Back on the wagon today! No waiting for the New Year!

Options
Right, after what has basically been a month of being useless at diet and exercise I've given myself a strict talking to and have decided that today is the day to get a grip again.
I've been food shopping for plenty of fruit and vegetables, put what is left of the Xmas goodies in a carrier bag, taped it closed and put it in the attic out of sight and have just got back from a 5k run.
I really don't want all my hard work undone by a silly few weeks that included Xmas, my birthday, the dog being really ill and general naughtiness.

So its back to 1200 cals a day, dog walking for an hour a day (he's better now) and some form of exercise each day (swimming, running, Shred) from now until I go back to work on Jan 7th.
Then I'll be more realistic about exercise and go back to 3 or 4 times a week in addition to the dog walking.

Anyone else not waiting for the New Year?

Replies

• closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love this. We all tend to make excuses for ourselves and it great you chose to start now! I had a bad day on my bday on the 15th, a bad day on xmas and plan for a bad day on newyears. While i get discouraged i realize that three bad days may result in a positive 2000 calories but 28 good days results in a loss of 14000 to 20000 calories.

My favorite quote is "If its important you will find a way, if it isn't, you will find an excuse"

Good luck on reaching your goals and remeber, its not the bad days that matter but the poor excuses we use.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you chose today to start and not "next _______"!

I wish you much luck with your weight loss and cleaning up your diet and especially getting back to the exercise consistently. That is the hardest part for me.
  • tpow1196
    tpow1196 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I somehow managed to not let myself off the wagon. I thought about it, and really wanted to. I had a couple of meals where I was like, I'm not keeping track of this, but I still went to the gym!

So I'm not waiting for New Years, as tempting as it would because this is HARD work and I am getting a little tired of it.
  • arfog
    arfog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm starting again today too! I'd stopped tracking my calories for a few months, and now it's time to own up and get back to business. :smile:
  • welshwoofer
    welshwoofer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Good to see I'm not alone! The more the merrier (without the beers - lol!)
    I feel much calmer strangely, knowing that I'm back in control.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think this is great! I see so many people saying "I'm going to start on this day"....no, start today! I think people wait until a day they feel like they can do good for the entire day. Even if they screw up for dinner later, lunch tomorrow, breakfast two days from now....they're still getting started, and they might have a really healthy lunch today, dinner tomorrow and the next day....and that will make a difference.

Good for you!! You can do it!
  • cheree1969
    cheree1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Same here. Back on the wagon for me starting today!
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,264 Member
    Options
    I had this conversation yesterday with a couple of MFP friends. We decided to start yesterday...no more excuses and no waiting for Jan. 1. And you know I feel much better today after eating well, working out again and drinking tons of water. I logged yesterday for the first time since Dec. 13th. No more excuses!!!
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am not waiting either. I have started again, and will keep on going. It feels so much better, cause that full feeling after eating thru the holidays made me sick. Good Luck to everyone.......xxxxx
  • NVMoon
    Options
    Yep, I climbed my Fluffy self back up on the wagon last week. I had the little speech with myself as well and told myself that there is no need to wait until the first of the year - January 1st isn't a magical/mystical date that is going to make a difference other than the ability to make more excuses to eat and drink more.

I got a FitBit for Christmas and have become a bit obsessed with seeing how much I can walk. I have started taking the stairs in the parking garage just so I can have something on the stairs screen. Starting with baby steps in the exercise department so I don't hurt myself right out the gate. :happy:
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Yep Me.... got right back at it yesterday... keep it up :)
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Awesome! So glad you are not waiting. I got sick just before Christmas and stopped exercising, then there was Christmas week. Now there is a house full of goodies (rapidly disappearing due to stealthy trashing activities on my part - family just thinks the treats are all being eaten LOL). And when I was overeating I really did make myself sick to my stomach.

Back on the wagon feels really good. We can do this!
  • freedomischaos
    freedomischaos Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My favorite quote is "If its important you will find a way, if it isn't, you will find an excuse"

I really like that quote. ninja'd.
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I got back on track "yesterday" as well. Got tired of waiting for the "1st". YAY us!
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! After being down with the flu for a week, working super long hours for a week, and then the Christmas crazies, it's time to kick myself in the butt and get moving. Headed out in a bit...going to let my daughter ride her new bike and I am going to walk/jog. I'll never hit my June 1st goal if I don't get going TODAY!
  • emilyehlers
    emilyehlers Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm inspired! Back on the chain gang today!

Gotta say, being home all day (as opposed to spending 8-9 hours at work M-F) is really tough for me! Food everywhere, demanding to be eaten! :)
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I've been soo bad with the Christmas goodies around too. I'm getting some good stuff to eat this weekend and will be back at the gym. The cold weather (teens) has stopped my running in the AM, I'm hoping the temps come up so I can start that again otherwise I'll be getting to the gym...
  • magicherry
    magicherry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    No waiting - started tracking again yesterday.

*honest tracking included a slice of apple pie with Cool Whip and a handful of M&Ms
    **damn the Christmas leftovers!!!!!!
  • Afaida
    Afaida Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I could not believe how out of controll I got over the holidays. My compulsive eating was scaring me so bad. Visualized gaining all my bad habits and weight back in short order. So yesterday my focus was staying out of the cookies and chocolates. Felt hungry ALL day. It was not a perfect day but I went to bed with renewed faith that I am capable of making good choices. I can do this! I will do this. I am in charge!
    May we all have a healthy and happy new year starting NOW!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Me :)

I am getting back on track today... I feel better already after a healthy breakfast, some tea, and lots of water.

Good luck!