Water just isn't cutting it

Options
I know they say drink lots of water. If your hungry between meals get a glassful. But what if that does absolutely nothing for you but increase your bathroom trips. I have not had a full nights sleep since I started this. I am lucky if I get 5 glasses in I have never noticed it curbing my appetite. So what else could I try?

Replies

• kevcar0603
    kevcar0603 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like green tea, flavored with a little bit of sugar or honey. It boosts your metabolism and it curbs my hunger.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    You're having frequent bathroom trips because your body is flushing out the "old" water it was storing because it's getting fresh water and more of it. Once your body gets rid of the "old" water and you maintain the upped amount of water, your body will get used to it and the frequent bathroom trips will stop. May take a couple of days but it will. Word of caution though: if you don't maintain the increased amount of water then you'll have to start this process all over again when you do up your water again.

How many ounces of water do you drink a day? You mentioned 5 in your post below. You should be drinking at least half your body weight in ounces (for me that's 78 ounces or almost 10 8-ounces cups of water). If you're not drinking at least 64 then you're not getting enough water to begin with.
  • angiecobrien
    Options
    Try a glass of skim milk especially in the evening to get a "fuller" feeling.
  • profjan6
    profjan6 Posts: 333
    Options
    I have also been drinking green tea. Arizona decaf no sugar iced tea. It is pretty good and better than the blah water taste. Drinking that much water just makes me feel bloated. Somehow the tea is easier to get down.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am using a 12 ounce glass and drinking about 5 of them. Occasionally I will have a glass of ice tea also.
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    Also, get most of your water early on in the day, and limit fluid intake after 5.00pm - that should prevent so many night time trips to the bathroom.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I agree with another poster that said you will get used to it. I drink anywhere from 70-100 ounces of water per day (depending on exercise) and my body has become accustomed to it. For now, I would try to have a cut off time at night to stop drinking but I do think if you give it time it will work out.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I was just reading something from the Mayo clinic, I think it was, that everyone's need for water is different - 8 a day is the "standard" and it varies depending on your environment and what you're doing. Here it is:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Also, what I'm going to *try* to do is drink a glass (or two) every time I eat, the usual 2 that I already drink when I work out heavily (that's at least 5) and I'm not sure where I'll squeeze in the others yet...
  • cruisegirl
    cruisegirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How about flavoring your water with the sugar free Crystal Light mixes? You can just add it to your water. I do that and it helps a lot. I know some people say to just add a little lemon to your water, but I tried that and that just don't cut it!! HA!
    You could drink tea and use artifical sweetners, too. I don't like just water either. It's rare for me to just drink straight water.
  • neenaof4
    neenaof4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you are only getting 5 glasses in - it may not be helping your appetite. I used to feel that way to. But, now I get at least my 8 glasses of water in (usually more) a day and I am not as hungry between meals. Also - you could try the Crystal Lite lemonades to go -- 1 packet of powder to a 20 oz. bottle of water. I also have to eat 2-3 mini meals between breakfast, lunch, and dinner - so I take advantage of the 100 calorie packs. My favorite is the chocolate covered pretzels -- sweet and salty all in one place! good luck!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I am using a 12 ounce glass and drinking about 5 of them. Occasionally I will have a glass of ice tea also.
    That's 60 oz. of water so it's probably fine depending how much you work out and how much you sweat when you work out.

I find I have to drink 80-100 oz of fuilds on days I do intense exercise, but that's just me.

All fluid counts - it doesn't have to be straight water.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    You're having frequent bathroom trips because your body is flushing out the "old" water it was storing because it's getting fresh water and more of it. Once your body gets rid of the "old" water and you maintain the upped amount of water, your body will get used to it and the frequent bathroom trips will stop. May take a couple of days but it will. Word of caution though: if you don't maintain the increased amount of water then you'll have to start this process all over again when you do up your water again.

How many ounces of water do you drink a day? You mentioned 5 in your post below. You should be drinking at least half your body weight in ounces (for me that's 78 ounces or almost 10 8-ounces cups of water). If you're not drinking at least 64 then you're not getting enough water to begin with.

I always wondered why it happened like that.... thanks for explaining!!!
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    Options
    I put Special K2o protein water flavorings in some of my water. It adds five grams of fiber and five grams of protein and helps a lot when it comes to curbing your appitite. It comes in pink leomonade and strawberry kiwi flavors. It's not usually with the regular flavorings like crystal light. I look for it where they have the protein supliments and diet bars. I've seen it at Walmart and Rite Aid.