I feel like i can never lose weight

Options
I feel like its impossible to lose weight!!!!!!! :(
Does drinking green tea really help in losing weight?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well, nothing is a magic potion! Green tea (not the bottled sweetened kind) certainly contains anti-oxidants which are good for you, and some people find it helps curb hunger pangs. But it's not essential and many people have had success without it.

You don't have many details about yourself - age, current weight, what previous diets or regimes have you tried? Why do you feel it's impossible? One look at the success stories section of this forum should prove that it's very possible!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    As boring as it sounds, the thing that really works is consuming less energy than you expend during your day. Healthy diet and exercise can help you do that. Anything that sounds too good to be true probably is. Weight loss is hard, and takes time, but it is definitely possible.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    No, but eating at a reasonable calorie deficit does.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I would say eating in moderation and moving more helps. Green tea is a bonus.
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    There's a whole lot more to it than just drinking green tea. You can drink all the green tea in the world, but if you're pounding back Big Macs, then you're not going to see a difference.
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This may seem a bit harsh ... but feelings are irrelevant. The question is, "what is true?" Is it true that you can never lose weight? Even if you actually are eating less calories than you use by exercise and bodily functions (BMR)? There could be a medical reason and then I would say go get checked out by a doctor.

Otherwise, if it is just a generic "I feel I can't lose weight" because you haven't really tried ... I'd say eat above your brm and below your tdee ... that way you don't feel like you are starving and can stay with it. The loss isn't as fast, but is a whole lot easier than any fad diet. It just takes paying attention and work.

BTW, I have felt the same thing at times. I was wrong.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Green tea has no magic properties. Eating less and doing more does. There's no such thing as can't lose weight unless you are already at your ideal weight. There's not trying, there's giving up, there's an unwillingness to make the changes, there's laziness, but there isn't any real barrier that isn't in your head.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

No...there is no magic potion or pill. Pretty much anyone I know who's had success and had success long term did not go on a "diet"...they made a significant lifestyle change. That gets over-used, but it's true. I've never had the kind of success that I'm currently having until I changed the way I thought about diet....i.e. as a noun rather than a verb.

Just start off eating at a reasonable caloric deficit and introduce/re-introduce yourself to some exercise. From there, you can actually start looking at your eating habits and the kinds of foods you are eating...your overall general nutrition. IMHO, proper nutrition is the key to long term success, not fad diets.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Green tea IS a magic potion - if - like me you can't drink white tea and coffee without eating cookies with the drink! Switching to green tea and other herbal teas somehow don't "go" with sweet snacks like they do with ordinary tea and coffee.

Just a different angle on it.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    no
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

The only magical 'potions' out there for weight loss are amphetamines. So, unless you plan on doing something illegal, ending up with 'trailer mouth', or have a legitimate health problem that would warrant a doctor prescribing these for you, you just need to eat less and move more.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Green tea is by no means a magic pill but it helps me refocus. If I take the time to make and drink green tea my cravings are usually gone by the time I finish. Not to mention, the caffeine boost is always helpful!
  • taxidrivergd
    taxidrivergd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think the real key to weight loss (and keeping it off) is find out the reason you ate so much in the first place. People eat for many reasons and eating healthy and exercise is important but usually there is an underlying cause like self esteem, boredom, stress ect. Fix that underling cause, believe in your self and then you will want to do all the other stuff that will make you thinner and healthier. Take those first steps and even though you might hate every minute of it keep going. It doesn't matter if you fall what matters is if you get up.
    Just what ever you do do quit trying ever! Y:happy: u can do it!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Drinking green tea can help you feel full. (drinking water can do the same thing) Green tea also has a bit of caffeine which can act as an appetite suppresant. There have been some studies that sugges that consuming a LOT of greentea... like more than you could drink, and would have to take in standardized supplement form... can increase calories burned from exercise. Something like an extra 150 calories per one hour sesssion. Definitely not a magic pill, but every little bit helps.

I like green tea because the more green tea I drink, the less of the bad things I have room for.

If you REALLY feel like you are struggling more than the average person, a trip to an endocrinologist might not be a bad idea. A lot of people poo poo the idea of thyroid or hormonal reasons for resistance to weight loss.. but as someone who is hypothyroid, I assure you it's real.
  • EveryoneKnows
    Options
    It may feel like this to begin with, but as soon as a little bit of weight comes off you will start to feel more positive and like you can do it; hopefully that positive thinking cycle should continue as you lose more weight!

Just keep within your daily calorie range, and try to introduce some exercise.

The best advice I ever got was "you are what you do every day" - if you consistently do the same thing, every day, eventually you can change your habits to healthy ones. Introduce new healthy habits slowly, such as one week a daily walk, and then the next week eating a protein rich breakfast every day, and the week after that making sure you hit 5 a day fruit and veg every day etc etc.

Patience and persistence! Good luck
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Drinking green tea can help you feel full. (drinking water can do the same thing) Green tea also has a bit of caffeine which can act as an appetite suppresant. There have been some studies that sugges that consuming a LOT of greentea... like more than you could drink, and would have to take in standardized supplement form... can increase calories burned from exercise. Something like an extra 150 calories per one hour sesssion. Definitely not a magic pill, but every little bit helps.

I like green tea because the more green tea I drink, the less of the bad things I have room for.

If you REALLY feel like you are struggling more than the average person, a trip to an endocrinologist might not be a bad idea. A lot of people poo poo the idea of thyroid or hormonal reasons for resistance to weight loss.. but as someone who is hypothyroid, I assure you it's real.

We KNOW it's real. We also KNOW it's not so common that every person with a fork to mouth issue has it. That's why people jump all over it when people bring it up. It's not that we don't believe it exists, it's that we know better than to suggest that every person who says 'losing weight is hard' has that problem. It's become every fat person's favorite 'maybe I have' of an excuse, yet only a very small portion of the population has it.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

We KNOW it's real. We also KNOW it's not so common that every person with a fork to mouth issue has it. That's why people jump all over it when people bring it up. It's not that we don't believe it exists, it's that we know better than to suggest that every person who says 'losing weight is hard' has that problem. It's become every fat person's favorite 'maybe I have' of an excuse, yet only a very small portion of the population has it.

But it is not a bad idea to be checked by an endocrinologist. Hypoactive thyroid and other metabolic conditions affect a lot more than just your weight and can be very serious to your overall health. I'm not saying that this is her problem, but I went undiagnosed for YEARS by my PCP because he didn't feel an enlarged thyroid and he felt that every fat person was crying metabolic issues and it wasn't worth his time or effort to do any further testing. It wasn't until my gynocologist caught something unusual on some blood work that she ran, that I was referred to the endocrinologist, who ran a bunch of tests and looked at me and said "You must feel like *kitten*, don't you?" I'm not saying that the OP DOES have metabolic issues, but if she really has been sincere in her efforts and been logging honestly and the calories in/calories out numbers aren't adding up, then a trip to the endocrinolist is not a bad idea if only just to rule out thyroid or other metabolic/hormonal issues.
  • ep922nj
    ep922nj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The one thing that I'm focusing on right now is "I will not eat unless I am calm and relaxed." Every time I go to eat, I ask myself if I'm calm and relaxed. If I'm not, I tell myself that I'll come back to whatever I wanted when I am. It is amazing to me how many times in the past few days I have checked myself. I realize that even a confrontational facebook post (which has nothing to do with me) could send my hand into the goodie drawer without even realizing it.
  • bubblesss123
    Options
    The thing is i feel weak all the time and the dr has told me to take vitamins and also to eat regulary as in every 3 4 hours as my blood pressure goes down... I try and eat only fruit between meals and i have a treadmill which i use everyday from between 15 mins to 1 hr... Weight is the same :(
    I need to lose 10 kg to get to my normal weight for my height
  • KaydaRN
    KaydaRN Posts: 48
    Options
    The thing is i feel weak all the time and the dr has told me to take vitamins and also to eat regulary as in every 3 4 hours as my blood pressure goes down... I try and eat only fruit between meals and i have a treadmill which i use everyday from between 15 mins to 1 hr... Weight is the same :(
    I need to lose 10 kg to get to my normal weight for my height

Fruit should be consumed in the mornings unless you workout later in the day. Fruit is full of sugars which you may want to limit... Maybe try raw veggies. As for the tread mill, what do you do while on it? Walk, HIIT, jog, or run?