eating what you want as long as its under your calories?

Options
Hey, I was wondering does anyone here just eating whatever they want as long as it's under their calorie limit for the day? If so, have you seen good results? I don't mean eating like cheeseburgers and fries everyday, I mean eating healthy stuff for meals and then having some ice cream for snack everyday as long as its under your daily calorie goal?

If your over your protein,fat, or sugar by less than 20 is that ok? Will you still lose weigt?

Replies

• amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I had great success that way. Between January and June last year I lost 38 pounds. As long as I was within my calories, I ate it. I stopped being good about logging my food and doing right for a few months and have just maintained, but now am logging and eating my 1200 calories again to lose my last 30.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    That's what I do.
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Your body has a harder time breaking down artificial sugars rather than natural sugars. You'll lose because of the lower calories but you'll lose healthier and faster eating natural, cleaner foods. Ice cream and chocolate have tons of sugar and your body will have a hard time breaking that down, so obviously a piece of fruit is the better choice.

I'm no health freak, and I've lost 84 pounds. But I try to stay away from that kind of stuff. I mean I'll have a piece of chocolate maybe once every two weeks as a treat, or I'll have McDonalds (a lower calorie option) once a month.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    yep

i try to hit my protein macro, and let the rest fall into place.
  • mghanie
    mghanie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    a healthy meal for me is like tuna or a cup of chickpeas. would baked turkey meat and a healthy tortilla wrap be considered a healthy meal? Can someone please look at my diary and see if what I'm eating is considered healthy, and will help me lose those last 6lbs? Ignore the 23rd it was my birthday so I ate lots and the 25th because it was Christmas :)
    thank you.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Your body has a harder time breaking down artificial sugars rather than natural sugars. You'll lose because of the lower calories but you'll lose healthier and faster eating natural, cleaner foods. Ice cream and chocolate have tons of sugar and your body will have a hard time breaking that down, so obviously a piece of fruit is the better choice.

I'm no health freak, and I've lost 84 pounds. But I try to stay away from that kind of stuff. I mean I'll have a piece of chocolate maybe once every two weeks as a treat, or I'll have McDonalds (a lower calorie option) once a month.

It looks like you've had great success. Congrats!

However, what you described is the way you enjoy eating, I'm guessing. There are plenty of people that have ice cream, cake, pop tarts, etc. on a daily basis while still meeting there calorie and macro goals. These folks have also been successful at body recomposition eating this way.

OP, if that is what you enjoy and it's a way that you will stay on track, then make room for those snacks.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Hey, I was wondering does anyone here just eating whatever they want as long as it's under their calorie limit for the day? If so, have you seen good results? I don't mean eating like cheeseburgers and fries everyday, I mean eating healthy stuff for meals and then having some ice cream for snack everyday as long as its under your daily calorie goal?
    I eat what I want while staying under my calorie limit and hitting my protein and fat macros. Read this excellent thread by Sidesteel explaining the IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) school of thought:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options

However, what you described is the way you enjoy eating, I'm guessing. There are plenty of people that have ice cream, cake, pop tarts, etc. on a daily basis while still meeting there calorie and macro goals. These folks have also been successful at body recomposition eating this way.

OP, if that is what you enjoy and it's a way that you will stay on track, then make room for those snacks.

Agree 100% with this right here. I had a slice of sweet potato pie every day for about a week and still lost weight. Keeping a deficit is still #1 regardless....
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'd probably also want to make sure you are staying under or maintain everything else such as fat and carbs. Other than that, hell yeah, eat what you want!
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you're only goal is to lose weight then ya. I have to admit that's the major point for me too. But I also have to really watch my sodium and cholesterol intake for other health reasons.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want and it's working so far ;)
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I try to eat clean 80% of the time. But I refuse to eat foods I dont like. Within the 20% I will fit in some daily chocolate...and the occassional meal out. I find that works best for me :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Although I am taking a few days off from the ice cream, I ate 1/2 a cup worth when I was cutting (Eating 2500-2600).

The term "clean" is taken too literally here. One's main objective is to satisfy the amount of energy needed to: maintain body weight + fat loss goal (when accounting for physical activity). After that, it's your macros: proteins, fats and carbs. If I am good on the basic micronutrients and pretty much hit my protein goals, then I will fill the remaining energy needs with ice cream, not a stalk of celery.
  • LivingJuicy
    LivingJuicy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm doing now, and I mind my carb macro. I've lost about 25 pounds that way. I'm just trying to make mindful eating a habit. I am pretty sure that as my weight goes down, so will my calorie goal, and I'm going to have to make consistently better choices to continue hitting that goal or staying under. But I am determined not to feel hungry or deprived. So far, so good.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out and I eat sweets everyday (horrible sweet tooth!) and met and surpassed my goal!
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    That is what I have been primarily doing for the 8 months I have been using MFP and have lost overall 52 lbs (~1.5 lbs per week). To ensure I stay under my calorie target and to be healthier I do work out 5-6 days a week.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Ice-cream every day works for me. My body does not break the sugar in ice-cream any different than it does the sugar in apples.

OP: I hit my protein and fat targets, make sure I have a sensible balanced diet which also includes ice-cream, cheesecake and pop tarts
  • MooMyuu
    MooMyuu Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I'm mixed about it...

Yes, you will get results that way (I've always had results doing that). But because you're not changing your eating habits overall, it doesn't work in the long run.

More than that... and I'm going to harp a little here and possibly step on some toes, but I'm just saying... Dairy, is REALLY bad for you. Dairy is extremely high in fats and sugars, AND the "calcium" and "vitamin D" that are found in dairy are ADDED in there. Dairy is not a natural source of Vitamin D or Calcium.

If you want to see really awesome improvements, drop the dairy. Your weight will decrease, and your digestion and immune system will improve.

I recommend giving it a try.

If you have to have ice cream or milk shakes or smoothies, try homemaking it and substituting milk for almond milk. much healthier and homemade tastes soooo much better!!!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    That's what I do! I do eat between 1250-1350 cals most day, so there isn't alot of room for alot of junk - I have to eat filling things with fruits and veggies, but if I want something I have it.

ETA: It has to be a lifestyle change you can stick to for the rest of your life. If you take out EVERYTHING you LOVE, you will never stick to it. Keep that in mind.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'd starve if I ate 3 - 400 calorie meals. I mean, one cup of Velveeta shells and cheese, vs 6 cups of romaine lettuce, 4-8 oz of grilled chicken, a ton of veggies, nuts, croutons and light dressing.... There is no comparison in how I'd feel as far as being satisfied and not hungry again in 10 minutes. Another example, one slice of pizza or grilled salmon and 2 cups of veggies and a sweet potato.
    I feel like I eat all day long and I rarely get hungry. If I had the mac n cheese and pizza, Id be starving.
    Every person is different so you'll have to figure out what works best for you. IMO, the best thing to do is to eat some of the stuff you crave every so often so you don't go crazy and binge once you do have it. Also eat within your means. Exercise more and you can eat more and still have a calorie deficit and lose weight!