Trying to get healthy again

Options
I have been here before. The woman I work with decides to kind of do a biggest loser competition which is starting after the new year and I am pretty excited about it. We broke into two teams for support and really trying to be healthier. The exercise thing is where I am pretty much stuck. I really would like to stick to something I can do at home rather than spend money on a gym so If anyone has any good ideas let me know. I also quit smoking three months ago and really want to get this extra weight off and find something else to do besides eating.

Jeanne

Replies

• Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    check youtube, I hear there are plenty of excercise videos on there :) Good luck!
  • Sharlaew
    Sharlaew Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! I would love to have a group to loose weight with for motivation and support. I wish you all the best. I walk on a treadmill at home. For Christmas, I received a Recumbent cycle. I hope it helps me get the last 15 lbs off.

Good luck!
  • joiyp
    joiyp Posts: 18
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking and committing to lose weight! I just had to cancel my gym membership b/c it's too far away for me to commit to going regularly and I haven't really been using it. So I'm in the same boat, having to do things at home. If you have any stairs in your home, they are an awesome tool for exercising. Set an amount of time and try to go up and down the stairs as much as you can in that time. There's also squats, lunges, crunches, push ups (I have to do them on my knees b/c I don't have the strength to lift my whole body). You can google "free at-home exercises" and it will give you a bunch of links. Soup cans make for good weights if you don't want to go out and buy actual weights.

Good luck!!! And let us know how the competition goes!

~Hanna
  • karadactyl97
    Options
    Do you have stairs in your home? Going up them quickly is a good workout! Also, there are stationary bikes for ~$100-200 on Amazon that could help if you like biking. In the spring/summer/fall you could bike outside too! Or, if you want to spend no money at all, do bodyweight exercises. Crunches, pushups, jumping jacks, etc are all good for burning calories. I assume if you're on MFP that you know the most important part of losing weight is diet and that you can lose weight without exercising if you wanted to. However, you'll also lose muscle too, so if you wanted to invest in free weights and do the Starting Strength program, I would highly recommend it. Many people say they have had very good results and I am about to start it myself. Good luck!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    check youtube, I hear there are plenty of excercise videos on there :) Good luck!

Yes! YouTube has tons of videos, even many you've read about on here. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is there. And it is tough!! C25K may be there (Couch to 5K). Or just browse till you find one you like.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Can always go back to the old-school elementary P.E. exercises --- run around outside, jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups..and add in squats, lunges, calf raises...jumping exercises, 6-inch killers, invisible chair.

You can always purchase some dumbbells for your home (or use gallon jugs, can fill however far with liquid or sand and lift those), resistance bands are good too, workout videos, an exercise ball, weighted balls, kettle bells....tons of things you can do at home.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs in your home? Going up them quickly is a good workout! Also, there are stationary bikes for ~$100-200 on Amazon that could help if you like biking. In the spring/summer/fall you could bike outside too! Or, if you want to spend no money at all, do bodyweight exercises. Crunches, pushups, jumping jacks, etc are all good for burning calories. I assume if you're on MFP that you know the most important part of losing weight is diet and that you can lose weight without exercising if you wanted to. However, you'll also lose muscle too, so if you wanted to invest in free weights and do the Starting Strength program, I would highly recommend it. Many people say they have had very good results and I am about to start it myself. Good luck!

And THIS,
  • hafdis
    hafdis Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD - I really liked it It was like 10 dollars at walmart and all you really need is a couple of weights and thats it..
  • hreu213
    Options
    You can find things online, this one is great (hard work, but you can do it at your own pace!)

FITNESS AT HOME: (do in order)
    30 Jumping Jacks
    5 push ups
    25 high knees
    7 burpees
    10 crunches
    7 squats
    5 push ups
    10 crunches
    5 push ups
    7 squats
    30 jumping jacks
    1 minutes wall sit
    5 push ups
    25 high knees

Repeats 3 - 5 times

I also found the Zumba dvds great - they're fun and you can burn over 400 call in 40mins... plus I can actually move to music now!

Tapout MMA videos. AMAZING! Absolutely love them, they're mixed martial arts videos - about 40mins each, there's heaps of different ones - cardio, Muay thai, legs, arms, core, combat, etc - they are very very hard - I'm already puffed and sweaty in the warm ups but if I get tired and need a break I just pause it! :) I can also throw a pretty decent punch now!
  • Jeanne1974
    Options
    thanks for all your ideas. I do have stairs and I have been trying to get out and walk even though we got about a foot of snow on the ground. I do work on my feet and walk alot at work because I work at a hospital.