days you should see changes with proper diet. With lifting you may not lose much weight but you can easily drop 2-3 dress sizes in 6 months of lifting and proper diet. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    be disciplined and you will see great results in 6 months.

but i hope that the results you are hoping for are realistic.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Diet diet diet is key...if you lift for 6 months without a proper diet, you will probably not see any changes. With a good diet though, you'll see changes for sure. Significant changes though, that depends on where you're starting from.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It has much to do with your BF% I've been lifting since July and had a surgery in there where I was not able to lift for four weeks. My arms and legs are definitely more conditioned and they are feeling harder to the touch instead of soft. However my BF% is still too high to see a lot of definition. I can see some. Regardless, start now because it is so good for your body. You will not regret it for a minute. Good luck!
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    Yes you will see a difference, newbie gains are great.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Body changes occur quickest in the kitchen. Weight lifting is about shaping, toning and strength. However if you have the wrong diet, you'll miss out on the major changes.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've seen changes within weeks. I don't see why not.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In most cases yes, I would expect you to see significant changes in 6 months.
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've been watching my caloric intake for about 3 months now. I'm not strictly regimented on it, but cut out the junk food, fast food, a lot of (but not all) of my beer consumption (limit myself to 3 64 calorie beers a night....though from time to time I cheat). About a month and a half ago or so (roughly) I started hitting the gym, doing basically light lifting 2X week for upper and the same for lower body, along with 30-45 minutes of a brisk walk (4.3 mph) on the treadmill. I hit the gym about 5 times per week...not a saint about it, but I'm getting better as the results are really starting to show.

I wish I would have taken measurements back when I started, because others are really starting to notice (especially my fiancee....the most important one!). I just had to buy a new belt because my last one wasn't even helping hold up my pants any more (which are all loose now). My shirts don't stretch around my belly anymore. I don't crave food all the time like I used to either. On top of all of that, I'm down 30 lbs from where I started (I started at 265 lbs, 6'0" tall). I'm down to 235 now and looking better than I have in years.....that is only 3 months of making the conscious decision to lose weight. I'm hoping to be in the 220's by the end of january.

You will definitely see results, just stick with it through the first month or two (which can be so discouraging because if you aren't working out and watching your diet now, that first couple of weeks you seem to drop a ton, but then it slows down. However, stick with it because i've noticed that when I'm not noticing changes on the scale, THAT is when my fiancee seems to notice most of the changes in appearance.

Neither of us will probably be 6-pack toting, action hero bodied by June. However, this is for the long haul, and once you start seeing the changes and feeling your clothes fit looser, the motivation kinda works on its own. I'm loving it! you will too.
  • MrsBach
    MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! You will see results. I started at size 14 last New Years' Eve and was wearing a juniors size 9 by June. I logged all my calories, and did a combination of lifting and cardio. Stick with a good plan and it would be impossible to fail.

Also, take before pictures and measurements. I did but then lost them and wish I could compare because although I'm not losing any weight, my pants are getting to be too large on me. I know why, but can't prove it without those starting numbers.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    When you all say "good diet" what do you mean? I have a 1400 calorie deficit. I try to stay within that. And I try to limit fast food and stuff, though I do eat a few processed things like oreos now and then. Is it okay to slip up a little once and a while? and when eating well, is that for being within the deficit or what I consume, as well?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    When you all say "good diet" what do you mean? I have a 1400 calorie deficit. I try to stay within that. And I try to limit fast food and stuff, though I do eat a few processed things like oreos now and then. Is it okay to slip up a little once and a while? and when eating well, is that for being within the deficit or what I consume, as well?

Depends on goals.

Calorie reduction to see a loss of body fat, and more definition. "Toning.".. just kidding. "Cutting"
    Calorie increase to build muscle mass (And fat.) "Bulking."
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options

Depends on goals.

Calorie reduction to see a loss of body fat, and more definition. "Toning.".. just kidding. "Cutting"
    Calorie increase to build muscle mass (And fat.) "Bulking."

Oh okay. So what i'm doing is good for me, then. I'm trying to lose body fat.
    thank you (: