Desperately Need Advice!!! Ugh!

Options
2»

Replies

• Lizzy9
    Lizzy9 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do know that. Which is what I was trying to explain earlier in my post. Bare with me, I'm learning.
    The body does not create it's own excess calories when in "starvation mode." Those 90 extra pounds came from somewhere, typically through the mouth.
    you do realize that when your body is in starvation mode, it takes all the calories it doesn't use for daily functioning and stores them as FAT right?
  • Lizzy9
    Options
    I have been studying this for a month now. I agree 100% and am beginning to understand. In fact, my best friend was shocked that I wanted to lose 80 pounds. I don't look 80 pounds over weight. But, that's what the scale reads. I personally want to lose inches/sizes and tone up while doing so. THAT is my focus. Now I'm told I'm working out too much. I am focusing on nutrition. That is #1. I just need a plan of action for working out. Most def cardio. Should I cardio daily? As for toning, I'm worried if I don't tone while working out, I'll end up with FLAB. Thank you very much for your patience and help.
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You're fooling yourself if you think you gained that much weight by not eating. It just can't happen. The whole starvation mode is a myth unless you are truly down to the place where there is nothing left for you body to do but start eating itself. Just because you eat irregularly doesn't mean those calories don't count.

Where did you hear that is a myth? Because that what I always tell people, I don't believe it.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    According to My Fitness Pal yes. I plug in my workout for the day and the calories burned come to approximately 1200. That's sick. Now, the machines are different at the gym, the machines read about 350...max.
    If I read this correctly, you're eating ~1200 calories, and exercising off ~1200 calories?

Short answer: eat more or exercise less.

1) The machines at the gym generally WAY overestimate your caloric burn, so if they say you're burning 350, you're lucky to be burning 80-90% of that. I suspect you're making a major error when you put it into MFP.
    2) As others have pointed out, you didn't get to be 65 pounds overweight by not eating, that's just not physically possible. Its a moot point now, but it is true. You were almost certainly eating more than you were aware of, it's easy to do.
    3) It is not difficult to eat properly on a vegetarian or even vegan diet. If you are having issues with that, I'd recommend joining one of the vegetarian or vegan groups on here, you will get support and ideas of what a healthy diet looks like for a veg*n.
    4) Rather than pulling a number (e.g. 1200) out of thin air, I'd recommend using what MFP tells you you should be eating. The MFP recommendation is not the word of god or anything, and as you learn more, you may want to adjust it, but if you're just starting out, it's probably a reasonable estimate.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have been studying this for a month now. I agree 100% and am beginning to understand. In fact, my best friend was shocked that I wanted to lose 80 pounds. I don't look 80 pounds over weight. But, that's what the scale reads. I personally want to lose inches/sizes and tone up while doing so. THAT is my focus. Now I'm told I'm working out too much. I am focusing on nutrition. That is #1. I just need a plan of action for working out. Most def cardio. Should I cardio daily? As for toning, I'm worried if I don't tone while working out, I'll end up with FLAB. Thank you very much for your patience and help.

If your goal is to cut fat, you want more weight training and less cardio. Do 3 days of weight training and lift heavy... no more than 10 reps. In fact look into a program like strong lift 5x5. Do 2 days of cardio (zumba, spin, running) and 1 day of flexibility training.

Lifting provides greater fat loss than steady state cardio.
  • Infauna
    Options
    You're fooling yourself if you think you gained that much weight by not eating. It just can't happen.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

you need to start lifting to cut bf%
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I agree, this is the way to go. Also, I would inout the calories burned numbers from yoru workout and not use MFP's standard numbers. My friend and I walk together with a GPS app - she weighs a lot more more than me and in one mile she might burn over 300 calories, but I only burn about 90.
  • Lizzy9
    Options
    I so agree! Thank you.

I agree, this is the way to go. Also, I would inout the calories burned numbers from yoru workout and not use MFP's standard numbers. My friend and I walk together with a GPS app - she weighs a lot more more than me and in one mile she might burn over 300 calories, but I only burn about 90.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You're fooling yourself if you think you gained that much weight by not eating. It just can't happen. The whole starvation mode is a myth unless you are truly down to the place where there is nothing left for you body to do but start eating itself. Just because you eat irregularly doesn't mean those calories don't count.

Where did you hear that is a myth? Because that what I always tell people, I don't believe it.

First you have to define "starvation mode". I've heard people throw the term around but everyone seems to be defining it differently.