Tired of being tired.

Options
Hi. I'm Mike P.

For 2 years, I've used food to manage a stressful new job.

The predictable result: I gained 27 pounds and got depressed. Enough.

I am going to fix this, and that does not mean buying bigger pants (again)!

With myfitnesspal, I've lost 4 pounds the first week and almost an inch off my waist. Yes!

- Mike P

Replies

• TheKidd2013
    TheKidd2013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Congrats !
  • SpanksNotSpanx
    SpanksNotSpanx Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss so far!!!! And ddeeefffinitely keep up the good work! I have similar problems with food - I eat emotionally and stress is NO EXCEPTION! I realized as my little one started to run that .. Even though I'm only down (about 15lb) that I already have a resurgence of energy! We can do this!
    Feel free to add me!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Well done! Have you ever heard of Dave Ramsey? He is a financial expert who helps people get out of debt. One of his mantra's is "I was sick and tired of being sick and tired". Reminded me of your thoughts. Although it was a different beast (debt reduction), his principles can be applied to weight reduction as well. I think that is part of why I am doing so well with my health journey. It's all about living within your means. In health, that means knowing your calorie and exercise goals and being disciplined enough to make it happen! Keep it up!
  • shorthand73
    shorthand73 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well done! Have you ever heard of Dave Ramsey? He is a financial expert who helps people get out of debt. One of his mantra's is "I was sick and tired of being sick and tired". Reminded me of your thoughts. Although it was a different beast (debt reduction), his principles can be applied to weight reduction as well. I think that is part of why I am doing so well with my health journey. It's all about living within your means. In health, that means knowing your calorie and exercise goals and being disciplined enough to make it happen! Keep it up!

I'm a big fan of Dave Ramsey. I've never thought about applying his principles to health/weight loss, but I can definitely see how that would work! Thanks for the insight! :)
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Well done! Keep rockin' it! =^_^=
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Mike P.

For 2 years, I've used food to manage a stressful new job.

The predictable result: I gained 27 pounds and got depressed. Enough.

I am going to fix this, and that does not mean buying bigger pants (again)!

With myfitnesspal, I've lost 4 pounds the first week and almost an inch off my waist. Yes!

- Mike P

I fell into the same issues and found myself softening my work stress with food. A slow and steady effort has allowed me to be very successful here. Be patient with yourself ad focus every day on making positive progress. Controlling your food intake and increasing your activity level works. Ironically, my better diet and weight loss has helped my cope better with the stress. I now realize food hid me from the stress but in many ways made the stress more damaging by amplifying it. I wish you the best success.
  • mike5802
    mike5802 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I realized this morning that for 2 years I've been saying that a stressful job caused me to gain weight.

That's not the truth. I gained that weight - not a job or anything else. The cool thing is: if I gained that weight, I can damn well lose it, too. Of course, having a plan helps. MFP (charting my goal and getting support) is my plan!

I am the captain of my ship, the master of my destiny....well, don't get too crazy here, Mike.

Thanks for your support..

- Mike
  • CA1954
    Options
    Food is how I find comfort, and you are so right...we are in control of our destiny! Thanks for the reminder! Today is my first day making an effort to regain my motivation...so far so good.