Can you see results in 6 months from lifting?

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Depends on goals.

Calorie reduction to see a loss of body fat, and more definition. "Toning.".. just kidding. "Cutting"
    Calorie increase to build muscle mass (And fat.) "Bulking."

Oh okay. So what i'm doing is good for me, then. I'm trying to lose body fat.

Yep, keep on trucking!

You might reach a point where strength gains stop. There's only so much you can get from adaptation before muscle cross section needs to increase (calorie deficit.)

Don't make the mistake I did, and eat to get past stops in your gains, then diet again. Just leads to wheel spinning. =)
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options

Yep, keep on trucking!

You might reach a point where strength gains stop. There's only so much you can get from adaptation before muscle cross section needs to increase (calorie deficit.)

Don't make the mistake I did, and eat to get past stops in your gains, then diet again. Just leads to wheel spinning. =)
    Wait, so when I hit that stopping point, I increase my cal deficit to break past it or I keep it? o:
    Thanks for being so helpful, btw
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Yep, keep on trucking!

Wait, so when I hit that stopping point, I increase my cal deficit to break past it or I keep it? o:
    Thanks for being so helpful, btw

Well, this is the scenario:
    Let's use the Bench as an example.

Let's say you bench 50lbs.
    And you increase to 55lbs
    60lbs!! All the way up to 95lbs.

But you can't get past 95lbs.
    You try microloading (96lbs)
    You try deloading (Going down to 70lbs and working back up) but can't get past it.

This is because you aren't eating enough. At some point your body says "HEY LADY, shove more food in me, or I'm not going to get any stronger."

At that point you decide if you're happy to maintain and keep working on 95lbs and get to your final weight goal, or if you want to start eating extra food to get that barbell weight up.

Maybe a smaller deficit would help. Weight loss will slow, but not stop. You should get a little stronger though.

But if you eat in a surplus, you'll get stronger and heavier. Strength athletes and bodybuilders do this. (Google: bulk/cut cycle)
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    If your lifting three times a week with heavy weight and a calorie deficit or surplus you should see some very good results.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    When you all say "good diet" what do you mean? I have a 1400 calorie deficit. I try to stay within that. And I try to limit fast food and stuff, though I do eat a few processed things like oreos now and then. Is it okay to slip up a little once and a while? and when eating well, is that for being within the deficit or what I consume, as well?

set mfp on losing 1 lbs per week, not more, can be less if you prefer
    eat at least 1g of protein per lbs of body weight
    make sure you eat some good fats (fe nuts, salmon, olive oil are sources of good fats)
    eat enough carbs to fuel your workouts
    getting in veggies and fruits and some source of calcium (diary) is also good idea

ETA: make sure you eat enough: try to hit your goal every day (the idea is to be +/-100 kcal from your goal not under as much as you can, especially if you want to maintain muscle mass and gain strength)
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Your best tool is going to be your diet. My husband started doing Crossfit over 6 months ago but it wasn't until he started eating clean that he really saw results. He's lost 40lbs so far and the difference in his physique is incredible.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You should see some significant changes in four weeks, if you're consistent.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I saw results in a week from starting lifting.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you're being consistent you will see results well before the 6 month mark. Diet is key as well though. You can't out-exercise a bad diet.
  • edvital
    edvital Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely....if you do it right

I worked out on my own and made noticable progress in about 2-3 months, but not dramatic.

Then I got a personal trainer, realised my technique was terrible. 6 weeks with him and I achieved more than I had in the previous year.

My advice: Unless you have already been trained to work out, get a personal trainer or a knowledgable friend. PTs are expensive, but working out without the right advice is a waste of time and money.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Only if you're doing it right.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    I've been weight lifting for about 3 months and can definitely notice a change in my body. I went from about 140 lbs to 125 lbs, though I think the diet change is what had the biggest impact on my weight loss.

I have a personal trainer and I do my lifting with him 3 times a week, and then do cardio and abs myself in between whenever I can.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump for help.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    As some have mentioned, that's VERY reasonable so long as you're working hard and smart.
    I've seen guys totally transform their whole physique in half that time.
    That's not me....:bigsmile:
    I came by these results SLOWLY!
    I am fine with that...

GOOD LUCK!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

Pics or it didnt....ah too distracted because squishy.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options

Pics or it didnt....ah too distracted because squishy.

squishy???? moi? not!
  • Dammitviv
    Options
    Lifting and eating properly will yeild positive results, to maximize the benefit, make sure you are including cardio on the days that you do not lift. It can also be beneficial to follow strenght training with light cardio if you're up for it.
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has already said, you absolutely can see results in six months. Good luck and enjoy Italy! I went last summer (seven months ago) and it was AMAZING! :))
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    When you all say "good diet" what do you mean? I have a 1400 calorie deficit. I try to stay within that. And I try to limit fast food and stuff, though I do eat a few processed things like oreos now and then. Is it okay to slip up a little once and a while? and when eating well, is that for being within the deficit or what I consume, as well?

I assume you don't mean a 1400 cal deficit, which would be 1400 cal less than your TDEE? I assume you mean you eat 1400 cal a day, plus some/all exercise calories? If so, that may well work just fine. If you're always hungry after you workout and the day after and are hitting your 1400 net both days, you probably need to increase it, or eat at maintenance on workout days.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I started a lifting/diet program and saw results in just 6 weeks! Then the holidays hit and I've been less than religious about it.

I agree with what everyone here has said (for the most part).

#1 change that yielded the biggest results for me? EATING CLEAN, eating often, eating enough.

I eat about 1700 calories daily. I have the majority of my carbs in the breakfast, a bit less at lunch, much fewer at dinner. I also eat snacks between meals. I make sure to hit my macros (which are set at 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat). I dropped about 10 pounds in the first 6 weeks, and dropped many inches!

On my program I lift 4 days/week and do cardio 3 days/week - I take 1 day off of exercise and following the diet (although I do still make healthy choices).

In 6 months if you follow an intelligent program you can see AMAZING results! Be patient with yourself, though. You won't change overnight.

Best of luck to you! :)