Good sources of fiber?

Options
Hey everyone! I'm currently eating a very low carbohydrate diet (5% carbs, 50% fat, 45% protein) and was curious to know how anyone on a similar plan gets their fiber. Because my carb intake is around 30-40g per day tops my fiber intake is very low according to the "see all nutrients" table on the iPhone app.

Does anybody know of any sources of adequate fiber, with preferably as few carbs as possible?

Replies

• PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    BUUUMPPPPP

How has nobody replied?! jeez
  • childermass
    childermass Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    metamucil?
    It has the added benefit of keeping you pretty full and it breaks down at:
    "serving Size: 1 tsp (5.8g), Calories: 15, Fat: 0g, Carbs: 5g, Protein: 0g"
    But remember to keep up the water or the opposite can come in to effect!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, nuts.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    That's why all the low carb, low fat, whatever "diets" don't work. It's not sustainable. Just eat a normal balanced diet within your calorie budget.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    You should be getting all of your carbs from vegetables and fruits since your carbs are so low (which would give you plenty of fiber) but you might consider bumping up your carbs just a bit too. With your protein so high there's no way you're in ketosis anyway.

Broccoli. green beans, cabbage, zucchini, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, garlic, onions and berries are good, natural sources of fiber that will work with a low carb diet.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    change your diet and add in vegetables and beans
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    avocado
  • ducoteycd
    ducoteycd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    That's why all the low carb, low fat, whatever "diets" don't work. It's not sustainable. Just eat a normal balanced diet within your calorie budget.

Except that it does work and it works great. Add me and follow my log if you would like to see
  • ducoteycd
    ducoteycd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll take everything into account!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    if you're going by your "view all" summary for the day just do a quick scan of your food items via the website with fiber as a column.... does something you're eating "have fiber" but fail to account for it in the nutrition facts? Much of the database is user contributed (on the web it's any item that is marked with a *, the ones without are either from MFP or are items you've added personally) and sometimes users leave out the stuff they don't track themselves.

See a tuna entry... 70 calories, 0 protein... really? the protein is what I'm after when I'm having tuna...
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Except that it does work and it works great. Add me and follow my log if you would like to see

If you're not getting enough fiber I question how "healthy" it is, hell, you can starve yourself and lose weight, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been a bit bunged up since increasing my protein percentage. I have started mixing Benefiber in with my protein shake/multivitamin
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    I eat this cereal with low fat natural yoghurt for breakfast.
    The cereal is roughly 30% fibre by weight. Best cereal for fibre that I've found, and I like the taste.

http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/kelloggs-all-bran-original-cereal.html
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husks is the best know fiber. And it's dirt cheap at health food stores if you buy it by the bulk instead of pre-packaged in jars and bottles. All you need is one tablespoon mixed into your juice or shakes or whatever you drink and you will notice the difference when you go to the bathroom. It helps get rid of diarrhea and also helps get rid of constipation.