tweaked my shoulder

Options
I was lifting today and must of got out of balance with the dumbells and tweaked shoulder. It aches when raise my arm. Any suggestions on how to treat my shoulder so it doesnt hurt. My next lifting day is Monday but I am going to skip that one to let shoulder rest and hopefully come back Wednesday.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    do you have shoulder issues from the past?

what do you mean by tweaked, is it the muscles are the joints?
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I over extended it from lifting too heavy of a dumbell when doing a shoulder press.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Rest it
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i would take more than a few days off id do like a week or maybe two from upper body movements.. good way to prevent shoulder injuries in future is to make sure rear delts are as strong as front delts because usually front ones are over developed... also posture might be an issue so rear delt exercises can correct that.

also shoulder mobility is important so doing exercises with stretching bands behind ur back can help along with external rotator cuff exercises.

ive had shoulder problems all my life from playing baseball.. once i stopped playing and got shoulder surgery i am very carefull with them because they have to do with everything with upper body lifting... they are now my strongest body part after taking care of them well with shoulder exercises having far better numbers than my other lifts in comparrison.

good luck.
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    Rest it and ice it.

Don't let your ego get in the way, and drop the weight a bit (a lot at first) - go more reps if you need to. Build back up to the weight you lift now. Baby it a little bit until you know it is better.
    I ended up in physical therapy for almost 8 weeks from not listening to my shoulder. It is MUCH better now - about 5 months later, but still acts up on occasion.

Depending on which exact muscle is unhappy, there are various exercises that can help. I still do all the exercises from my PT, especially when I can feel the discomfort start back.
  • jackaroo21
    Options
    Good point. My posture was terrible. the shoulder press benches with the backs on them were full so I just used a regular bench and it threw off my form. Dumbell started going backwards when i had it above my head and tweaked shoulder when i tried to save it. Should of just dropped the dumbell. Im the dumbell now.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i would take more than a few days off id do like a week or maybe two from upper body movements.. good way to prevent shoulder injuries in future is to make sure rear delts are as strong as front delts because usually front ones are over developed... also posture might be an issue so rear delt exercises can correct that.

also shoulder mobility is important so doing exercises with stretching bands behind ur back can help along with external rotator cuff exercises.

ive had shoulder problems all my life from playing baseball.. once i stopped playing and got shoulder surgery i am very carefull with them because they have to do with everything with upper body lifting... they are now my strongest body part after taking care of them well with shoulder exercises having far better numbers than my other lifts in comparrison.

good luck.
    This! You do not want to make the injury a super injury! Give it even a couple days after it feels better.
  • jackaroo21
    Options
    Thanks. Rest it is then. No point in turning a minor injury into a major one.
  • jackaroo21
    Options
    what kind of stretches would be good. I need to start stretching more in general. Never really have, im not 21 anymore.