Heart Rate high?

Options
So, I do not have a heart rate monitor but when I'm working out i like to check with the heart rate paddles on the eliptical I use. The calories on this eliptical (i put my weight and age in) actually seem fairly acurate, because I checked it against other methods of calculating and other calculators and most of the others were actually a little bit higher than the eliptical value. But I do work out hard, like in a 30 min session I burn like 350 calories ish. So when I slow down a lot my heart rate drops quickly down to the 130's, and during my cool down into the 120's (i still work pretty hard in my cool down too and then cool down off the eliptical more) but it'll get up into 170's and on the little reader thing it says it's at peak. I'm in good shape and I work out most days for 30, 45 or 60 mins. Is this good, bad, normal, etc...

Replies

• JaseyMakesHerMove
    Options
    Assuming you are the age your profile says you are then you're working out at 85 percent of your max. If you're in good health that should be fine, though depending on your goals you should stay in the right zone.
    Here is a chart, because I am not good at explaining things, but charts are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exercise_zones.png

I'm 17, and probably a lot heavier than you. And tend to change intensity every few minutes so it will be around 145 at a low intensity and then it can shoot up to 170 when I'm going at a higher resistance.

So to summarize, normal. You'll be fine as long as you feel comfortable and aren't feeling like you're hurting your body.
  • Hooha2thebeach
    Options
    If you are worried it is best to check with your doctor. My doctor told me that is is more important that your heart rate is responsive rather than just staying the same so yours is probably ok. Best to seek medical advice if you are concerned though.