Healthy alternative to ice cream!

Options
kerrilucko
kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
I found this amazing recipe in a pregnancy diet book I've been reading. I tried it out and WOW it's delish!!

It's a frozen dessert but don't be fooled, it DOESN"T taste like ice cream. It's got more of a sorbet texture but it's ingredients are stellar and I'm pretty sure I'm in love.

Blueberry Ice

Yield: 2 generous servings

2 cups frozen blueberries
1 cup skim milk
2 tbls sugar (you could sub in another sweetener if you prefer)

Blend in blender.

You can serve immediately, or store in the freezer. I prefer mine a bit firmer so I like to freeze it before serving.

Nutrition: 172 cals, 4% fat, 85% carbs, 11% protein, 159 mg calcium, 16mcg folic acid (for those of us that are counting :) ), 3.3g fiber

Replies

• ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing-- I love that there are so few ingredients so I actually have them all!! :happy:
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    What about soy ice cream? I've tried vanilla flavored and it tastes pretty good. Sweeter than regular ice cream, but 1/4 of the fat or none at all. I believe it was called Soy Delicious or something like that...
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    What about soy ice cream? I've tried vanilla flavored and it tastes pretty good. Sweeter than regular ice cream, but 1/4 of the fat or none at all. I believe it was called Soy Delicious or something like that...

Also, it doesn't have the same texture of regular ice cream, too. Once it's defrosted a bit, the shape gets weird...
  • acromer19
    Options
    I have been having the Yoplait Smootie's in the Frozen Foods Isle, its frozen strawberries & banana's add skim milk and blend. Makes 2 large 16 oz smooties.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! If you don't mind me asking, what is the title on the pregnancy diet book that you have? I'm very interested for future readings... :)
  • all4tjs
    all4tjs Posts: 51
    Options
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Sounds great! If you don't mind me asking, what is the title on the pregnancy diet book that you have? I'm very interested for future readings... :)

I got it at the library, but it is for sure the best one I have read (i've read maybe 4 or 5 so far) it's called "Nutrition for a healthy Pregnancy" second edition, written by Elizabeth Somer

It's good though, it has recipes and meals plans, and also various sections that deal with different stages (before conception, during each trimester, during breastfeeding) and it includes lots of things to avoid. Most of it is common sense- like choose fruit over candy- but iit's still pretty good. lol
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    Might I suggest frozen mangos. They remain soft even when frozen and are delicious!

Or mixing mangos with yogurt (low fat and/or with splenda/stevia/etc) and freezing it.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump! Sounds delicious!
  • denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    Ok, after reading this, I am soooo craving it, but I'm at work right now and obviously can't do anything about it!! LOL I like the sound of the mangos too.. mmmm :tongue:
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I make trhis for my kids all the time. I put in agave and use soy yogurt instead of milk. It's a little richer. thanks, kc
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Blend any frozen fruit with plain yogurt and sugar (or honey or stevia or any artificial sweetener) & you have a yummy soft serve ice-creamy textured smoothie thing. :wink:

Also, you know what's a GREAT sub for ice cream? FROZEN YOGURT. :laugh: And it's delicious and can be chocolatey, too. :tongue:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Yum! I love stuff like this. Did you include it in the food diary under something special or just log each item individually.

BTW...are you expecting or simply preparing to be?

D
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Yum! I love stuff like this. Did you include it in the food diary under something special or just log each item individually.

BTW...are you expecting or simply preparing to be?

D

Just preparing. We plan to begin TTC in June :)

I logged ingredients separately

It's so yummy! I just had some more! Tomorrow I think I will try it out with raspberries
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm bump for later!
  • Dumspiro
    Dumspiro Posts: 28
    Options
    bump mmm :D
  • l3uttel2flie
    Options
    http://www.myarcticzero.com/ Check out this product I found this week at the grocery store; it's called Arctic Zero.

I tried the vanilla infused with maple syrup (half a cup for only 34 calories) It was FANTASTIC! The consistency is creamier than regular ice cream not to mention: 34 calories 10 carbs 0 fat 5 protein 9 sugar 14 sodium

Arctic Zero™ is:
    • All Natural
    • Low Carb
    • Fat Free
    • Gluten Free
    • Kosher
    • Lactose Intolerant-Friendly
  • Heather1776
    Heather1776 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea! Today I blended up a Yoplait blueberry greek yogurt and 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries for lunch. Delicious! It's not ice cream, but I guess you could probably freeze it. The consistancy was like a smoothie.
  • Simone32
    Simone32 Posts: 14
    Options
    I buy Aldi's Fit and Active Cool Whip and put it into the freezer. I usually just grab a tablespoon here and there when I want something rich and creamy. You can have 2 Tbs. for only 20 calories
  • kellilucky13
    Options
    This recipe is a must try!!! Sounds really good!