FOOD ADDICTION

Options
I talked to a personal trainer yesterday and she thinks I have a food addiction. I've never had it put to me so strongly before. I never looked at it as an addiction. Maybe that is what I need to do in order to succeed. Any one else out there who is addicted like me?

Replies

• mary1127
    mary1127 Posts: 37
    Options
    I talked to a personal trainer yesterday and she thinks I have a food addiction. I've never had it put to me so strongly before. I never looked at it as an addiction. Maybe that is what I need to do in order to succeed. Any one else out there who is addicted like me?
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    My personal trainer told me the same thing. He (my personal trainer) dealt with a food addiction and bulemia and got professional help. He said he saw the same signs in me (minus the bulemia). Scarey huh? I had never looked at it that way either.

I'm not so sure I'm gonna go the professional help route. I'm gonna try to control it myself first. But I think about food all the time. Logging calories doesn't help LOL... but atleast I am thinking about healthy food and I'm losing weight. Which is my ultimate goal. Feel free to email me if you ever need someone who understands LOL. Good luck!
  • mary1127
    mary1127 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thank you so much for answering. I will keep in touch with you. For now I'm going to take it one day at a time.
  • laureneva
    laureneva Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    i commend both of you:flowerforyou:

but unfortunately i dont know anything about food addictions so i cant really comment

but i think probably seeing a nutritionist might help,
    from another thread someone was saying something about their trainer was telling them what to eat, but since they are specifically trained in it, its not technically right..... i wish i could remember that thread, sorry!:grumble:

just as you say, take it one step at a time

and if you dont mind me asking, what type of foods, if any, were/are you addicted to?
  • Pamy
    Pamy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Im addicted to food also. If its there iv got to have it.
    So what i try to do is just buy what food i need daily, then i know that there is nothing left to eat in the house after iv had breakfast, lunch , dinner and snacks. So then i cant eat anything else till the next day till i go shopping. I might not work for all people but it certainly works for me.

Good luck

Pamela

:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • shannonbanana
    shannonbanana Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There is actually a group called OA (overeaters annonymous, similar to AA) which is for people who have issues with food. I have been to meetings to support a friend (although it think it benifited me as well) and everyone there CONSTANTLY thinks about food, whether they are bulemic, anorexic, food addicts, compulsive overeaters... Every meeting starts by everyone saying their name and problem with food (very empowering). If you google it you will be suprised to find that there are meetings everywhere. I would guess you could find a weekly meeting very close to home. Check it out, worth trying. And GOOD LUCK :smile:
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    laureneva... I think I'm addicted to all food LOL. I especially like a few things and literally have no self control when it's in the cubboard... this includes ice cream, chocolate chip cookies or choc chip cookie dough, pizza hut stuffed crust pizza, chewy granola bars, or anything ooey and gooey and sweet.

But aside from the lack of will power, I just think about food all the time. I'm always hungry (I'm pretty sure this isn't medically related because I've had just about every blood test possible to confirm it). It's frustrating because alot of people think food addiction doesn't exist. I'm pretty sure it does LOL. My boyfriend is the worse, he's normally pretty supportive and open-minded... but when I compare my food addiction to his nicotine addiction, he gets mad and tells me I'm goofy.

I had a pretty rough childhood and food was my best friend for a long time, so I think it stems from that. I'm also from the South, where food is the center of everything you do and as a child I was required to clean my plate. Even if it meant sitting at the table for hours after every one had left. I try to cope now by being aware and knowing which foods I can't control myself around, and I don't buy them. If I'm in the grocery store and want to buy something I think looks good, I always think... okay can I let this sit on the counter and forget it's there, or will I eat the whole thing in a matter of a day? I could talk about food for hours LOL. Matter of fact, when I get into a conversation with friends about our favorite foods, and they ask what I like I always reply "I just like food" LOL. Sigh... maybe I'll check out those meetings LOL. Till then, I'll be logging and obsessing over healthy food.
  • MInnesotaNice
    Options
    I KNOW I'm addicted to food! I eat even when I'm stuffed, I just get cravings to taste, it is hard, But I try to keep busy and that helps me.......I don't watch t.v. anymore at all (some movies) and it really helps because sitting around makes me wanna eat personally.....I found only buying healthy food helps too, but sure to have low cal snacks around for salty cravings and fruit and fruit snacks for sweet ones...
    Uh, especially since quitting smoking! urrrr.....Good luck all! oh and sugar free sweet gum works well sometimes too!
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You are right that just logging in calories will not help you, if you don't feel satisfied with what you are eating.

You need to be eating things that will last longer in your stomach and things that are not full of refined carbohydrates.

Proteins last in your stomach longer than grains, and if combined with a good grain like barley; brown rice, quinoa; and a nice salad full of cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, lettuces, etc; you should feel better and more full. Make your own salad dressings out of light sour cream, a good vinegar, fresh garlic, pepper, etc.

Just some ideas.
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    my mom and her 5 brothers and sisters grew up in an alcoholic home, they say alcoholism is hereditary, none of them grew up to be alcoholics, but they have all suffered from severe weight problems with the exception of 1. I believe it really can be an addiction