question about onions

Options
I am trying to eat very low carbs and when I was tracking on the onion it said it has 16 of them. it seems pretty high. my question is I am only eating 1tsp of onions how would I log that. it is actually in the chili. I am not eating a cup or even a half of one.

Replies

• Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I would never worry about onions.
    Onions are so healthy, just dice them, eat them and forget them.
    Nobody is getting fat eating onions...:flowerforyou:
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    One tsp of onions isn't even worth logging. That's the least of your problems (especially if you are worried about carbs and you're eating chili). Low-carb is not the way to go if you want a sustainable regimen to help you lose 60 lbs and keep it off.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If you are eating that little of it, I wouldn't worry about logging it. I add dried onion flakes to many of my food dishes and I don't worry about it. Unless you are going super low carb, shooting for Keto, it won't make a difference.

ETA- and low-carb has helped MANY people on here lose 60 pounds or even more and keep it off long-term. May not be right for everyone, but it works for many of us.

And chili is perfectly fine if it is low carb. I make turkey chili without beans, and add fat free or regular cheese on top and it is awesome! As long as you stay within your cals and macros, you can fit many things into your plan.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I could easily get fat eating onions -have had to ration them as there is a good few calories in there.

However, according to myfitnesspal there is 1g of carbs in a tbsp of onions.
    So there should be, from that approximately .33g of carbs in a tsp.

At those levels, I really would 't worry!
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    1 tbsp chopped (10.0 g) 4 calories mostly from the 0.9g carb content
    http://calorielab.com/foods/onions/156

It might be good to invest in a small weighing scale, which would be accurate to measure out smaller quantities.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really worry too much about onions unless you're walking around eating them like apples.
  • amygard88
    amygard88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't worry about onions, especially in minute amounts such as a teaspoon. They have enough fiber to counter-balance any excess sugar content. However, to be supportive of your diet a good rule of thumb is that 1tsp = 5g. So if a whole medium sized onion (tennis ball sized) weighs about 90-100 grams. So if 1 onion contains about 20 tsp, 1 tsp whould contain less than 1g carbs.