C25K?

Options
I am seeing alot of posts about C25K?? What exactly is this?? I am new here so I am trying to learn about ways to help me get back in shape... Any input will help!.. Thanks.

Replies

• JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It's a running program called Couch to 5K, you can get the details on c25k.com
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    c25k is a program designed to help get you into running. Essentially at the end of 9 weeks you are supposed to be able to run/jog a 5k. It's awesome. It's real slow and gradual. It's 3 days a week. I've never been a runner and I'm about to finish week 4. Here is the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    C25K is Couch to 5 kilometers. It is a program to get you from not running at all to running a 5 km run in 9 weeks, running 3 times a week. It starts out with 60 minute walk/90 minute run intervals. There are lots of tools and programs out there. I love the podcast I found on iTunes. It is free to download and along with good paced music he tells you when to walk and when to run, talks you through all 9 weeks of the program. I just completed my first day today and feel great! Hope you decide to join!
  • granmalaura
    granmalaura Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi. C25K means couch to 5 kilometers in a given time, i think it is 10 weeks. I am doing C210K which is a programme to get you running 10 kilometers in 13 weeks. I am struggling a little with this and do not increase my time at the pace the programme wants, so tend to repeat each week twice and sometimes 3 times, so this programme will probaby take me something in the region of 30 - 35 weeks. At the moment I am running 1.45 minutes and walking 3.15 minutes 10 times three times a week. For somebody who cannot run, this is an achievement for me.
    Anyway that's what it means.

Laura
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    There also apps for the iphone if you have one! They are awesome!
  • Angie789
    Angie789 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It starts out with 60 minute walk/90 minute run intervals.
    Didn't want to scare you off - this poster meant 60 SECOND walk, 90 SECOND run intervals :)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a good program. I've been doing the elliptical since I've never ran in my life and it was lower impact (I have flat feet so it's harder to walk for long periods of time). I'm not sure if running is better for getting in shape than an elliptical, I'd love if anyone had input to which might be better for an overall workout. There's actually a running path around the lake next to my apartment complex. As long as it's not insanely hot out... it's 91 degrees here in Northern VA today!
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    It starts out with 60 minute walk/90 minute run intervals.
    Didn't want to scare you off - this poster meant 60 SECOND walk, 90 SECOND run intervals :)

Sorry, yes, i meant seconds not minutes!!!!
  • jlhommedieu
    Options
    Thanks to all who gave me info.. I have downloaded my PodCasts for some music to start with and am very excited to get back into the running world.. Back in the day I used to do 5 miles a day.. but that was quite a long time ago, so I am looking forward to the baby steps that I am taking to get back into it.. thanks again.