After seeing friends and family over the holidays...

Options
Alright, here is a serious question for my fellow MFPers... After seeing some distant family for the holidays that I have not seen in some time I got asked NUMEROUS times if I was ill, if I was in good health... was told that I need to gain some weight, blah blah blah.

Is it just me, or should some people mind their own business? haha I am happy with me, finally comfortable in my own skin, so confident for the first time ever. Shouldn't people just let us be happy and enjoy after we worked this hard for this?! Just a random, curious thought...

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Get used to it, because people will say that. They will say you need to stop losing weight, that you look sickly, etc. Some people need to mind their own business, it's your body, as long as you're healthy and doing it the healthy way they shouldn't bother you. Maybe they sensed your confidence and are jealous? Who knows!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    well, you lost 82 pounds. congrats.

take it as a compliment i guess. you lost so much weight and you look good that people think you must have starved yourself and been unhealthy.

don't let it get to you.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    People don't seem to understand what healthy truly looks like anymore. If you don't have all of that fat anymore, you are sick. It's sad that this is the case, but it is. Thankfully I haven't had anyone ask me that yet, but I imagine the time will come if I continue to tone up and shrink much more.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Well after looking at your pictures, I'd say you look great-- not sickly or overly skinny at all. I guess I can only echo what other posters said: Get used to it. I get the same sometimes. In fact, when I was starting to lose weight, I had people tell me I didn't need to lose weight because I was already skinny and mind you, I was a size 14/16 when this was said to me. I think people just have a skewed view of bodies. Don't let it bother you-- as long as you feel healthy that's all that matters.
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    they just arent used to seeing you looking so amazing, i looked at your pics and although i dont know you i think you look great. again as others have said just get used to it and ignore it if you can. keep up the great work
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You look WONDERFUL!!! Not at all sickly or ill. What I found when I stepped back and looked at my family is that nearly everybody is overweight. The ones that aren't don't eat well. You learned your original food habits from somewhere, right? It was probably your family. They're looking at you through the lens of your old eating habits. However, you decided to break free from it and create a new perspective of what "healthy" means to you. "Healthy" means different things to you than it does to your family.

Just let it go. You look awesome!:flowerforyou:
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes, people will do that when you lose weight. I think some people just really hate when other people make big changes. I guarantee that once they process what you have done, it will motivate someone out there to make their own changes.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    People get uncomfortable with change.
    It reminds us that we are empowered to affect well our personal wellness.
    Most people prefer to live under the banner of handy excuses.

Just be kind, but IGNORE THEM!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I've been fat so long that I reckon most people probably think the only thing that could ever make me lose weight would be some long, awful illness like cancer. But I'm not sick, in the best health of my life, and happily losing weight. At 274 I'm stil big enough that no one fears I'm wasting away but I noticed that a lot of people seemed to notice but not really say anything and then just kinda best around the bush. I dont think people know what to say. And I wonder if it just looks so different they are having a hard time seeing the real you in all the changes. I knew a lady who lost a ton of weight a few years ago and I had wondered if she had been ill because it was so drastic, at least half her body weight. Her body looks great now and I know it's her but I still feel like I hardly recognize her because her face is so different too. It's weird to not recognize someone.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I look forward to being able to relate to this problem : ). Enjoy your newfound normal!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Eh, people will try to police other people's bodies, no matter what they look like. Just smile and nod and then go on with exactly what you are doing for YOU. <3
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    People should definitely mind their own business... it's like, they judge you when you are fat and its unhealthy and you should lose weight.. then you lose the weight and they judge you because you're skinny and that you need to gain some weight.. YOU CANT WIN!!! I've learned over the years to completely ignore all opinions other than my own. I've gotten really good at it :)
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    People are stupid.

I always get asked if I'm using steroids or similar BS.
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    People are stupid.

I always get asked if I'm using steroids or similar BS.

so, are you?

Just kidding :)