high protein and exercise endurance??

Options
hello there,

ok so im back to the diet / exercise ...this time something weird happened.

my exercise is 15 mins on elliptical and 45 mins on treadmill with 4.0 mph speed

now im on new "high protein" diet and not my old normal "cut some calories" diet

normally on my 1st exercise after long time slack i would be tired as hell and near-death.

now i just came from the gym and im....feeling OK lol..i mean ofcourse im sweating during exercise

and my body is little sore but i mean...i dont feel tired or destructed like during my normal diet in the past.

and keep in mind that im no way lighter than before....im alot heavier than before

is this normal ? is there a connection between high protein and exercise endurance?

i know this prolly known to alot but its not for me....please confirm it :)

thx for help in advance and god bless

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Yes. You actually need more protein for cardio/endurance exercise than lifting. Obviously lifting requires protein, too, but you need even more for cardio.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    ...i dont feel tired or destructed like during my normal diet in the past.

... is there a connection between high protein and exercise endurance?

I find that when I up my protein intake to 40% of my calories, my endurance and my body thanks me for it - - more energy, less aches and pains. The endurance is probably a function of the fact that you're body has rebuilt the muscle quicker than without the protein (which must have been lower in your "normal" diet before).
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    First off, never eat below your BMR for more than 2 days. You risk metabolic shutdown.

Next, protein is essential for muscle repair/growth... it has nothing to do with cardio/endurance other than helping to repair your muscles quickly for the next period of exercise. If you are lifting regularly then increasing protein is a great idea. However if you are strictly a cardio person then you need to make sure you keep a good carb intake as well for your glycogen stores.

Glycogen stores are what your body uses for exercise, whether it be lifting or cardio. This is why most trainers recommend doing cardio AFTER you lift. Doing heavy cardio prior to a lifting split will reduce your stores and not give you much gas for lifting heavy. A quick 5 minute warm-up of cardio is fine, but it should also be low intensity. The main source of glycogen store refueling is good carbs. There's a reason marathoners 'carb load' prior to a race and not 'protein load'.

You most likely feel ok after your routines because your muscles are soaking up the protein to help repair them. Another way to avoid soreness and muscle break-down is to add BCAA's to your supplement stack.

If you lift and do cardio in the same session then a good post-split meal with equal parts protein and complex carbs is the best. Also remember, all you are doing in the gym is breaking down muscle. The repair comes when you are NOT in the gym, mainly when you are asleep. Plenty of rest also helps reduce muscle fatigue.

At least this is what my trainer has told me... just my 2¢

Cheers!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    First off, never eat below your BMR for more than 2 days. You risk metabolic shutdown.

otherwise known as death?
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options

What exactly do you mean by this?
  • sabrekism
    sabrekism Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i done a research on the "dont eat below ur BMR" in the past..

no clear evidence or study regarding that...i even traveled to another country and looking at there obesity research lab and the experts told me this "ITS A PLAIN MYTH"

also i got 2 of my best friends lost all there weight eating below it.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

otherwise known as death?

how would someone lose weight if they didnt eat below their BMR... how would one truely know their BMR? metabolism slows down when you are in a catabolic state anyways.. anyone who is in fair shape and trying to lose weight ur metabolism will slow down from eating less.