over eating and cycles

Options
I've been doing MFP for almost two months. I've lost three inches on my waist and four inches on my hips in the last four months. I think this program is immeasurably helpful, as I simply need to learn how to eat for one person, and for health. I have had absolutley no difficulties staying at right about 1200 cals a day until yesterday. I went over 700 cals! I know not to beat myself up, etc, but today I'm in the same boat! All I can think about is hearty warm soups, and eating about four servings of it.

My only explaination is it's a cycle thing. I must be PMS (I have a crazy cycle that only happens a few times a year- and unfortunately the phases of the cycle appear to last longer than for the average lady, so PMS can go on for some time). I'd love to know how other ladies have their dieting affected by their cycles, and what they do about it. I feel out of control....JUST WANT WARM SOUP AND RICE. warm soup and rice. warm soup and rice (at least it's not cheese I'm obsessing over! LOL!).

I'm drinking lots of water. getting exercise. But I seriously can't tell if I'm being an OCD food addict, or if this is just my body saying "Hey, lady, I've got some things going on here and I could really use some warm soup and rice."

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    p.s. Just fyi, due to my professional/personal life circumstances, working out 700 cals is just *not* going to fit into my day! Already thought of that!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I too have PMS cravings or wanting to eat more.....the only solution I found that works for me is to have it if I really want it and then I work my butt off to burn it off. I burn 500-600 calories everday tho.
    BUT I have also found during pms that I dont want to exercise either BUT I make myself do it and I feel 150% better, it relieves the symptoms and takes away the urge to eat. When I workout hard, I dont want to eat bad!
    maybe just work out when you can and modify as you can. Dont beat yourslef up, just do what you can!
    If you have lost inches then keep on keeping on!
    good luck!
  • LaurieMMcGee
    LaurieMMcGee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    During that "time" I crave chocolate like crazy. I've found that if I just eat some in moderation then it cures my craving and I can move on. If I don't eat it, then I eat everything else subconsciously trying to get that taste. I say eat the soup and rice in moderation for a couple of meals to get that craving out of the way, then you can move on.
  • kajaknowers
    kajaknowers Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    today I had my first really hunger day in the last 3 months and during lunchtime I literally wanted to gorge on everything so i ate about 800 cals in an hour but....then stopped....it means I haven't gone over my calories and I put it down to my body craving needs....if you want soup and rice eat it but throw away the rest so you don't gorge.

x
  • ComfortFoodAddict
    ComfortFoodAddict Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am like you and I have a weird cycle... it really isnt a cycle at all. I never know when I will start or stop I recently finished a 9 week cycle... and yes- it does affect my eating. I have overwhelming cravings for comfort foods and all kinds of salty foods. I try to justify it by saying "I already have one downer going... might as well try to feel better by eating what I want." I am trying the approach this time that I will stay strong!

I just dont want to exercise with I am on the cycyle either... Just feels weird. Anyway, I would suggest sticking to as much of your usual routine or amping it up some... but dont worry if you have one bad day.... Just try to be strong the rest of the time.
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    You're preaching to the choir.
    Right now all I want are donuts and chips.
    I figure, it's once a month for most of us...so it's not going to affect long term goals when you consider you are doing well the rest of the time.
    Enjoy life, your metabolism is actually higher during menstruation....that's the best time to eat something you crave!
  • ComfortFoodAddict
    ComfortFoodAddict Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Enjoy life, your metabolism is actually higher during menstruation....that's the best time to eat something you crave!
    [/quote]

Is this true?
  • cindyrey
    cindyrey Posts: 53
    Options
    I TOO HAD A BAD WEEK LAST WEEK GOING OVER MY CAL JUST ALITTLE BY ABOUT 300, I JUST COULDN'T GET ENOUGH TOO EAT. I DON'T PAY MUCH ATTENTION TO MY CYCLE SO I DON'T KNOW IF THATS IT OR NOT. BUT THIS WEEK I SEEM TO BE FINE. I AM BACK ON TRACK AGAIN. I DIDN'T LET IT GET TO ME, IF ANYTHING IT HAS MADE ME MORE DETERMINED TO LOSE THIS WEIGHT, I EVEN UPED MY EXERCISE TO 1 HOUR TWICE A DAY.
  • mariena
    mariena Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Honestly I wouldn't freak out over a few 700 calorie binges. You won't be on the same weight loss track, but you'll probably just maintain your weight at that calorie intake which is not that big of a deal for a small period of time. What is it about the soup and rice you love so much? Are they cream based soups (maybe you need calcium/dairy). Is it the sodium you are craving? Is it just the comforting warmth and ritual of eating it? I drink hot water all day long because I love the warmth. If I drink my water hot I drink 5x more than if it were cold. Also, think about switching to plain broth. I love to have a hot mug of vegetable broth or chicken broth between meals. It's so good and low calorie and my body is happy because it thinks it got to have a meal because it's so warm and satisfying.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    The soup is a vegan yam soup with chickpeas and some peanut butter in the sauce. I think it's protein my body wants.... I watered the soup down so I could make less stretch more. Today that seems to be helping!!! Thanks for all the advice everyone!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    also, lastnight I was cooking up a storm, ate three servings of chips, and then drank a huge amount of water. After I had the water, I was no longer hungry. I didn't even eat dinner, and stayed right around 1200! I think maybe I was just dehydrated and my body didn't know what was up!!!! Today I'm feeling back to normal! Thank goodness. Maybe I should actually start tracking my water consumption. I usually drink two huge jars a day, but I think lately I've been really digging my americano's which, uh, doesn't help in the hydration department!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that's your body's natural signal that you NEED to eat more than 1200 calories.
  • squoozyq
    Options
    I learned when I was pregnant, that when you are craving something, you are needing it in your diet. Could be milk products (ice cream) or french fries (potassium). Your body asks for what it needs!
    And yes, your metabolism is higher during your period...hence the sweats and stuff!
    S
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    I am back on the wagon :) No crazy cravings! I think there is something to be said for sometimes cravings are you need something, sometimes it's addiction. But sometimes your body just needs water and a good run!

Yesterday I ran 2.2 miles in under 15 minutes!

710859.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • squoozyq
    Options
    Cripes, with my short legs it took me 20 minutes to run 2 miles!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Either just let one day a week be your cheat day, or increase your daily calories. If I don't feel deprived during the week, I'm not as likely to go crazy.