not using all your calories

Okay I’ve seen a few posts about not using all your calories! Some days I don’t use all my calories, some I do but the days that I’m very active I don’t because I burn a lot and don’t take time to eat. I don’t have time for very many actual work outs or walking because what time I am home I have to spend cleaning up after 2 small children and a husband that don’t help out much because he works long hours and doesn’t sleep well at night so he is lazy when he is not at work, the rest of the time I am taking kids to Gymnastics, or Girl scouts, or Awana, or some other event. So I count cleaning as most of my “workout” (was surprised to see how many calories it says you burn cleaning).:huh: But the point to this is… what if I only use 1300 of my 1550 calories ????? or by the time I clean for 1 ½ hours I only use 1300 of the 1972 it says I have??? It seem to be working I lost 13 lb then gained 2 then lost 4 then gain 3 so now I’m at 12 lb lost. But was wondering if I it would be better or worse if I were using all the calories….. I’m kinda confused. :embarassed:

Replies

• babiecuddles
    babiecuddles Posts: 47 Member
    Okay I’ve seen a few posts about not using all your calories! Some days I don’t use all my calories, some I do but the days that I’m very active I don’t because I burn a lot and don’t take time to eat. I don’t have time for very many actual work outs or walking because what time I am home I have to spend cleaning up after 2 small children and a husband that don’t help out much because he works long hours and doesn’t sleep well at night so he is lazy when he is not at work, the rest of the time I am taking kids to Gymnastics, or Girl scouts, or Awana, or some other event. So I count cleaning as most of my “workout” (was surprised to see how many calories it says you burn cleaning).:huh: But the point to this is… what if I only use 1300 of my 1550 calories ????? or by the time I clean for 1 ½ hours I only use 1300 of the 1972 it says I have??? It seem to be working I lost 13 lb then gained 2 then lost 4 then gain 3 so now I’m at 12 lb lost. But was wondering if I it would be better or worse if I were using all the calories….. I’m kinda confused. :embarassed:
  • I think as long as you're eating something healthy with your calories and you don't feel hungry, go ahead and leave some on the table. Don't go out of your way to try and hit your total calorie count if you're not hungry or don't have the time to.
  • amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    Hi
    From what i can tell from different posts and talking to various people is, as long as you eat more than 1200 calories a day you should be fine, and like you say, its working!!
    I think people say your body can go into 'starvation mode' if you don't eat enough calories but i think this is if you eat like less than 1200 a day.

Hope this helps!

:happy:
  • i heard about the 1200 rule as well.. u should try to eat as close to your calories as it says.. to keep your metabolism up and keep u energized.. but dont stress if u dont hit it..
    i would however suggest taht on the days you have 1900 calories to eat.. try to eat at least 1500... i usually shoot to be within 200-400 calories of my goal...without going under 1200..

so cleaning is a good calorie burner?
  • babiecuddles
    Thanks for the input, this makes a little more sense now. I’ll go with the 200 to 400 thing, that should keep me pretty much were I’m headed now. I did not do very well over the last week that’s were the 4 lbs came back but I’m thinken that’s not bad for a week of not counting and 4 days at moms house for thanksgiving … :wink: but im back at to starting today....:happy:
    As for the cleaning it says Cleaning, light, moderate effort for 1 hour burns 281 calories, and cleaning, heavy, vigorous effort for 1 hour burns 337 calories. I usually enter the Cleaning, light, moderate effort.
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    I am kinda confused right now...should we eat even if we are not hungry?
  • babiecuddles
    Now see: my confusion has got someone else confused!!! That’s what I was trying to figure out and I’m thinking the answer is NO. but eat enough calories so your body doesn’t go into starvation mode and start storing calories.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    That is a good question... Well that all depends.
    If you are WAY under your calories for the day, then your body might think that it is starving and stop burning calories. :noway:
    But 200 to 300 under, is not too bad. Edging on stavation, but not to bad if all you are eating is veggies then you will not be hungrey and be way under the 1200. I mean 1200 is a lot of apples. :wink:
    1200 a day, is because that is also ABOUT how many cals you burn just being alive. So if you sat all day long and did not move then you do not want to go over the 1200 calories or you are going to gain weight. Depending on your current size height and weight and goals and family history. Etc etc...
    There is a lot more to it, and the science is different depending on who you talk to.
    I hope this helps with your question...
    --Diann...
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Mind you 1200 is MY cals for this site. And like YOU I do not eat 1200 cals on some days.
    and some days I go over a little.
    --Diann...