Making food from scratch

Options
Hi, I'm new here and a little confused. When you are making something from scratch, ie a stir fry; how do you mark down your calories and stuff. Do I put it in by each ingredients or do I guess? I am so confused. I am making enough for 3 people plus left overs....

I hope that makes sense. Thanks.

Replies

• karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can use the recipes under food. It will figure out all of those things for you. As my husband cooks, he reads me the ingredients and I log in his recipes. It's a great tool. Try it.
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You can enter the ingredients in the list for the day separately or...you could make a custom recipe and add a portion of that recipe to your daily entry....the program will do the math for you dividing the calories and other nutrients. Its a cool feature!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Yes I make most of my food from scratch. What you want to do is under food click on recipe then just input your recipe (with ingredients and serving size) and then you will have the meal saved. So if you make bread then under lunch you can click on recipes and "the bread" and voila~ there it is.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Use the Recipe section and create it yourself, then name it. I usually make each serving one cup of completed recipe. If I eat more or less than that, then I can adjust. One cup is just a nice round number.

But yes- you have to list each ingredient or how else will you know how many calories it was you just consumed?
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've entered a few of my recipes and it's quite easy. Just measure all the food you put in. Decide how much a serving should be - one cup for example - then measure how many cups in total there are. Then MFP will tell you how many calories are in a serving.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You can use the recipes under food. It will figure out all of those things for you. As my husband cooks, he reads me the ingredients and I log in his recipes. It's a great tool. Try it.
    This is the way to do it. You get to save your recipes this way. It is awesome! One of my favorite features on MFP. I seriously would stay here for that alone!!!
  • clayandcolesmomma
    Options
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    As the above person said you can use the recipe feature. What i do is kind of excessive, but it's more accurate.

I build a recipe in my food journal, (yes you add each ingredient). Once it's all done i weigh it. Lets say it weighs 32oz. I mark it as 32 servings. Then when i log the recipe i log in 10oz or 5oz or how ever much you eat.
    I like this idea!! Very cool idea!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I just take a ballpark guess and match it with something close in the data base.
    :bigsmile:
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Yes I make most of my food from scratch. What you want to do is under food click on recipe then just input your recipe (with ingredients and serving size) and then you will have the meal saved. So if you make bread then under lunch you can click on recipes and "the bread" and voila~ there it is.

thats what i do.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I just take a ballpark guess and match it with something close in the data base.
    :bigsmile:
    This can be grossly inaccurate though, just sayin'.