"8-Hour Diet" Plan?

Options

Replies

• EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Someone please smack me to stop from laughing......please......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There are no quick fixes. Set goals, eat right, exercise = WIN
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is of no importance. You could eat your total daily calorie goal at one sitting. However, the only main objective to this is to find what works for you. Who said you "had" to eat breakfast? You don't. I am one of those people who needs fuel first thing in the morning because that's when I do my most heaviest training.

As long as you are getting proper nutrition and you are in a calorie deficit, you will have weight loss. You don't have to follow some ridiculous plan or go out and buy books on eating certain foods at certain times, ect. If anything, pick up The New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Also for IF, most of the research done showing positive effects were completed on male subjects, and hormonal differences do play a huge role. There is some research done showing females responding NEGATIVELY to fasting:

■ One study (1) found that while IF improved insulin sensitivity in male subjects, female subjects saw no such improvement. In fact, the glucose tolerance of fasting women actually worsened.

■ In another study (2) in response to fasted cycling training, men showed greater skeletal muscle adaptations when fasted. Women had better muscle adaptations when fed.

(1) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15833943?dopt=Abstract
    (2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20452283
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think this looks legit. It doesnt look like a fad diet at all and actually eating between 9 and 5 or 10 and 6 isnt that uncommon for most so to me it looks pretty easy to follow. I think I am going to give it a try!
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I am loving all this feedback! I'm glad there are people who agree and people who disagree - gives you something to think about. Kind of like a devil's advocate, if you will.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I really do appreciate ALL input! :flowerforyou:
  • lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    Someone please smack me to stop from laughing......please......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There are no quick fixes. Set goals, eat right, exercise = WIN

TRUTH^^^^ It's really that simple, guys! It may not be easy but it's certainly not that complicated.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I eat from 11 am - 6 pm and it works if you have problems with binging. I don't understand the people laughing and saying it's not a "quick fix" all it does is change your eating schedule, you still eat the same amount of calories.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I eat from 11 am - 6 pm and it works if you have problems with binging. I don't understand the people laughing and saying it's not a "quick fix" all it does is change your eating schedule, you still eat the same amount of calories.

Thank you! That is exactly what I was trying to say! :happy:

I'm not looking for a "fad diet" or even a "diet" - I'm making lifestyle changes I can stick to and just changing the hours that I consume my calories.

FOR THE RECORD - I'm not looking for a "quick fix". I will be eating better (not perfect, but oh well), exercising, and trying to accomplish goals.

No reason for all the negativity and/or sarcasm - I thought we were all here for similar reasons and I was just looking for input on an idea.

(My mother always told me "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." - I wish more people were raised this way!) :wink:
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

(My mother always told me "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." - I wish more people were raised this way!) :wink:

My mother used to say this too....but that was before the internet existed. :laugh:
  • connieannw
    connieannw Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss journey I went to the Doctor and asked for some guidelines.
    This is what she told me:
    Shut your mouth and move!
    Once I stopped laughing I realized:
    Very simple advice.
    If your mouth is shut you are not stuffing food into it.
    If you are moving you are burning calories and too busy to stop and shove food in your mouth.
    AND IT'S FREE!!!!!!
    I am still trying to master this before going on to some other more challenging life style changes.
    :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This. Choosing to IF is no different than choosing to eat 5 meals a day with 3 strategically placed snacks in between them to "stoke the metabolism" (lulz.) It's not a magical diet method, it's just an eating schedule. Some people prefer it, because we like eating larger portions of food. I'd much rather eat 1 1500 calorie meal, rather than a bunch of 300 calorie "snacks." Plus I work in retail, I don't have the kind of schedule that allows me to stop and eat every hour, on the hour.

There are also a lot of people who put on weight due to mindless grazing all day, setting a hard time window of when they can eat helps break that habit, making calorie control easier.

Bottom line, it's all personal preference, and really, the only thing that's a joke in this thread is the actual book in question, as there is plenty of very good, very scientifically sound information available for free on the internet, like leangains.com. Martin does an excellent job of explaining things. Also, agreed that IF may not be beneficial to women, but there really isn't anywhere near enough information out there to really make a firm conclusion yet.
  • Robinson102012
    Robinson102012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on my fourth day of the 8 hour diet and it really isn't that hard to do. I don't think it is a fad either. It's just controlling the timeframe in which you eat. I will let you know if it seems to help. I exercise regularly and try to eat as healthy as I can. Figured I'd give it a try just to see if it makes a difference. The book promotes healthy eating.
  • geisharunner219
    Options
    This is actually my first day on this. I'm a cubical dweller for 40+ hrs a week so it's *very* easy for me to graze all day. And then I get home and have to make a big meal for my family of 4. On average I'm up at 630 and go to bed at midnight. Quite a long day to stretch calories out! So hopefully this will help me get things back on track! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    I do 18/6.... Not because I read it somehwere, it's just what works for me. I did read about it after I'd worked this out on my own before ever hearing about it.

"Breakfast" to me is at about 3 hours after waking - about 300-500 cals. My next meal is 5-6 hours later, about 1000-1200 cals. Then I go to bed about five hours after that. Only litte deviation is my 150 calorie coffee right after I get up...so I guess that makes it more like 15/9ish.

I've been maintaining on this pretty effortlessly. Of course, there are days I go off-plan - but for the most part this is my style.
  • cchartrand1978
    cchartrand1978 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've read about the 8 hour diet, did a little research and thought "What the heck, try it". So I've been on it on for going on two weeks. My eating frame is from 8-4, then I fast for the rest of the time. I found it very difficult the first 5 days to not eat in the early evening, as I work and don't get home to make supper until 5pm. But I adjusted my eating schedule and really feel great. I'm less hungrey and haven't over ate. I haven't weighed my self but that's not why I'm trying this. I really just want to put a little balance in my eating schedule. I would like to try and get rid of the bad snacking habbits in the evening. It also makes me drink way more water after my eating schedule is done, which has to be a good thing, right? It's very easy to do, I use my app to count my calories and for my weight loss goal, I only intake 1260 calories on the good days :)
  • sherimt1
    Options
    So glad that a couple of the people commenting have at least read the book. The science behind the eight hour diet is extremely interesting and it is a cumulative analysis of several years of research and other fasting plans. When you read about the science behind how our stomachs, liver and digestive systems actually work and relate it to how we as a society eat it makes so much sense why we have become obese. He probably should not have called it a diet because it is not in any way what we expect a diet to be, in fact, he says in the beginning that this will go against everything we have ever learned about diets.
    I started it on Monday. I am eating 11am-7pm everyday, trying to get my 8 super foods in and haven't done much with the 8 minutes of exercise. I eat what I want. I have lost 1 pound as of this morning and began my period this morning, which this should have been a weight gain and bloating week! Tuesday morning I experienced a significant reduction of bloating. I wish that I had measured before starting because as of today I am wearing jeans I haven't been able to button in 6 months and a bra with the same problem. Even though the scale is not dropping huge amounts (or maybe it will) the inches and significant lessening of bloating that I carry in my stomach area is incredible. I love not "dieting" I am still eating "normally" and trying to get the 8 super foods in as well. I just don't eat after 7 and only have some water and my coffee before 11. I feel good and I am not having the afternoon sleepys and my evening indigestion has subsided. I also have more energy.
    This is easy. I really recommend you read the book if you can, check it out at the library or it is cheaper if you put it on your kindle. I am excited to see what the next few weeks bring.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I do 20/4 and I love it. It's not a "fad diet", in fact it's not a "diet" at all, it's simply an eating schedule. After a week or two, your ghrelin stops spiking throughout the day so you stop being hungry. I just eat dinner and that's it. I'm never hungry before dinner anymore.
  • kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This. Choosing to IF is no different than choosing to eat 5 meals a day with 3 strategically placed snacks in between them to "stoke the metabolism" (lulz.) It's not a magical diet method, it's just an eating schedule. Some people prefer it, because we like eating larger portions of food. I'd much rather eat 1 1500 calorie meal, rather than a bunch of 300 calorie "snacks." Plus I work in retail, I don't have the kind of schedule that allows me to stop and eat every hour, on the hour.

There are also a lot of people who put on weight due to mindless grazing all day, setting a hard time window of when they can eat helps break that habit, making calorie control easier.

Bottom line, it's all personal preference, and really, the only thing that's a joke in this thread is the actual book in question, as there is plenty of very good, very scientifically sound information available for free on the internet, like leangains.com. Martin does an excellent job of explaining things. Also, agreed that IF may not be beneficial to women, but there really isn't anywhere near enough information out there to really make a firm conclusion yet.

I wish I had read this before googling intermittent fasting and trying to figure out what on earth people were talking about!! That being said, I'm gonna give this a shot. I usually work til 7, so always fail at the no eating after 7 (eat dinner after I get home), but have never thought to up my breakfast, either. I usually eat right when I get up. And I'd rather a large calorie meal myself than the 300 calorie ones, I never feel full!! Am interested to see how this works out since I am a woman, LOL! Maybe I'll follow yours, but do it 12-7 or 1-8? Although I usually start feeling dizzy/faint if I get too hungry...... guess I could drink a lot of water or try something small until I get used to it.

I also don't understand what 20/4, 16/8..... is is just fasting 20 hours/eating 4? (Sorry, this is really the first I've heard of fasting that didn't involve two to three days- and wasn't members in a church)
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    im in no position to judge anyone for researching or wanting to try ways to lose the weight. i have a ton of weight to lose myself. but it all boils down to how bad you want it and what your willing to do to make it happen. any fad diet like an 8 hour diet is going to have its set backs. we all need to learn how to change our habits. our bad habits got us here! we have to be accountable for what we eat and how much we exercise. if you stick to a calorie goal and an exercise goal your going to get results. for me i have had to work out on a daily basis an hour or more to lose a pound or two a day. for me it works cause i have the time. but others in the real world work and take care of kids. kids and husbands have certain meal demands. also being on the go we tend to eat out more and rely on convenience foods. for example, one of my bad habits was a morning ritual of getting an ice coffee at mcdonalds. with that i would order breakfast. so a large caramel ice coffee is god knows how many calories. then i would order two burritos on top of that. just the food is 600 calories. then the coffee! even if you can make changes like that, it will help! and that is a life style change. not a quick fix.
  • skwashua
    Options
    I do 20/4 and I love it. It's not a "fad diet", in fact it's not a "diet" at all, it's simply an eating schedule. After a week or two, your ghrelin stops spiking throughout the day so you stop being hungry. I just eat dinner and that's it. I'm never hungry before dinner anymore.

What else do you eat during those 4 hours if you are just eating dinner?

I'm thinking I might try just lunch and dinner.
  • AESprouse
    AESprouse Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I started this yesterday and so far so good... My sleep schedule is a little different than most so I eat from 4pm-12am and fast the rest of the time.