Advice Needed on Food Scale

Options
I'd like to get a scale for weighing food. I've been estimating and I'm losing weight at the rate I'd expect with those estimations, but I want to be more precise. Can anyone recommend a decent scale that isn't too expensive? Under $20 would be nice. :wink:

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Santa gave me a Sharper Image digital food scale. I love it. If you put a container on it before turning it on it zeros out (doesn't count the container weight). I think Santa bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond, but not sure

ETA--your weight loss and before and after pics are awesome, congrats!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I don't know the brand name but mine came from kmart and I believe it was around 20 bucks. Its does the zero out of the dish your using and does weights in ounces and grams which is helpful.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Santa gave me a Sharper Image digital food scale. I love it. If you put a container on it before turning it on it zeros out (doesn't count the container weight). I think Santa bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond, but not sure

ETA--your weight loss and before and after pics are awesome, congrats!

Thanks! And I'll check out that scale on their website. I THINK we have a Bed Bath and Beyond about 20 miles away.
  • Whimzeee
    Whimzeee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I bought the Biggest Loser Digital Scale at Bed, Bath and Beyond and love it. It was $20 before using their $5 coupon.
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I ordered the Eatsmart Precision scale off amazon for $25 and love it. It was delivered in one day as well, which was nice
  • Tetonia
    Tetonia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My food scale is digital, made by Polder. I got it at Costco and it seems it was around $20. The features that I like are that I can switch easliy from grams to ounces and it has a tare feature to zero out the dish weight.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Go digital. I bet you can find some good sales this time of year!
  • 780ck
    780ck Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I got one from Walmart. Was about $15. Had for many years & has been great! Can easily switch from oz to grams. Brand is "Taylor". I love my scale!
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you go sign up to get their emails, you can get a bed bath & beyond coupon for 20% off. You never get off the mailing list, but the coupons can also be used even after they expire so I don't mind.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My recommendations would be:
    * Digital
    * Flat surface. Versatile and easy to clean if there are no gaps beside the display or buttons. Don't be tempted by ones with bowls. They just make the scale less versatile and harder to store.
    * 5 kg maximum. Most now have this. The old maximum of 3 kg will do. (The chips inside scales are metric).
    * Shows grams or ounces. Most do.

You can get a Soehnle flip for as little as $19.99:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=soehnle flip
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
  • MsDover
    Options
    Since we were heading up to the mall today anyway I logged on to the Bed, Bath and Beyond site, signed up for email notifications and got that 20% off coupon (thanks girlnamedlee!). I did end up getting the Sharper Image scale. Just got it home and now I'll read the directions and get it up and running. Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll report back on how it's working for me!
  • MsDover
    Options
    And.... it works and I love it! I've been estimating and guessing for the last 2 1/2 months. I have to say I was pretty close, but the couple of "test" measurements I just did show me I was overestimating by a bit (logging something at 5 ounces when it was actually 4) so that is awesome! I also like that you can adjust the scale so that you can weigh the food IN something and just get the weight of the food and not the container, too.

Editing to say that with the 20% off coupon it was just under $20!
  • Shrinking_Stacey
    Options
    Thanks for this, was just looking!
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have an EatSmart digital food scale --- LOVE IT. Highly recommend it (and their company in general). You can order from them on Amazon and check out all the great reviews. I like reading reviews before buying anything. Very inexpensive too although I don't recall the price offhand :)
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Those 20% off coupons are the best! Glad you found one - good luck :)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I've had my 15.00 Salton scale for at least two years now. I love it. I take it into work every 6 months to be sure it's measuring correctly (I work in a metrology lab) and sure enough it's perfect down to the gram and up to 2lbs.

I love it.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Since we were heading up to the mall today anyway I logged on to the Bed, Bath and Beyond site, signed up for email notifications and got that 20% off coupon (thanks girlnamedlee!). I did end up getting the Sharper Image scale. Just got it home and now I'll read the directions and get it up and running. Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll report back on how it's working for me!

Glad you found one!
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Go digital. I bet you can find some good sales this time of year!

Agree!!! Gotta be digital!!!
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    i got mines from Asda £ 5 not sure think thats $10 cheap but does the job