What to do about Extra skin!!!!

Options
Has anyone else had this problem? I have lost 127lbs and now have the unsightly extra skin. Please dont tell me to exercise or lift weights, I already do this and have been doing it the entire time. It is not working. Is this something that will go away I am only 26 and I would hate to have to get surgery to get it removed. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Granny2b
    Granny2b Posts: 91
    Options
    I dont know anything else you can do apart from surgery or a bodysuit:ohwell: I have to lose 98 pounds and i never even thought that i may end up with loose saggy skin!!!! But id rather put up with that than being fat and unhealthy:laugh:
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    A friend of mine had gastric surgery and lost 150 lbs. She worked out and did everything she was supposed to and still has the extra skin. She recently had her stomach and boobs done. Those were the easy surgeries. Her legs have a lot of extra skin but she refused to have the surgery to remove it. It involved slicing up the entire leg length and removing skin.

I myself have the stomach skin left over and am embarrased to show my stomach.

Best of luck to you. This weight loss stuff is really hard.
  • brunion
    brunion Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    congratulations on 127 lbs lost that is amazing.
    but i don't think the skin will shrink sorry. but im not a doctor either :)
  • svetlanav
    svetlanav Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are young, and your skin still has a lot of elasticity. Some of the extra skin will shrink in a year or two. What is left after that, you get to keep or have a surgery if so inclined.
  • hollymires
    hollymires Posts: 117
    Options
    I have lost a ton too...and have saggy skin. I had a breast reduction at the beginning of November and am having a tummy tuck in July. I would have to have surgery on my whole body to get rid of all of it...hahaha...I will just be happy with these 2 surgeries...they were the areas that bothered me the most anyways!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I agree with one of the previous posters - give it a year or two. I know, it's super frustrating. Drink alot of water to keep hydrated and maybe continue using some moisturizers to help retain the elasticity (if you can - I can't - super sensitive). It's time, genetics and luck for something like this. I've had 2 c-sections and I have saggy skin from it (called ceserean hang) - it's super gross. BUT... I've noticed that when I *am* in shape, the amount of skin decreases - and I'm quite a bit older than you with alot less elasticity. it doesn't ever go away and never will without surgery, but it does improve. I hope that helps.:smile:
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I guess we have to Deal with it. I have the same issue after losing 80+ lbs. as well. I have been criticized MORE now about my body than when I used to weigh 230 lbs. !! I had a guy refuse to date me due to it and others make comments. I did what I did for health and NO ONE is going to tell me that I look a certain way with or without the excess skin. I think re need to tell society to F off!!! We live in an airbrushed world and it's sad. I'm getting to the point that I'm going to wear a bikini...show my battle scars and let people stare! I hope the best for you and don't let anyone tell you that you need surgery. Why do all that hard work just to go under the knife? It is your decision of course, but I'll tell you, we need to get people to realize that looks are not important and health is!!!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies. I really dont want to have to get surgery so I will give it a year or so.
  • rikasmom
    rikasmom Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Jamie31:

First, I'd like to congratulate you on your weight loss. I need to lose 100+ poundsa nd your success has given me the boost that I need.

Second, there is a website that you can go to that gives you info on how to tighten the loose skin. Go to www.ttapp.com and search for the CRT system.

I haven't tried it myself, but the system seems to work for those that do.

Have a great day!
  • jamie31
    Options
    Hi Jamie31:

First, I'd like to congratulate you on your weight loss. I need to lose 100+ poundsa nd your success has given me the boost that I need.

Second, there is a website that you can go to that gives you info on how to tighten the loose skin. Go to www.ttapp.com and search for the CRT system.

I haven't tried it myself, but the system seems to work for those that do.

Thanks I will check that out!
    Have a great day!
  • Ladidi44
    Ladidi44 Posts: 1
    Options
    Great response!! I totally agree. Love and accept yourself and other people will too. If they don't, tell them to move on. You probably added years to your life by losing the weight, why risk your life for outside appearances.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips that might help with loose skin.

Step 1

Think of how long it took your body to reach your highest weight. It didn't happen overnight, so you can't really expect your skin to become taut in such a short space of time.

Many surgeons recommend waiting two years from the day you reach your weight loss target before even considering surgery. This allows you to exhaust all options available naturally before entering into a costly and potential dangerous operation.

Step 2

Nourish your skin and encourage it's elasticity. Exfoliate your skin daily to encourage removal of dead skin cells. Doing this each day will stimulate your skin's circulation which should help in tightening skin up.

Step 3

Treat yourself to a hot hour-long bath once or twice a week. While the bath is being drawn, add 1/2lb of pure sea salt to the water and allow it to dissolve. Besides relaxing your body and muscles, it will draw toxins out of your skin and will improve your overall skin tone.

Step 4

Determine what your body fat percentage is. It's impossible to differentiate loose skin from body fat without this figure. Many gyms are able to assess your body for this.

Step 5

While you may have reached your goal weight, it's possible that your body fat percentage is still high. In order to reduce this, you should strive to change your body's composition by reducing fat and replacing it with muscle. If you haven't done so already, speak to a gym or a personal trainer to work on an exercise plan which will help you achieve this.

Step 6Aloe vera extract, soy protein and yeast extract can improve your skin's elasticity by increasing your body's production of elastin and collagen. It not only tightens your skin but your skin's natural defenses as well.

Step 7

Coconuts can help tighten your skin up!Eating raw food such as cucumber, tomato, olives and coconut can mark an improvement in your skin's elasticity.

Step 8

Hyaluronic Acid is naturally found in our body's tissues. It depletes over time, so it's worth supplementing your diet with some. It is critical for muscle growth, so if you're replacing pounds of fat with muscle, it's definitely worth taking. Smokers tend to be lacking this nutrient. It needs magnesium to synthesize, so ensure you're taking magnesium daily to reap its benefits.
  • jamie31
    Options
    Here are some tips that might help with loose skin.

Step 1

Think of how long it took your body to reach your highest weight. It didn't happen overnight, so you can't really expect your skin to become taut in such a short space of time.

Many surgeons recommend waiting two years from the day you reach your weight loss target before even considering surgery. This allows you to exhaust all options available naturally before entering into a costly and potential dangerous operation.

Step 2

Nourish your skin and encourage it's elasticity. Exfoliate your skin daily to encourage removal of dead skin cells. Doing this each day will stimulate your skin's circulation which should help in tightening skin up.

Step 3

Treat yourself to a hot hour-long bath once or twice a week. While the bath is being drawn, add 1/2lb of pure sea salt to the water and allow it to dissolve. Besides relaxing your body and muscles, it will draw toxins out of your skin and will improve your overall skin tone.

Step 4

Determine what your body fat percentage is. It's impossible to differentiate loose skin from body fat without this figure. Many gyms are able to assess your body for this.

Step 5

While you may have reached your goal weight, it's possible that your body fat percentage is still high. In order to reduce this, you should strive to change your body's composition by reducing fat and replacing it with muscle. If you haven't done so already, speak to a gym or a personal trainer to work on an exercise plan which will help you achieve this.

Step 6Aloe vera extract, soy protein and yeast extract can improve your skin's elasticity by increasing your body's production of elastin and collagen. It not only tightens your skin but your skin's natural defenses as well.

Step 7

Coconuts can help tighten your skin up!Eating raw food such as cucumber, tomato, olives and coconut can mark an improvement in your skin's elasticity.

Step 8

Hyaluronic Acid is naturally found in our body's tissues. It depletes over time, so it's worth supplementing your diet with some. It is critical for muscle growth, so if you're replacing pounds of fat with muscle, it's definitely worth taking. Smokers tend to be lacking this nutrient. It needs magnesium to synthesize, so ensure you're taking magnesium daily to reap its benefits.

Thanks so much! these are great ideas!