newbie needs advice

Options
Hi my name is Maryanne I just signed up I am 35. I am 5 foot 4 and weight about 405 pounds ..what's a good calorie to lose major weight. my weight is so bad I walk with a cane.

Replies

• joiyp
    joiyp Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi Maryanne,

I'm no expert, so I can't really give you professional advice. I've been told that a good dieting calorie intake is about 1200 calories per day. I would definitely ask your Primary Doctor what the best way is for you to lose your weight. If you've been mostly sedentary for a long time, plus with having to use a cane, I would bet that you definitely need to start out slowly with any exercise. Best wishes and good luck on your weight loss journey!!
  • hafdis
    hafdis Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    there so many tools online now to help you!! but best is to talk to the professionals.
    I plugged in you information in one of the calculators and this is what it come up with

CALORIES/DAY
    Fat Loss 2420

CALORIES/DAY
    Extreme Fat Loss 1815

but as I said its best to talk with your doctor about it
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think you should talk to a doctor, but it may help to take it slowly (2 pounds per week). I would also suggest water aerobics. I teach water aerobics and have found that it can really be helpful if you have a lot of weight to lose, have any body aches/pains and/or are pregnant. The water really takes the pressure of your joints. The YMCA usually has morning and evening classes. When I started working out after a car accident, I started with water aerobics because everything else hurt too much.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I agree with hafdis --- you would lose weight pretty quick eating 1800-2000 calories per day.. No need to starve on 1200 but yes ask your doctor or eve better a dietician ... Good luck xo