hot yoga vs. gym with injury

Options
So, I practice yoga about 3 times a week by either bikram yoga, or by a hot yoga of so form. I absolutely love the feeling I have after yoga, and enjoy my practice.

I need to become stronger, specifically in my gluteus medius, thanks to injury and a now achey back. Also, I've been having issues with a "floating" (it keeps shifting out of place, and needs to be put back in place) S1 joint so, spinning, and high impact activities are problematic.

I've been a member of a local gym before, but hated it mostly because I enjoy taking classes, but they're SO incredibly crowded, and I often times had to wait for a piece of equipment that I wanted to use. Also, I love swimming, but again, the pool was often crowded.

I live in a large city, so, the over population of gyms is quite a common issue.

I guess my question is, IS yoga enough in your opinion? I do walk quite often with my puppies, and have exercise DVDs, but I'll be honest, the DVDs have quite a bit of dust on them as I lack motivation at home. Think I should continue my yoga practice and seek assistance from a personal trainer instead?

Thanks for your opinions up front.

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I would ask a doctor or physical therapist about the S1 problem - and ask what you should/not do.

If you don't like crowds, I would find something you like to do outside - walking, running, hiking, biking, etc. Or buy a good piece of equipment for your house. We have a treadmill that is about 5 years old and still as good as new. Well worth the $2500 we paid for it.

I think yoga can be enough, but it depends what results you want. I do yoga 6x a week, but I also walk and bike. My yoga is more static, so more strength than cardio - so I feel I need some cardio.

Hope that helps.
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Oh yes...I should have mentioned, I'm currently working with a PT and she approves what I can/can't do.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i go to my hot yoga class 2x a week, supplement the workouts with elliptical about 4x a week. in nicer weather, i would walk almost every day.

no one can really tell you if it is enough for you. give it a three week trial and see what happens.

good luck.
  • drussell5557
    Options
    The SI joint is problematic, according to my yoga instructor. She claims the only "cure" is to rest it completely.
    As far as whether yoga is enough, assuming you do enough core work, the only other thing you should need is cardio. I certainly wouldn't run with SI joint problems. Anything jarring will aggravate it. I am 62 and take a yoga class twice a week that concentrates on core. It has done wonders for me. I also go to the gym three times a week, riding the elliptical trainer for 30 minutes each time to warm up, and finish with some weight work (about 20 minutes worth). Most people have no idea I'm 62!
    By the way, I would strongly recommend doing yoga at a studio. The atmosphere and personal attention are MUCH superior to the yoga at the two gyms I've belonged to. A well-trained yoga instructor can help with your SI joint, so you could drop the PT. Hope that helps.
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    thanks to all for your opinions :-)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I practise yoga six times a week, different styles and intensities, and also do kettlebell and bodyweight sessions to enhance functional strength.

I would agree with YoginiMary on this one. Depending on the intensity and styles - and teachers - of Yoga you attend, yoga can most certainly be the entire program for strength, cardio and flexibility, balance and emotional well being; as you have already found.

You say you have not enjoyed the gym and that is fine. If you want to increase strength there are always bodyweight execises you can do to supplement your practise; subject to your PT's approval I guess.

Yoga will be excellent for your core strength and stability.

My yoga teacher broke his back in four places and also his collar bone, in a snowboarding accident and was told he would possibly never walk again. He walks very well after discovering yoga for himeself about six years ago - he walks quite well on his feet and also his hands!

Of course in yoga you can just hang out in the poses and get nothing out of the sessions and I guess that is where a lot of people feel yoga is just a soft option. Like anything, you have to put in to get out.

I recommend yoga to you with perhaps some strengthening exercises for your specific needs. Wishing you all the best.
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I do mainly yoga (Hot Vinyasa flow and lower intensity Vinyasa), and I dance (Irish, so it only works on the legs). I'm at the yoga studio up to 6 times a week. My arms, legs, stomach...are all very toned just with the yoga, and I am way more relaxed and centered. I have a bad back (among other things) and yoga has made it about 90% better!!