Help! Binge Eating During the Holidays

Options
Anyone else in the same boat as myself? I could cry right now...I have been on a binge eating spree the last week (and I still have 2 christmas/New years family parties to get through!)...after 2 full months of eating clean and getting regular exercise, the holiday (gym is closed and now a snow storm has hit) I have been eating until my stomach is distended and hurts and still just keep on shoveling it in....I feel so depressed but for whatever reason I can't seem to harness myself....Each day I start off pretty strong and in the evening I can't stop eating...and eating...and eating! my husband can't understand why I don't just use some self control, but it just hurts to hear that because I would if I could....I have worked so hard to get to the fitness level I am at, and now I have gained 7lbs in 5 days by eating a super depressing 6,500-7,500 calories a day. What kind of tactics can I use to self-help here? I am killing myself from the inside out...why is it so hard to find that self control my husband thinks I should have?

Replies

• TallAndSkinny22
    Options
    Anyone else in the same boat as myself? I could cry right now...I have been on a binge eating spree the last week (and I still have 2 christmas/New years family parties to get through!)...after 2 full months of eating clean and getting regular exercise, the holiday (gym is closed and now a snow storm has hit) I have been eating until my stomach is distended and hurts and still just keep on shoveling it in....I feel so depressed but for whatever reason I can't seem to harness myself....Each day I start off pretty strong and in the evening I can't stop eating...and eating...and eating! my husband can't understand why I don't just use some self control, but it just hurts to hear that because I would if I could....I have worked so hard to get to the fitness level I am at, and now I have gained 7lbs in 5 days by eating a super depressing 6,500-7,500 calories a day. What kind of tactics can I use to self-help here? I am killing myself from the inside out...why is it so hard to find that self control my husband thinks I should have?

This was me two months ago... I honestly had 4 weeks where almost every other day I binged until I couldn't possibly anymore (around 10000 calls). It sucks! And after the last 8 months of working so hard and being in the best shape of my life, I felt like it was all slipping away. It was a bumpy road for me, the past two months I have still had a couple binges... even today I was looking at all the left over christmas baking and wanted to just dig in, but I have slowly built up my self control.

I truly think it's a process of rebuilding, you will stumble, and it will suck. It feels terrible, but just keep trying to fight it with everything you've got and eventually you'll get back to where you want to be.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I think we all go through this during the holidays, it's too hard to not celebrate with food, etc. The problem is when ya fall off the bandwagon. I gained some weight back as well. But I started today back to logging, watching portions and exercise. If ya can't go to the gym try a you tube video, or something like that. Put down the food, walk away and workout. Hope this helps.
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    re: "eating until my stomach is distended and hurts and still just keep on shoveling it in" This sounds like pretty serious stuff.
    My guess is that you may have been pretty restrictive with your diet. But I'm only guessing.
    I wonder if the advice on this website (by a former FDA commissioner ) may help you... http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/compulsive-overeating-and-how-to-stop-it
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had a peek in your diary.

Ok it hasn't been pretty the last few days... that over and done...here are my musings as to WHY you can't stop now that you have allowed yourself to eat.

Your calories are set at 1200 ...(warning..I am going to tell it to you like you body is doing right now - shouting) IT IS WAY TO LOW FOR YOU! You are binging and can't stop because your body is driving you to eat - famine is over so feast begins. And continues. So your body can store fat ready for the next famine. Welcome to caveman(woman). For the past two months you have been effectively eating less than your body needs to perform the most basics of life and now it is not happy with you. You have restricted yourself too much and now you body is trying to regain the deficit.

Here is the GOOD news. Of course you can fix this. As of now. Do some research on your BMI (the base calories your body needs to breathe and that's about it - and I will be you it is MORE than the nasty 1200 you are set at). Next, look truthfully at your daily energy expenditure (called your TDEE). You need to be eating between these two numbers to lose weight and still feel like you are not going to gnaw the table in half.

There is an awesome thread on this call 'in place of a roadmap' so use the search function to find it. After this set your calories manually to a level at about 20% below the TDEE and EAT every single calorie you can have.

DON"T DESPAIR....this is stoppable and you can do this.
  • alanahbastion
    Options
    same :( but time to stop now!! and start fresh :) **** food vs a healthy sexy bod ? easy one hun! you can do it x
  • ElliieMental
    Options

I am not trying to convert you to the low carb life but I honestly never got a handle on my binge eating until I gave up refined sugars, grains, pulses, starchy veg etc. It cause insulin spikes which put your appetite on this insatiable rollercoaster. I've been bingeing on carbs and sugar for the last week too and I couldn't wait to stop this time! I felt so ill from all the crap I'd been shovelling in and so sad at how I kept shovelling it in regardless!
  • PamPeekeMD
    Options
    Binge eating may not be a sign of weakness. It is often an addiction in exactly the same effects as alcohol or cocaine. Science now shows through new tools like PET and MRI brain scans the addiction-related organic changes that take place in the reward system and the prefrontal cortex. This occurs across all additions, from drugs and alcohol to the newly discovered food addiction. This new pioneering research is also helping us to appreciate a holistic and integrative approach to addiction. I was first senior research fellow in the NIH Office of Complementary Medicine. Using food addiction as template, THE HUNGER FIX addiction plan integrates personal empowerment, spirituality, along with whole food nutrition and restorative physical activity. Shame, blame and guilt must be neutralized with compassion, empathy and then the tools of self-empowerment.

The good news -- and there IS good news -- is that a program of foods high in dopamine- and serotonin-boosting chemicals, along with numerous brain-amping activities (from simple exercise to listening to music) can regrow those receptors and bring the confidence of fulfillment and health.

Good luck getting back on track!
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Or, could it be a holiday related depression or SAD? Snowed in? Are you getting enough sun/vitamin D? Anything make you sad about the holidays? The family parties have you in nerves? Have you lost enough that you will be noticed or remarked upon?

You say you feel so depressed but is it because of the eating or something else that is bothering you? Are you mad or resentful with husband for what he did or did not get you for Christmas? Upset with some other family? Seems the holidays bring out some powerful emotions in us about how things should be and if they don't go that way you could be depressed and start eating.

If you start binge eating tonight ask your DH to butt out until you figure out what is going on. But if something is bugging you about what did or did not happen during the holidays let it out. Even if it is something silly like you are pissed his mother gave you an iron to iron HIS shirt for Christmas.
  • ChristiMightGetFit
    Options
    Thank you sooo much for all the outpouring of love and support as well as all the information! I have been really busy today, but I am going to take the time here to thoroughly read though, process and put some thought into some of these tips and thought provoking ideas!! I just can't thank enough...Thank you so much for your responses in my time of feeling so weak!!! You have really inspired me to keep on keepin on! :smile:
  • ChristiMightGetFit
    Options

Ok it hasn't been pretty the last few days... that over and done...here are my musings as to WHY you can't stop now that you have allowed yourself to eat.

Your calories are set at 1200 ...(warning..I am going to tell it to you like you body is doing right now - shouting) IT IS WAY TO LOW FOR YOU! You are binging and can't stop because your body is driving you to eat - famine is over so feast begins. And continues. So your body can store fat ready for the next famine. Welcome to caveman(woman). For the past two months you have been effectively eating less than your body needs to perform the most basics of life and now it is not happy with you. You have restricted yourself too much and now you body is trying to regain the deficit.

Here is the GOOD news. Of course you can fix this. As of now. Do some research on your BMI (the base calories your body needs to breathe and that's about it - and I will be you it is MORE than the nasty 1200 you are set at). Next, look truthfully at your daily energy expenditure (called your TDEE). You need to be eating between these two numbers to lose weight and still feel like you are not going to gnaw the table in half.

There is an awesome thread on this call 'in place of a roadmap' so use the search function to find it. After this set your calories manually to a level at about 20% below the TDEE and EAT every single calorie you can have.

You have no idea how much it means to me that you took the time to look into my info to see what I might be having issues with. I will definitely be looking into my numbers and TDEE and seeing if I can readjust so that I don't feel like I am starving all the time! Thank you for the encouragement!!
  • ChristiMightGetFit
    Options
    Or, could it be a holiday related depression or SAD? Snowed in? Are you getting enough sun/vitamin D? Anything make you sad about the holidays? The family parties have you in nerves? Have you lost enough that you will be noticed or remarked upon?

You say you feel so depressed but is it because of the eating or something else that is bothering you? Are you mad or resentful with husband for what he did or did not get you for Christmas? Upset with some other family? Seems the holidays bring out some powerful emotions in us about how things should be and if they don't go that way you could be depressed and start eating.

If you start binge eating tonight ask your DH to butt out until you figure out what is going on. But if something is bugging you about what did or did not happen during the holidays let it out. Even if it is something silly like you are pissed his mother gave you an iron to iron HIS shirt for Christmas.

Thank you for your ideas! That last part about the iron made me chuckle :-D But I think you may be right .. I do think I suffer from a bit of SAD, and I have totally forgotten the wonders of taking extra vitamin D. I have in the past and that does help in some ways. I think this, along with possibly readjusting my calories when I am "on track" so that I don't have such a deficit, may be some really helpful keys to future success!! Thank you so much!
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I haven't binged quite that bad calorie high wise, but I've binged more days than I want this month, like 1500-2000 calories over my limit several days a week. I never used to binge eat before calorie counting on mfp, ever. And I eat 1800-2100 calories a day to lose weight, so I feel like I don't even have a "reason" like you might since you've been eating at 1200 cals. Oh well, try to be better tomorrow I guess. I feel like like a PP said that it's an addiction, and I've dealt with a nicotine and caffeine addiction in my past, so I really feel like I need to do something about this before it really gets out of control, I just don't know what because this is totally new to me. Good luck to us all.
  • ChristiMightGetFit
    Options

I am not trying to convert you to the low carb life but I honestly never got a handle on my binge eating until I gave up refined sugars, grains, pulses, starchy veg etc. It cause insulin spikes which put your appetite on this insatiable rollercoaster. I've been bingeing on carbs and sugar for the last week too and I couldn't wait to stop this time! I felt so ill from all the crap I'd been shovelling in and so sad at how I kept shovelling it in regardless!

elemental8181, Thanks for the tip :) When I am on track, I do try to stick to as low processed carbs as possible...I think it's a great habbit to have. but I am also a huge chocolate fan, so I tend to eat trail-mix that has chocolate pieces in it like every day, and I have calcium supplements that are dark chocolate. After this past week of re-introducing all those carb/sugar/salt/grease heavy foods I also feel Ill ...and that is why I am so upset that I can't stop myself....becuase I am making myself sick and it doesn't seem to matter to my brain, that feels compulsed to eat eat eat. My dinner was terrible tonight but I, however, got back to the gym tonight too..which really seems to be the thing that keeps me in line...being there in the evening (when I tend to binge if I am home or at a party) keeps me from eating, and makes me feel so much better.
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Cut out the sugar! Seriously. The more sugar you eat, the more you want to eat. Some people can handle having one piece of candy or a slice of cake and move on (lucky), but with others it just makes them crave more and starts the binge cycle. I took a brief look at your diary and I saw some days you have around 30g of sugar which is okay, but others are 50g - 80g and some are 100g- 280g! That's waaaay too much sugar.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have been eating thousands of calories over my 'goal' and I haven't work-out at all. I now have gained 8 lbs. I to cried over it ( and cries and cried). Today I just said to myself, yes you gaineds 8 lbs, yes that sucks but you can't go back and undo it , whats done is done but today (Friday the 28th) is me getting back on track. It took only 12 days to gain it and it might take me 60 days or so to lose it again but I WILL lose it again. Try to gett all your crying out (it's not good to hold it in) then look at yourself in the mirror and say "Thats it I'm done, today I AM on track again". What I'm going to do is right my weight on my hands so when I go to grab the ffod I'll see that number and remember those few seconds of food pleasure is NOT worth it. Good luck to you, remember we are stronger than we think.
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I have been so bad I haven't logged the last week out of fear...so I know where you are coming from!!!!

During holidays, I try and go on maintenance calories instead, to give myself some slack (and less guilt when I go over...someone, going from 1300kcal to 1500kcals and then go over by 200 doesn't look as bad as if I had gone over more...) I thin that you just need to count down until the holidays end, but slowly start getting into it over the next few days so that you don't have to go cold turkey.

I am now starting logging things in again, despite knowing I have a birthday and New Years drink fest to start. But my goal is to be back on my standard calories by the 7th of January, so I am trying to slowly cut down my intake over the next week. Because like you, when I was let off the leash...well, let's just say there is not a single deep fried snack left in the house ;)

We're all on your side, we understand it all...and you are not alone!!!!!!
  • mymonty
    mymonty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know I'm late on this one, but I've given myself a week of eating whatever I want without any accountability. Well pounds and pounds later, I'm reflecting on it as wreckless. I put the breaks on and as of yesterday started tracking again. Next year, I will have to approach the holidays differently. Cut waaaay back on the speacialty nuts and the amount of baking I do. I have lots of it left over and some containers not even opened. All I can do now is try to stay focused and rely on the support and motivation from the friends I have on MFP. They really are great and supportive. What burns me the most is I had lost 18 pounds and now at least 6 are back and it took me a while to lose that. So, as tempting as the food demon is, I just have to take it one meal at a time to get myself back on track. Good luck in your journey! You know you have a friend in me and all the other people here who have offered amazing words of encouragement. And thank you all as I feel better from all of you, sharing your experiences.
  • mymonty
    mymonty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow, I did the exact same thing! Didn't log in, gave myself the extra calories (of course I ended up going way over) and now have to pull myself back on track. Not easy at all.

I sooooo know where you're coming from! Good Luck and keep me posted!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options

You have no idea how much it means to me that you took the time to look into my info to see what I might be having issues with. I will definitely be looking into my numbers and TDEE and seeing if I can readjust so that I don't feel like I am starving all the time! Thank you for the encouragement!!

She is absolutely right....I binged out last year a few times very badly and it scared me because as you described - I couldn't stop...I researched it and long story short I was being too restrictive and eating too few calories...I corrected the issue and it hasn't happened since. If I can be of any help - just let me know, Best of luck to you girl.
  • JayRod2519
    JayRod2519 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I went overboard on Xmas day especially, but the few days leading up to it weren't great either. My wife went to a cookie exchange party and I made cookies with my girls, so it was like "Hey, you can't let all these cookies go to waste!". I think I gained about 5 lbs, and I honestly felt sick about it.
    I have been adjusting my caloric intake so I can still have a cookie or 2 (or 3) at night, but still be at or below my daily caloric goal. It helps to be able to have a little treat, although the huge tray of 12 different types of cookies is extremely tempting.
    Good Luck!!