Morning workout motivation

Options
I have always been the type that hates to get up in the morning. Now, I'm a mom of two kids with a full time job and a long commute. I decided to do my workouts in the mornings, because by the time I get home, dinner made, kids to bed, etc. it's just too late and I'm too tired. However, lately I find myself pushing the snooze button or turning the alarm off and skipping the workout in favor of sleeping later. How do you make yourself get up in the morning? I need some tips and some motivation to get my butt out of bed and get my workouts in.

Replies

• JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    I also work out in the morning because it's the only time I can get it in... that I'll actually do it! I don't have many good tips to get yourself out of bed, but I'll tell you what's worked for me - I lay out all my work out clothes the night before (it eliminates the "getting ready" factor), I have my coffee on auto brew so I can smell it from bed, and I JUMP out of bed the second my alarm goes off (if I sit to think about it for more than a couple seconds it won't happen). Also, I usually drink a cup of coffee before my work out. Might just be in my head, but it makes me feel more awake! Hope that helps :flowerforyou:
  • shannonstarr
    shannonstarr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a group I meet 6 days a week at the gym to do P90x and now Insanity! Accountability is everything for me! If you know they are going to be there and you don't show! it gets you out of bed!!! Get a workout partner!!
  • sheenmarie3
    sheenmarie3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I need motivation too. I'm not a morning person but it would free up a lot of my after work time. I've thought about setting the alarm for 10 minutes earlier and getting up, then 20 mins and so on so my body can get use to getting up earlier...
  • eschreiber
    Options
    Morning is my time for working out too. You have a lot on your plate so starting your morning off right is crucial. I know for myself if I skip a workout I will beat myself up all day for it. We have enough stressors in the world for us to deal with, why add that as well?! You can do this! If you're getting up early 5 days a week maybe give yourself one morning a week to hit that snooze but I bet once you start getting up regularly you'll start feeling so good about yourself that you'll keep it up. I mean it, you can do this! :-)
  • moviestar
    Options
    I love mornings, I just hate getting up to workout. I feel better when I just do it, but it is a challenge. Use the time to exercise, meditate and think out your entire day. Just think, we'll be shedding the extra layers (Northeners anyway) and you want to be ready!!
  • ChavezCurse
    Options
    I feel the same way as you.. but I find the only way I can actually get up and go to the gym for a morning workout is when I have a workout buddy or an appointment with a PT. Is it possible for you to have a workout buddy for your morning workouts? Maybe friend someone at your gym and agree to meet at a certain time? Probably after doing it repeatedly you'll be used to it, and become like second nature where you can do it on your own??
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout are you planning on doing? I do the elliptical 2 days a week in the morning and just listen to my ipod. It's funny how different songs inspire me in the morning verses in the evening.
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    I"m in the same boat, and it's sinking.
    I used to get up EVERY morning and run before the kids got up.
    Now, for some reason, I'm soooo tired. It's been about two weeks since I got up to run and now it is so difficult to run at all. When I get on the treadmill mid morning or in the afternoon, it's like I'm carrying a 500lb weight and I dont' go nearly as far.
    My get up and go...went!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout are you planning on doing? I do the elliptical 2 days a week in the morning and just listen to my ipod. It's funny how different songs inspire me in the morning verses in the evening.
    Right now I'm working on the 30 Day Shred. I haven't worked out since Saturday, though. I need to get myself back in gear for sure!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    squoozyq - sounds like you are operating on a sleep deficit and need more sleep.

I used to get up at 5am and workout for an hour before getting ready for work. I would also lay out my clothes, shoes, etc the night before so it was just a matter of getting up immediately when the alarm went off. I say used to because now that I'm doing P90X with my husband, the only time we can both do it together is in the evenings when we get home from work. I used to hate working out in the afternoon because I could find so many reasons not to, but working out with my husband keeps me accountable and makes it easier. Granted, we don't have kids (yet) so that helps too.

Biggest thing to help you get motivated to work out in the mornings is to find a workout you like doing; because if you like the workout it will be MUCH easier to get up early to do it because you'll be looking forward to it as opposed to dreading it.
  • Murdog
    Murdog Posts: 70
    Options
    Y'know, when I was running in the morning, it was at 4:00 am. Now, I do run in the evenings, and it works better for me right now.
    However, when it gets hotter, I mey have to go back to the mornings.. and it's going to be tough!!

When I did back then, I would just tell myself ' just sit up w/your feet hanging off the bedside. Then I'd say 'now--stand up and walk to the bathroom where you laid your running clothes out last night.' Then I'd say ' now-just get dressed.' Then 'get out on the street.'
    Then, I'd say to myself 'Well... I'm already out here--may as well go ahead and run!'

And, I always knew I'd never regret a run. And, I haven't--ever.
  • Jaxmama
    Jaxmama Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question as I, too was wondering how to get my work outs in. I am a single mom and after getting home, playing with my son, getting dinner done, cleaned up and then my son cleaned up and in bed I am EXHAUSTED and the last thing I want to do is work out, even if it is only 20 min! I have my alarm set for 515 and every morning I dont get up until 545, some days cuz I snooze it and some days cuz I dont even hear it! I need to find the motivation to get up and do my work out in the morning! I will send good vibes your way!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings too. The thing that gets me to moving is knowing the sooner I start my workout, the sooner it will be over for the day. Just take it in daily increments and know that you'll have more energy and you'll be able to cross one more (very important) thing off your to-do list! I'm always busy in the evenings so it's usually not an option for me. But I've gotten to where I love working out in the mornings! Just walk yourself through it and get started. Once you've started, it's not so bad. And, if you look at it like all you have to do is get started, you've already won half the battle!!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I set my alarm clock at least 30 minutes before I want to get up. I'll snooze every 7 minutes for a while but before that 30 minutes is up, my body is ready.
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Mornings are hard no way around it, but you can do some planning before you go to bed to make it easier. I make sure my protein shake and breakfast are ready to throw in the cooler and my workout clothes are hanging on the closet door before I go to bed. Having old and current pictures of myself and encouraging notes from my husband and children taped all over a special poster board they made me is all the motivation I need. (It is framed and on the wall right next to my night stand) Seeing that board reminds me of why I keep pushing even when my body screams to hit the snooze button. Once my feet hit the floor, my mind says...GET UP AND GO GIRL! No thinking...just roll out of bed and off I go.
  • Karna6e
    Karna6e Posts: 57
    Options
    Can anyone talk about what they eat (if anything) right away. I have Clif bars on hand, that would seem to do the trick for me. Don't want to bonk, so if anyone has recommendations, would love to hear it.
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    Wow...do I know how you feel! I've tried getting the workouts in in the morning too. With very little success. I work and have a 14-year old and 11-year old, and my schedule is different every day. But every morning is the same, so schedule-wise it's the ideal time to get it in. I love the suggestion of talking to yourself..."Just hang your feet over the bed...now stand up...". I'm going to try it.

Another thing I've had trouble with, even when I was able to get up: Energy. I don't find I have a lot in the morning since it's been so long since I've eaten anything. Do you morning exercisers allow an extra half-hour or so to get some food in first? Any suggestions? Might have to try the coffee first.
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    Thanks to those who have given me advice, I do have a sleep deficit for sure. My hubby doesn't wake up when the baby does, I do, and I always have. So yes, I'm tired.
  • ShottaB
    ShottaB Posts: 29
    Options
    The motivation for me is the end results and wanting the change. After watching P90X youtube videos and researching I decided it was time for a change, and I've been getting up ever since. I used to try to get up in the morning before and it would last a little while and just fizzle, but I'm proud to say I'm on week 6 and counting of waking up in the morning.
    I also wouldn't be able to exercise in the afternoon, when i get home that's it for me no mas.
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    Thanks everyone for motivating me. I got up this morning and did the 30-day Shred workout! It feels so good that my workout is done for the day! If I get an opportunity this afternoon, I can get some more activity in as an added bonus. But if I don't, I did work out today. Yay!

Would still love to hear any suggestions on eating first. I had enough energy to get through the workout, but I felt a little sluggish. And I was a little nauseous afterward, but that went away after a few minutes.