Disabilities, weight loss, and exercise

Options
Hi, I'm Jen, 33, and I have been fluctuating between 200-230 lbs. for the last 10 years, I'm 5'7". My goal is to reach 165 lbs by Christmas 2013. The biggest struggles I have right now are quitting soda and exercise. As for disabilities, I have degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis (hip), and osteoporosis. I can't lift more than 5lbs without stressing my back and walking more than 30 minutes forces me into a chair for 2 plus hours for heat therapy. I am walking despite this and I have a ball to exercise on when I can't get outside to walk. I would really like to find some friends with similar issues. However, I'm not picky. Since I started using this app on my iPad, I've lost 3 pounds!

Replies

• kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Can you afford gym membership...the POOL would be a great thing for you! They have water resistant turtle pools in some. You have to believe in yourself or you will never loose...it takes time and consistancy for sure!
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jen, 33, and I have been fluctuating between 200-230 lbs. for the last 10 years, I'm 5'7". My goal is to reach 165 lbs by Christmas 2013. The biggest struggles I have right now are quitting soda and exercise. As for disabilities, I have degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis (hip), and osteoporosis. I can't lift more than 5lbs without stressing my back and walking more than 30 minutes forces me into a chair for 2 plus hours for heat therapy. I am walking despite this and I have a ball to exercise on when I can't get outside to walk. I would really like to find some friends with similar issues. However, I'm not picky. Since I started using this app on my iPad, I've lost 3 pounds!
    You'll lose 20 just replacing soda with water(granted it's not diet)
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wow, let me take a moment to applaud you for your determination and strength despite things. You don't have to go fast, as long as you go! :)

I'm not sure if I'd be of any help to you but if you'd like feel free to add me and I'd love to send some support your way on regular basis!
    I am dealing with my own struggles right now even if they are in no way comparable to yours (digestive issues, sometimes severe abdominal pains, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, and at times extreme fatigue and dizziness which have all still remained unexplained) so I know in a way what it feels like to want to do/accomplish a lot, and yet your body sometimes inhibits you to do so.

Either way I'm wishing you the best on your journey! :)
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen...
    You can get past those issues. I started with core training, strength training and I am just now adding cardio. I have lost 60lbs. I deal with MS, Herniated disk in my lower back, arthritis in my left hip, and i am 14wks post op ( I totally rupture my right achilles tendon and had to have a donor tendon placed to repair it). I have only been walking for 7wks. I was still able to workout with the injury doing strength training from the waist up. I have had a roller coaster 10 months since I started my journey, I have found out that despite my circumstance or my issues I can over come and push through. I believe it's a matter of choice.
    Good Luck!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    The pool sounds like a wonderful option for you. Can you do a 30 minute walk 2-3 times a day? If you get consistent with your walking, maybe next month you can do 35 minute walks and so on. Losing weight will help all of your physical ailments. How about some yoga? It doesn't tend to burn a lot of calories but it could really benefit you.

As for the soda....it has to go. Calculate how many calories you are wasting on soda a day. Then figure out how many calories a week that is. Divide that number by 3500. Which would you rather have? The soda or the weight loss? Try replacing it with herbal teas (good especially if you live in a cold-weather area) or flavored water (Plain water would be best but I'm thinking that's not gonna appeal to you!) Mio flavorings are really good and you can use less and less of them as you adjust.

Push yourself as far as you can go without injury and do it every single day!!!! Try for multiple times a day! Keep your diet under control. Try a deficit of 10-20% to start. Don't go crazy and go super low calorie. Don't even go as low as 1500 calories per day if your body is used to 3000, for instance.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Wow, let me take a moment to applaud you for your determination and strength despite things. You don't have to go fast, as long as you go! :)

My mom has osteoarthritis and osteoporosis, and she uses a stationary bike for exercise. She's getting up there in age (70+) so yeah she cant do a lot of the stuff I would say is good but she does what she can and that's the important thing. Also, the pool sounds like a good idea.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! My brother-in-law has a similar back problem. His doctor/therapist/nutritionists all recommend working out in the pool to support his back and bicycling because it's easy on his knees and back. The pool is a gym thing but sometimes you can get a good deal or scholarship at a local school (even high school) or Y. We have public indoor pools in our area that are $10/month.
  • TheMsJen
    TheMsJen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the messages! I live a block from a rehab center that offers exercise membership but it doesn't have a pool. The closest pool in town is over a mile away, and I don't have access to a vehicle before 5pm, most days. So for now, the pool is out. As for soda, I'm actually down to 1-2 cans a day, from 6-8. I reintroduced water only 2 weeks ago, and I'm up to 4 (8oz. Glasses) a day. My terrible habits are changing but it takes time.
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen! Wow, I feel your pain, although obviously not literally. My mom has severe osteoarthritis (hip replacement that didn't help much, crooked spine with disk wear, problems in knees and shoulders) as well as possible rheumatoid arthritis. I have fibromyalgia - I've had it sixteen years, and I'm only 28 - and mild osteoarthritis in hands. We both have weight problems, at least in part due to not exercising enough.

The most important thing to keep in mind - at least what's most important to me - is that as you lose weight, you WILL feel better. Not totally better, maybe not even a lot better, but a bit. With any kind of condition where the joints and muscles are affected, carrying around extra weight puts on a whole lot more strain. The knowledge that my pains will ease as I lose weight (and even more as I tone muscle) is my greatest motivator, even when the exercise itself is painful.

That said, go slowly. Don't push yourself too far. It takes some experimentation (it took me years to find the balance between an amount and degree of exercise that improved things, and an amount that would send me to bed for a week - let's hope you learn faster than I do, lol) but you can find the right amount for you. If you've discovered that 30 minutes of walking is the point of no return, then try 20 or 25. And keep in mind that that point will not always be the same - as you get healthier you'll find you can do more. When you've been doing an exercise (eg walking) reasonably comfortably for a couple weeks, try increasing the time by five or ten minutes. If that causes a lot of problems, decrease it again.

Keep in mind that pain and harm are not the same thing. They often go together, but they're not necessarily the same. Harm is something that lasts a long time, pain is transient. Anyone who starts exercising after not doing anything for ages is going to find it painful, even if they're just walking slowly for ten minutes. Feeling the muscle burn for an hour or two doesn't mean that you've mucked up your body. Because of your conditions, you need to be careful about causing harm to yourself that will last for days or longer, but please don't let the initial temporary aches fool you into thinking that any exercise is going to damage your body. I see a lot of people (at disability organisations, or through my work) who are frightened to even walk to the mailbox or swim for a few minutes because they confuse the initial aches and pains with genuine damage to their bodies. They're not the same thing.

(This isn't aimed at you specifically. The fact that you're walking and coming on MFP is awesome, and shows that you probably don't need the above paragraph. It's more a general piece of advice / warning to anyone who needs it.)

Swimming is nice gentle exercise, if you have a community pool anywhere near you. If you don't, school pools often allow the public in before school or in the evenings. My mom says that for her hips and back, using a recumbent bike helps a lot - she says that the first five minutes are agony, and then suddenly everything seems to loosen up and feel better for a day or two. This may not help you, but it might be worth a try. With arthritis (and fibromyalgia) a lot of the challenge is getting past that initial stiffness.

Keep walking, and make sure you're using a good pair of walking / running shoes. I found walking horribly painful until I stopped doing it in flat shoes with no support. Now I wear Nikes (if I'm going to the gym or actually for a walk, not for all-day use) and it's totally changed my gait and improved the pain. If you don't have good shoes, go to a hiking store or sports store and get a trained fitter to help you. They don't have to cost a fortune, especially with the sales on.

If you like the bubbliness of soda, try juice mixed with sparkling water. I strongly suggest avoiding diet soda - and I know I may get slapped down for this; plenty of people swear by diet soda because of the lack of calories - because I don't trust artificial sweeteners. Studies have been done that say saccharin and aspartame are appetite stimulants. Other studies say there's no link. I didn't take part in any of these studies, and can't tell you which to trust - all I can say is that when I drink diet soda or use sweeteners in other products, I get food cravings, insomnia and general crabbiness. Stevia seems to be a good alternative to artificial sweeteners - you could even try putting a bit in sparkling water with a dash of lemon if you're wanting something sweet. Quitting a particular junk food (like soda) is tough. When you're observing the difference in how you feel before and after, don't judge it by the first few weeks - it takes a while for your body to acclimatise.

Good luck, keep moving, and don't get demoralised. Even a little bit of improvement in how you feel is still improvement.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Hi, I'm Debbie, I am 49, but 12 years ago I was in a wheelchair from a serious spinal cord injury/disease, so I do literally feel your pain. I also have severe arthritis in my knees, and in my neck, plus a few other body parts that have residual damage from a bad wreck years ago. I thought there was nothing I could do for exercise. I even had to be very careful in the pool, because I could overdo it without realizing it and end up in bed for several days. At 37 I thought my life as I knew it was over and this was my future.

Now, 12 yrs later, I am walking without my cane for short distances, and I am riding a recumbent 3 wheel bike for up to 5 miles at a time. I had gained up to my highest weight of 237 about 7yrs ago, and it fluctuated down and up 15-20 pounds until I joined MFP at the end of August at 228. I have lost 30 pounds since then, and getting the weight off has been the best thing. It has allowed me to be more active with less pain, and I am amazed at what my body can do now.

For me, I found that processed sugar and white carbs cause inflammation in my body. When I lower my sugar level, my pain level drops. Most people don't have a problem with sugar, but for many people with arthritis, and autoimmune disorders, they see a drastic improvement by cutting out as much sugar and white processed carbs as possible.

Your life isn't over. You have many more years ahead of you, and it is possible to enjoy those years in better health than you are now. I will send you a FR, and will help you any way I can. You can do this!
  • TheMsJen
    Options
    I really appreciate the advice. I don't care for diet sodas just on taste alone. I can't bare the taste of sachron and other artificial sweeteners. I can't stand that Truvia stuff either. My taste buds are particularly sensitive to sharp, bitter, and spice (like salsa). Because of this I can't eat a lot of foods that would actually be healthier for me like asparagus and other bitter veggies. Even sodas bother me, but I found the sugar in them makes them bareable and I only drink Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Congrats on ur decision. Its totally doable but not with soda. Eat clean, lots of water and walk and swim when u can.
  • TheMsJen
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story with me! I feel like sometimes its so hard to talk to people about my weight issues. Most people usually just say stuff like, "exercise or go for a walk, what's stopping you?" With MFP I feel like I can at least see the results of my eating habits and make appropriate changes. Plus the exercise section doesn't just suggest strict exercise routines and impossible (for me) cardio plans. I really think this will work!

Thank you again to anyone that posts, I'm taking all this information to heart and using what I can to help plan for the next week.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have a friend with osteoporosis, she's 75yrs old. Her Dr. and chiropractor told her weight bearing exercises would build bone mass, and that she should include them in her daily routine. She does Zumba 2x a week, walks 1mile 2x a week and lifts 5lb dumbells for core strenght building!

Start slow, consult your Dr. before trying any thing and be consistent! Good luck to you!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Can you afford gym membership...the POOL would be a great thing for you! They have water resistant turtle pools in some. You have to believe in yourself or you will never loose...it takes time and consistancy for sure!
    ^^^^^^
    THIS
    I love swimming, and as far as disability goes, don't let it keep you from your optimal best.
    Work around it.
    I live with a terrible condition....resulting from an injury and lost 90 lbs and am able to do things they said I'd never do again: play tennis, box...ect....
    Without all that extra weight, I found that I still have so much life left to live.
    All Is Possible!
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Degenerated disks, spinal torsion, mid-line shift, nerve damage, bursitis, re-built knee with pending total replacement, malfunctioning lungs, thoracic instability, chronic pain and an iron f*cking will. I can relate to the frustration of not being able to exercise and needing to get weight off. At some point you have to decide IF you really want it and accept that it will be tough. Things that other people can do may not be so easy. Find a doctor or physical therapist that actually LISTENS to your goals and whose character you respect enough to listen to/ be honest with. From military shape (I'm an active duty vet) to medically obese to on my way back to where I want to be- if you want to discuss some options that may work, please feel free to message me. I am happy to share some of the things that have been working for me. Maybe it will help.
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    Hi Jen, I'm 44 and have two ruptured discs in my spine ...L4/5 and L5/S1. The degeneration has gotten bad enough that it shows major narrowing of the disc space on a normal Xray and osteoarthritis setting in in my spine.

I can completely understand what you are dealing with. Losing weight has been a major pain relief for me, I was lucky enough to be able to afford a few personal training sessions when I joined the gym and they really helped me find exercises I could cope with. Aqua aerobics was one thing that helped me get over the worst of the "just starting to exercise again" pain.

Having to take medication really messes with your appetite but one thing I have learned is that you HAVE to eat!
    I found that when I eat regularly ( more like 6 snacks that full meals) I lost weight easier.

I still have days when eating anything is an effort and going to the gym seems just too hard but force myself and it's working so far.

We will never be pain free but I know my symptoms have lessened and I'm not relying on painkillers as much.

I joined a gym where I pay weekly, I have a membership so it is cheaper than casual rate but I am locked in to a years contract.
  • Suecurrie24
    Options
    Hi Hisjen,

Thank you for posting about this. You are definitely not alone. I am 45, have early osteoarthritis in my right hip and feel like I understand where you're coming from re exercise. It is so frustrating not to be able to do things you want to. I was getting into running when it was diagnosed, training for my first 5k, and my doctor said I should give that up. Took me quite awhile to get over the grumpy funk from that, as it felt so empowering to run.

If you are into walking, it can be a good way to get some activity in, provided you have decent shoes. I went to the Running Room to get fitted with something appropriate for me. I walk fairly slowly on the treadmill (3.0) and go as long as I can at a time. Some days the hip really "sings" and on others it doesn't. Finding a variety of walking routes helps too. My family loves hiking, and we try to do that on lots of weekends. I haven't tried swimming, but it sounds as though that would be a good idea too.

Hang in there.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritic hips and ACL and meniscus damage in both knees. I find that a recumbent bike is about the only thing I can do without much pain. Also, and I can't stress this enough - GET TO A POOL! Some hotels with pools allow residents of the same town to swim for a nominal fee during the week. YMCA's are cheap, as are local rec centres.

As well, there are tons of great work-out videos aimed at the handicapped on YouTube, some that you can even do whilst sitting in a chair.

Every little bit helps! Good luck! xo
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen, I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and a whole load of associated conditions. Well done on getting started. There are quite a range of people on here with differing levels of disability. Losing the weight will definitely be beneficial as you will be taking the strain off. Sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things already and a lot of good advice in this thread :) Good luck with the weightloss and getting fit.