Making Whey protien shakes taste better

Options
So today I tried making my first blended protien shake and it is good but has a weird after taste. Does anyone have any advise to get rid of it. I added no sugar so maybe that's it.

My shake is
3/4 Greek Vannilla Yogurt
1 1/2 Soy Milk
1 1/2 Blueberries
1 scoop of Whey Protien powder
1 teaspoon Vannilla Extract
1 1/2 cup of ice

Replies

• Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You do NOT want to add sugar to anything. It must be your protien powder becuase mine are delicious!!! Try unsweetened vanilla almond milk. The brands I would recommend of protein powder would be Dynamize, About Time, Optimum Nutritation, GNC or Sunwarrior. You can get them on Amazon.com, GNC, The Vitamin Shoppe.
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not SUGAR sugar I mean like splenda or Triva to try and kick the after taste lol. I try my best to stay away from Sugar at all cost since that was my weakness
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I add a teaspoon of stevia most of the time to mine.

I do a variety of different flavours but my base recipe is

Half a frozen banana
    Scoop of protein powder
    Tsp stevia
    1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
    Handful of ice
    (Usually) handful of spinach
    Then I add coffee/cocoa/pb2/vanilla/cinnamon etc depending on what flavours I'm in the mood for
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the protein powder you use - I use HerbaLife Formula 1 and it is not sweet at all on its own - so it picks up the flavors of my ingredients nicely with no after taste. One I like (I use the NutiBullet - hands down smoothest, creamiest shakes I have ever made at home) is this one:

half cup crushed ice
    banana
    tablespoon of natural peanut or almond butter
    scoop of Formula 1 protein powder
    1.5 ups of unsweetened almond milk

YUM and works great as a meal replacement
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm a peanut butter junkie and there's a great product called PB2, which is a powdered form of peanut butter that has all the oils and fats removed. 2TBSP is only 45 calories and I typically use half of that in my whey shakes and they taste fantastic.
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've heard of the PB2 though I didn't know it had a powder form. Thanks I'll check it out
  • MrsBach
    MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just use Nyogin protein powder with water and a squirt of Mio.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    So today I tried making my first blended protien shake and it is good but has a weird after taste. Does anyone have any advise to get rid of it. I added no sugar so maybe that's it.

My shake is
    3/4 Greek Vannilla Yogurt
    1 1/2 Soy Milk
    1 1/2 Blueberries
    1 scoop of Whey Protien powder
    1 teaspoon Vannilla Extract
    1 1/2 cup of ice

You might not like the taste of the whey protein you're using I get Spirulina now instead. Also, soy milk is gross; you might want to change that for something with a better taste like vanila enriched rice dream or even milk. Lastly, isn't greek yogurt kind of not sweet? I'd use something else.

My preworkout smoothies are simple: low fat yogurt, calcium enriched OJ, and half a scoop of protein powder. Ether vanilla on the yogurt and pp, or coffee/chocolate.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Bump.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    gnc whey is spectacular. the advanced kind is a little ick, but the regular whey rocks.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I like using BSN syntha 6. It honestly tastes great, and I hate that protein-y taste.

I mix it with milk, ice, & instant coffee (chocolate milkshake flavor). Although many people I know just drink it with ice & water.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I use protein shake mixes that taste AaaaAAAaaaMAAAAZING on their own. No need to add anything.
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Whey Factors Chocolate is the best protein powder I've ever tried. No need for extra sugar or sugar sub. Today I made a peppermint mocha type drink:

1 scoop Whey Factors Chocolate
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1.5 teaspoons instant coffee
    2-4 drops of pure peppermint extract

Shake in blender cup.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    You could... just get better protein. There's plenty of them out there that are good with just water, so you don't need to add extra calories with all that other stuff.
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt with my protein powder ... that and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I use either myoplex or 100% casein vanilla. with fruit I never have to sweeten. I agree about switching from soy. blech
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    What kind do you have, is it flavored? I always buy the Vanilla flavor Whey. The unflavored kind is a bit "off" in taste, to me.

And I second the adding of PB2. I do a scoop of protein powder, 2 TB PB2, milk and ice. It's awesome.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I agree there are other protien powders that taste fine on their own.

Do try and stay away from soy though. Use almond milk or even coconut milk.
  • ceceoplaymate
    ceceoplaymate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm a peanut butter junkie and there's a great product called PB2, which is a powdered form of peanut butter that has all the oils and fats removed. 2TBSP is only 45 calories and I typically use half of that in my whey shakes and they taste fantastic.

THIS^. I use this all the time, had a shake today with pb2 :)
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    1 scoop Pure Protein Frosty Chocolate protein powder
    1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 small banana
    a couple of ice cubes

YUM! Tastes better if you let it chill for a few minutes in the freezer after blended and then blend it one more time quickly. Mmmmm.

If I don't have bananas in the house, I use a teaspoon of banana extract.
  • KaraGrr
    KaraGrr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I make the same thing every morning after lifting, its simple & delicious!

-Cup of almond milk
    -Half banana
    -Handful of spinach or kale
    -1 tsp of psyliium husk/chia seeds or flax (you can omit this if you don't have it)
    -Handful of ice
    -1 scoop whey (I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard)