Question for Fitbit users

Options
I recently got a Fitbit & synced it to MFP...Now it wants to give me extra exercise calories of calories I've burned throughout the day-- kind of cheating myself. Do I need to list myself as more active throughout the day than I originally put down so it's not adjusting me as having exercised? Of course I try to stick to my 1330 cals I'm supposed to eat each day, it I workout super hard I may go over that 1330--but with this extra it's saying I've burned I'm confused & don't want to cheat!

Replies

• IbeEmB913
    IbeEmB913 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your FitBit factors in all the calories, in a day, you would burn even if you just sat there breathing or sleeping all day long. It might benefit you to change your type of lifestyle because if you are doing a lot of activities, it will allow you more calories (which makes sense because you should be consuming more if you are burning more, etc.) but depending on your weight loss goals, you can choose to do that yourself.
    for me, personally, I set my fitbit as a "mildly active" (not sedentary, but the next one up whatever that one is called) even though I believe that on a normal day for me, my lifestyle actually IS more active that that. I am trying to lose weight though, so for me, I dont want to eat a lot of extra calories.
    not a lot of information, but maybe it will help a little!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You can also opt-out of the extra calories and change your setting. Look up the MFP app information and FAQs... it helps explain it. There is also a fitbit forum on MFP with lots of great tips.

I have opted to not use the extra calendars from the fitbit unless I REALLY kick up my exercise.

Best of luck!
  • kimberlyrachelle
    Options
    I too had mine set to mildly active, I had it bumped up a long time ago I felt it was giving me too many calories, but apparently I'm actually more active than I thought. Maybe if I bumped it back up it would be more accurate, but I've just been happy with my calorie allowance & losing a pound every week or two...I'd hate to opt out bc that's the whole reason I got the Fitbit was to get accuracy when I workout do the whole sleep tracking thing...I'll just have to remember not to eat these extra calories lol. I've loved MFP so much I'd hate to switch to Fitbit,com but maybe it's easier to get the right readings.
  • kazdav
    kazdav Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I haven't got mine yet, should have it next week. I would say that I would need to set mine to zero activity as I am a couch potato. Would that be the correct setting for someone like me, I don't want it to give me more calories than I should have or show me burning more than I have.

I am 5'8" and weigh approx 204lbs and MFP gives me 1500 calories to work with
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    You don't need to switch to Fitbit, MFP will sync. The others are right, check out your settings, as well as this community for Fitbit users http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • leblanc_kelly88
    leblanc_kelly88 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Your FitBit factors in all the calories, in a day, you would burn even if you just sat there breathing or sleeping all day long. It might benefit you to change your type of lifestyle because if you are doing a lot of activities, it will allow you more calories (which makes sense because you should be consuming more if you are burning more, etc.) but depending on your weight loss goals, you can choose to do that yourself.
    for me, personally, I set my fitbit as a "mildly active" (not sedentary, but the next one up whatever that one is called) even though I believe that on a normal day for me, my lifestyle actually IS more active that that. I am trying to lose weight though, so for me, I dont want to eat a lot of extra calories.
    not a lot of information, but maybe it will help a little!
    Question since you seem to know a lot about it! Im getting one soon as well and plan to work out hard in the comin month and track it all! BUT! in about a month I have to go in for surgery. Now since I plan to wear it for just sitting around and walking around the apartment (thats the only exercise i'm allowed to do for a month :sad: ) should I change my activity settings in MFP or the fitbit settings?? I'm going to change things in here once I get it, to say how much i work out (right now it says never because i just starting to get into exercise) but i'm goign to up it to 3x a week. I assume I SHOULD drop it back down when I'm not doing anything to properly account calories right??
    It sounds stupid when i type it out so i hope someone understand what i mean :tongue:
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I set MFP and Fitbit to sedentary. Once I walk more than 5,000 steps on any day MFP starts to add more calories.I eat them if I'm hungry,I don't if I'm not.I only do walking right now,but once I Start other workouts I'll add those to MFP and Eat the calories if I'm hungry ONLY,not just because they are there....

We MUST listen to our bodies.

When you sign up for Fitbit and link it to MFP-BOTH of the sites tell you to Track calories and exercise(other than the walking) here on MFP...That's how they are set up to work together.

I ONLY log food here and it automatically goes there,but I ignore The fitbit site except to see my steps because they use a different program for calories and trying to follow 2 sites is confusing.

If you set MFP to Mildly active then they are giving you enough calories for a mildly active person of your height,weight,and age.Any activity that you do ABOVE mildly active levels..Will give you More calories..so they are there to eat if you want..not mandatory..just make sure that your setting are the same in both places.

I have mine set to Sedentary because most days I am..Or I'm not always as active as I think so IMO,Its better to "see" once they give me the extra calories if I was actually as active as I thought that day...
  • kazdav
    kazdav Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a question re syncing, do you have to leave the Bluetooth switched on on your phone permanently of you want it to sync. I usually have it turned off to save battery power.