eating what you want as long as its under your calories?

Options

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I'm mixed about it...

Yes, you will get results that way (I've always had results doing that). But because you're not changing your eating habits overall, it doesn't work in the long run.

More than that... and I'm going to harp a little here and possibly step on some toes, but I'm just saying... Dairy, is REALLY bad for you. Dairy is extremely high in fats and sugars, AND the "calcium" and "vitamin D" that are found in dairy are ADDED in there. Dairy is not a natural source of Vitamin D or Calcium.

If you want to see really awesome improvements, drop the dairy. Your weight will decrease, and your digestion and immune system will improve.

I recommend giving it a try.

If you have to have ice cream or milk shakes or smoothies, try homemaking it and substituting milk for almond milk. much healthier and homemade tastes soooo much better!!!

Ah yes another one of these. Yea, calcium doesn't occur naturally in milk and have you never heard of skim? Got any other good ones to sell?
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, but not everything I want every single day. The only thing I try to watch is sodium, but I'm not super strict about that either.
  • mghanie
    mghanie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the great replies! If I go over my fat, and sugar daily (not by a lot thought) over will I still lose? can you guys look at my diary and see if what I'm eating will help me lose weight or not? Thank you soo much this is all very helpful.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Protein, calories, fat, vitamins, fruits and veggies.
  • housenoob
    housenoob Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    sounds like a smart plan. but sometimes when you start eating sugar you eat even more. have self control and i think youll be fine
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I eat everything these days ... dairy, bread, pasta, legumes, toblerone, red wine, ice cream ... mmm toblerone ON ice cream ....

I've been down the low carb/keto/primal/paleo route, I lose just as well with more variety and make sure I get enough protein.

I try to eat fairly 'clean' most of the time but there are no restrictions for me, the fewer the rules the better right now.
  • Poetry_In_Pics
    Options
    I pretty much eat what I want as long as it's under my calorie goal for the day... Granted, I try to make healthier choices (for example, fat free coffee cream versus full fat) ~ but overall I eat what everyone else in my household is eating. So far it's working.. might have to make some changes down the road. :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I've cut out in the past year and a half: red meat, ALL dairy, and kicked my soda habit.

I'm glad what you're doing is working for you, but eating isn't a habit as much as both a necessity and a pleasure. and if I've got to eat, I might as well enjoy the things I'm eating. and if I took out all these things ... well, I don't have to even think about it, I guess, because it ain't gonna happen.

you're right, eating is a necessity, but the choices you make to eat are habit. if it wasn't, cutting junk out of your diet would be easy and everyone would be fit and thin.

I enjoy everything I eat. =/ you don't have to deprive yourself of good food just because you cut all junk out. there are lots of ways to take all of my guilty pleasures and turn them into healthy pleasures. Then I don't have to feel guilty.

but whatever. it's your body.

I prefer mine to be healthy and fit

Why and how are you assuming that his are not healthy and fit?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    just because you're losing weight doesn't mean you're getting healthy.
    Skinny =/= healthy...

I'm just saying.

First of all, the biggest cause of health issues is obesity, So adherence to calorie restriction is one of the most impactfull things you can do to improve them. Secondly, there is nothing inherently healthy or unhealthy about a single food group or food - dosage and context apply.
  • suckerlove
    Options
    I do and I have had amazing success
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate all the time.

I'm also not at my goal weight yet.

Go figure.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    My "cheat" days are the days I eat what I want but still stay under my goal. I know for me eating haelthy everyday is totally unresonable. Even with those "cheat" days the weight is still coming off, i believe, because i'm still under my goal (and it'snot every day).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Honestly Its not just about the calories their are so many things you have to look at while losing weight you might lose at first but you will stall out, And honestly It is harder to break down like bad foods Like eating healthy meats veggies Fruits diary and whole wheat stick to that and you will be fine, Like Honestly, Dont eat like all this bad stuff, because it wont last in the long run and you will feel like crap in the long run!
    You should totally read this study (warning: lots of, like, big words):

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

It like totally disproves what you said.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    <--Try to meet my minimum fats and proteins then fill the rest with whatever I feel like eating. I try to make it a balance of nutritious foods and some good stuff but dont kill myself over it.
  • Scandinavia
    Scandinavia Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    For the past two months or so, I've been trying this. Have a sweet/chocolate/ice cream every night, sometimes even two. In the past 2 weeks I've dropped 3.5lbs. So yes, it does work. Just don't go crazy with it!
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    I eat what I want and make sure I stay under my calories, sometimes that means I make better choices to stay under my calories but I don't make any foods completely off limits.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'd starve if I ate 3 - 400 calorie meals. I mean, one cup of Velveeta shells and cheese, vs 6 cups of romaine lettuce, 4-8 oz of grilled chicken, a ton of veggies, nuts, croutons and light dressing.... There is no comparison in how I'd feel as far as being satisfied and not hungry again in 10 minutes. Another example, one slice of pizza or grilled salmon and 2 cups of veggies and a sweet potato.
    I feel like I eat all day long and I rarely get hungry. If I had the mac n cheese and pizza, Id be starving.
    Every person is different so you'll have to figure out what works best for you. IMO, the best thing to do is to eat some of the stuff you crave every so often so you don't go crazy and binge once you do have it. Also eat within your means. Exercise more and you can eat more and still have a calorie deficit and lose weight!
    I agree - smart choices keep me from binging due to hunger or insulin spikes and drops . I get much more hungry when I eat processed carbs. Had half a roasted chicken breast with mushrooms, a salad with fat free feta and dressing, a medium potato with fat free sour cream, and steamed broccoli. It totally filled me up and kept me going. I also had two small peppermint patties for dessert, so you also have to have little treats too. You have to balance it all out and figure out what works best for you.
  • ajadumas
    ajadumas Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think there is a gray area here....

Yes, staying under your calories regardless of what exactly you eat, will help you lose weight. BUT I think there is alot to be said about the difference in volume of food you can eat when you eat healthy vs. junk food. For example, if you used those 300 calories you would've spent on ice cream, and instead had fresh fruit, light yogurt, sugar free pudding or jello, low fat chocolate milk, etc, you'd be so much fuller.

On the other hand, I think a huge factor in the success I've had so far is that for once, I'm not totally denying myself. If I want a cheeseburger, I have a cheeseburger, I just make up for it the rest of the day. If I want something sweet, I have a fun size candy bar. I think that helps me to not feel like I'm missing out on anything, so no reason to "cheat".

Anyway, there's my two cents :)
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    Hmmm I'm mixed about it...

Yes, you will get results that way (I've always had results doing that). But because you're not changing your eating habits overall, it doesn't work in the long run.

More than that... and I'm going to harp a little here and possibly step on some toes, but I'm just saying... Dairy, is REALLY bad for you. Dairy is extremely high in fats and sugars, AND the "calcium" and "vitamin D" that are found in dairy are ADDED in there. Dairy is not a natural source of Vitamin D or Calcium.

If you want to see really awesome improvements, drop the dairy. Your weight will decrease, and your digestion and immune system will improve.

I recommend giving it a try.

If you have to have ice cream or milk shakes or smoothies, try homemaking it and substituting milk for almond milk. much healthier and homemade tastes soooo much better!!!

With this mindset, you are going to be the Queen of Osteoporosis.

Moderation is key, but unless you are lactose intolerant, having some dairy in your diet is actually recommended. If you're concerned about fat in milk, drink skim milk.

Life without cheese isn't a life worth living in my book!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Dairy, is REALLY bad for you. Dairy is extremely high in fats and sugars, AND the "calcium" and "vitamin D" that are found in dairy are ADDED in there. Dairy is not a natural source of Vitamin D or Calcium.

Umm really? Then how the ****ens do mammals develop and grow when the only thing they ingest is dairy? OK so the sun helps us to make vitamin D but all the building blocks need to come from somewhere. Milk contains all the protein, carbs, fat, calcium and other micronutrients necessary to grow and is therefore a complete food. Same goes for eggs.