New looking for some advice on healthy foods

Options
I dont want to follow some diet plan like akins or weight watchers. I just want to eat healthy and smaller portions. I need to know what are some things i can do to accomplish this goal. Also what are some good frozen dinners. i know there not healthy but just for when i dont have time to cook. I love veggies and salads so the healthy part isnt so bad its knowing how much i can eat or what i should eat to get my daily vitamens. Im struggling with chronic fatigue and i have two kids so i got to have something they would also like too. Its more a family thing too thats why i say im not following anything specific. Thanks

Replies

• RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    frozen dinners suck make sandwiches and microwavable soups/crackers or yogurt
  • rrrayondesoleil
    Options
    Well, something my mother always did when I was little was cook big batches of things and freeze them :) She would make chilis, spaghetti sauces, etc and freeze them to reheat as a weeknight meal.

The best part about these meals is that they can be full of vegetables! Chili made with beans, lean ground beef, peppers, onions, and tomatos is full of goodness for you and your family. Soups are also great ways to made huge batches of satisfying meals to freeze that can also carry great nutritional benefits.

For your chronic fatigue, I would first and foremost discuss this with your doctor. They may be able to more accurately pinpoint in what you are deficient or if there is another medical problem. Aside from this, consuming a lot of plant-based foods is great for vitamin and mineral intake. If you don't have the patience for all the veggies, try juicing or smoothies. Lastly, supplements are always something to consider :)

I hope I was helpful! Good luck :)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Honestly. If it comes packaged in a box or plastic... I wouldn't eat it. Nothing but chemicals and sodium. Get yourself a small food scale and some sort of small electric grille like a small Foreman. Grill up some chicken, talapia, lean beef or turkey, some whole grain complex carbs and some green veggies. 4-6 oz of meat for a woman 6-8 oz for a man per sitting. Eat every 2-3 hours. Snack on almonds, nuts (no salt). No diet drinks. It's easy and you will be eating clean.

Best part is you can pre-cook and cut up the meats, make your meals ahead of time and store them in containers to nuke later. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you feel the benefits of clean eating you won't go back.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Well, something my mother always did when I was little was cook big batches of things and freeze them :) She would make chilis, spaghetti sauces, etc and freeze them to reheat as a weeknight meal.

The best part about these meals is that they can be full of vegetables! Chili made with beans, lean ground beef, peppers, onions, and tomatos is full of goodness for you and your family. Soups are also great ways to made huge batches of satisfying meals to freeze that can also carry great nutritional benefits.

For your chronic fatigue, I would first and foremost discuss this with your doctor. They may be able to more accurately pinpoint in what you are deficient or if there is another medical problem. Aside from this, consuming a lot of plant-based foods is great for vitamin and mineral intake. If you don't have the patience for all the veggies, try juicing or smoothies. Lastly, supplements are always something to consider :)

I hope I was helpful! Good luck :)
    This! Love this! Started doing it a year ago… not so much recently, but soon I will get back to it!!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    But, fruit smoothies are great! I make mine with a banana, 2 servings of frozen fruit, 1 cup of kefir, 6oz of Greek yogurt. I use every king of fruit you can imagine, I prep it and freeze it. Some of the best ones are blueberry(I buy frozen blueberries), tangerine(you need to de-seed them, but so worth the effort!!), pomegranate (another labor-intensive prep, but worth every minute), fresh picked strawberry (when I pick them, I pick the ones that will be bad tomorrow, I eat a few, prep the rest and freeze!! They are so amazing compared to store-bought strawberries!)… And whatever fruit you like best. I use kiwis, papayas, mangos, peaches, plums etc. etc. etc!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Roast a chicken. Freeze the meat, and use the bones to make broth.
    Roast a cut of beef. Cut up and freeze.
    Cook a pot of pinto beans. Drain a bit, if you like, and freeze/ refrigerate.
    slender cuts of fish such as salmon thaw quickly from the freezer.
    Canned tuna in the pantry.
    Make a batch of white rice or brown rice or both.

The above done, you can make so many things by having some staples
    breads
    lettuce
    tomatoes
    avocados
    onions
    mayonnaise
    veggies to steam such as zucchini
    veggies to roast such as butternut squash, potatoes, carrots
    Grated cheeses
    spaghetti sauce
    salsa
    yogurt
    sourcream

And of course an assortment of fruit
  • jennywaldrop
    Options
    Honestly. If it comes packaged in a box or plastic... I wouldn't eat it. Nothing but chemicals and sodium. Get yourself a small food scale and some sort of small electric grille like a small Foreman. Grill up some chicken, talapia, lean beef or turkey, some whole grain complex carbs and some green veggies. 4-6 oz of meat for a woman 6-8 oz for a man per sitting. Eat every 2-3 hours. Snack on almonds, nuts (no salt). No diet drinks. It's easy and you will be eating clean.

Best part is you can pre-cook and cut up the meats, make your meals ahead of time and store them in containers to nuke later. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you feel the benefits of clean eating you won't go back.
    Thanks thats great advice i do love almonds and talapia. I have a old food scale that ill have to break out soon. Thanks again
  • jennywaldrop
    Options
    Roast a chicken. Freeze the meat, and use the bones to make broth.
    Roast a cut of beef. Cut up and freeze.
    Cook a pot of pinto beans. Drain a bit, if you like, and freeze/ refrigerate.
    slender cuts of fish such as salmon thaw quickly from the freezer.
    Canned tuna in the pantry.
    Make a batch of white rice or brown rice or both.

The above done, you can make so many things by having some staples
    breads
    lettuce
    tomatoes
    avocados
    onions
    mayonnaise
    veggies to steam such as zucchini
    veggies to roast such as butternut squash, potatoes, carrots
    Grated cheeses
    spaghetti sauce
    salsa
    yogurt
    sourcream

And of course an assortment of fruit
    Thank you for the details greatly appreciated!
  • jennywaldrop
    Options
    But, fruit smoothies are great! I make mine with a banana, 2 servings of frozen fruit, 1 cup of kefir, 6oz of Greek yogurt. I use every king of fruit you can imagine, I prep it and freeze it. Some of the best ones are blueberry(I buy frozen blueberries), tangerine(you need to de-seed them, but so worth the effort!!), pomegranate (another labor-intensive prep, but worth every minute), fresh picked strawberry (when I pick them, I pick the ones that will be bad tomorrow, I eat a few, prep the rest and freeze!! They are so amazing compared to store-bought strawberries!)… And whatever fruit you like best. I use kiwis, papayas, mangos, peaches, plums etc. etc. etc!
    I have a garden in the summer and grow strawberries! They are sooo much better than store bought. Thanks for the shake idea im looking for some for breakfast
  • Topher1978
    Options
    That is my breakfast every day almost for 4 months with 2 squares of dark chocolate and 1-4 cups of coffee. Those are all good for you!! Unless you have hypertension, then maybe skip the coffee.
  • livingdeadlifter
    Options
    Stick to the following: vegetables, fruits, meat, eggs, fish, minimally processed dairy (probiotic yogurt, cheese, cream), fats (butter, avocado, olive oil), nuts, and maybe whole grains. Go crazy with spices and sauces, just don't use sugar or flour in them if you can help it! Drink water, tea, coffee. Indian cuisine, Asian cuisine, Mexican cuisine... SO many healthy options!

I love making veggie-egg scrambles with avocado and salsa. I also love plain Greek yogurt with some fresh fruit mixed in, or even just by itself. Both are pretty quick to prepare so if you've got to attend to your kids and job, those might be easy for breakfast. Also I'm a fan of sauteeing just about anything. Doesn't take too long and you can vary things endlessly.

I know this doesn't sound kid-friendly... I personally don't think bread and sugar are very good for any of us but unfortunately they're pretty central in people's diets. Maybe oatmeal with peanut butter? Simple but delicious and filling. And cutting up veggies and fruit with peanut butter and a bit of cheese might be more family-friendly. :)

if you like frozen food when you don't have a lot of time, buy chicken, fish, and veggies frozen in bulk for making quick meals. If you're into vegetarian food, kashi and Amy's make good frozen single-portion meals, but they're pricey, unfortunately.