ladies, help! a question about weight loss and heavy flow

Options
Hi everyone- I'm kind of shy to ask this question, but whatever, its natural.

Usually my period is like clockwork- every month, 4-5 days, maybe two days of heavy flow. After losing 10lbs this month, it's dragging on to what I think is 7 days, with no end in sight. This is totally abnormal for my body and it's kind of freaking me out.

My diet has changed a lot this month and I'm drinking a lot of water every day, plus working out a normal amount. I'm 19 years old, 220 lbs, and I also started taking Zoloft again this month after having been off it for several months- I didn't slowly increase this time, I just started taking the 200mg pill every day. It's possible that's a contributing factor.

ANYWAY, is this longer period normal!? Will it sort itself out? Do I need to go to the doctor? Really scared guys, I don't want problems with my lady bits. Eep!

PS- I'm definitely not preggo. We ruled that out.

Replies

• amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have had changes too since I lost weight - longer, heavier, and not always at the right time.
  • childermass
    childermass Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've always had AWFUL periods and mild depression that seems to come and go (but mostly stays and hangs out a while).
    Things that have changed my period:
    1) exercise. when I am fit, my cramps are seriously curbed.
    2) hormones. If I am stressed or crazy, my periods are like a panzer tank doing track work in my abdomen...and up and down my legs...and across my lower back...and so on
    3) hydration. when I am properly hydrated my period is not as severe. When it is bad it it BAD for a few days and then ends, when it is not bad it lasts longer but not so heavy.
    4) MAGNESIUM *choir sings* this has had so many benefits, it has battled my depression for me big time, it has helped me lose weight AND it has made my periods regulate.
    It has worked for me - perhaps talk to your doc about it? Anything is worth a shot - so good luck with whatever you do :)
  • indy_cat
    Options
    You should at least call your doctor's office when there is a definite change in your body. They have the training to decide what is urgent and you don't. It will put your mind at ease also. Better safe than sorry.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Give it some time to stop, but if it keeps going, definitely see your doctor.

My period got really messed up from losing a lot of weight, dieting and exercising. First my period totally disappeared for about 4 months, then came back totally irregular and then I had my period for 2 months straight. Yep. Horrible.

I had to go on medication to get it to stop, and I've been on meds for a year now to keep it normal.

Unfortunately, losing weight can really mess up our hormones.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have been told that as we are losing weight and chaning our diets that our cycles will change but to give it time. My OB said what is happening is our body is trying to get used to the change and once it is used to what is going on it should go back to normal. I aksed cause mine was a lot longer than ususal this past month.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have had changes too since I lost weight - longer, heavier, and not always at the right time.

checking in with heavier and not the right time. The last few months it has come 3-4 days early, and I am back to passing clots :( For a few months TOM was lighter...
  • peckish_pomegranate
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm a lot less concerned now. I guess my body's just doing it's thing.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is on the leaflet with the list of side effects, but Google throws up quite a few results about one side effect of Zoloft being an irregular cycle.

I've been off the meds for over 3 years now, can't remember which one caused it, wasn't warned about the side effect because it wasn't common enough, but am trying to lose weight to determine if the wiping of the majority of 20 years worth of long term memory is permanent or not.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Did you receive/ read a patient information leaflet with the Zoloft? Speak to your family doctor or the dispensing pharmacist if not. Also review your diet to see if it contains a balance of all the nutrients your body needs for health, especially minerals like magnesium which you will be sweating out during your new exercise regime, and iron (preferably haem) since you have experienced a heavy flow. A lot of people cut out or down on food groups but don't bother replacing them with other foods supplying the same nutrients.