Flax seed?? What???

Options
So...not sure if you all have this restaurant near you...but I live right next door to sweet tomatoes...and let's say I'm in love with this place. The other day my husband and I are in line to pay for our food and I see these packages next to the register called flax seed. Now excuse me if I'm completely out of the loop here...or I've been living under ground and not doing my research...but what is it and what exactly does it do??? Are a lot of the MFPer's using this stuff and I'm missing out? Or is this stuff like the new thing that people are doing to only be replaced with the next new"best" thing?

Replies

• nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My grandmother gave me a bag of flaxseed for christmas!! I'm not too sure about what to do with it either..

I think flaxseed has a lot of fibre..?? anyone?
  • grace1611
    Options
    You grind them up . They are the same or better than fish oil.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    i grind them up, soak them in cold water, and use them as an egg replacement in baking.
  • larosevear
    Options
    I know it can be found on bread/crackers. But never would of thought to buy a package of it and sprinkle it on my salad. I just thought it was strange.
  • grace1611
    Options
    They are full of fibre. I used to have 2 teaspoons 3 time daily. I was fighting breast cancer at the time .
  • miasapearl
    miasapearl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Make sure you ground them before use or else your body won't be able to absorb it. It's a good source of Omega 3 and fiber. I add a tablespoon or so to my oatmeal or smoothie. You can also add it to baked goods to add some extra hidden fiber, or use it to substitute eggs by mixing it with water beforehand. I personally like chia seed better than flaxseed since I can taste the flaxseed but not chia seed.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle on salad. or soup. or yoghurt. Or mix with eggs and/or banana for a pancake batter.
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    They are similar to chia seeds with a lot of their benefits.

This. Also, as a couple of others have said, they do need to be ground for full benefit, as whole seeds can pass through your system undigested.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/flaxseed/AN01258
  • larosevear
    Options
    Ok this explains why the group of older men who were in front of us all had them on their trays. I just thought this was the new thing to do...like the obsession with acai supplements/juice etc.
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed = linseed.

You need to grind the seeds to get the full benefit, and store in the fridge once ground as they go off. I use them for fibre and in baking (as I don't use flour).

They are often combined with ground almonds and ground sunflower seeds to make a more palatable baking mix called LSA (Linseed, Sunflower, Almond). Linseed by itself is very strong and a bit oily tasting.

Examples of recipes:

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=384:lsa-focaccia&catid=42:baking&Itemid=56
    http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=381:lsa-crepes&catid=42:baking&Itemid=56
  • CoronerKris
    CoronerKris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i always toss some into my protein shake and i add them when i bake bread or cookies.
  • Sugar7324
    Options
    I also add them to my smoothies
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I use them to supplement my daily fiber. I recently tried them in a recipe for crackers and really liked it. It consists of ground flax seed meal, parmesan cheese, water and garlic salt. You just mix it together, press it flat and bake in the oven. I eat them with a meal like salad or with fat free cream cheese for a snack. The fiber is good for curbing your appetite, and of course, keeping you 'regular'. Plus they contain omega 3, which can't hurt.
  • larosevear
    Options
    Awesome! So where in the store do you find this??? I've only seen them at this restaurant.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've found a few different brands at the grocery store in the baking section. It's usually by the flour and Bisquick. That's where I've seen it anyway. :-)
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I add them to my oats every morning...I get mine at my local grocery store--so they shouldn't be too hard to fine. Publix should carry them, and definitely Trader Joes