IN NEED OF SERIOUS HELP!!

Options
So today started off great, I got on the scale and I was down 3 pounds; I am at a total of 22 pounds with a goal of 45 pounds to lose all together. So I was in a great mood all day thinking, WOW I am down 22 pounds with another 22 pounds to lose I am doing great. THEN I went to the store to big new bras, I went into the dressing room to try on a selection of new styles and sizes and I looked in the mirror of the dressing room and though HOLY CRAP - I am still really, really fat, I wanted to run home and die.

Anyone else have this ever happen to them?

Replies

• hmwth
    hmwth Posts: 25
    Options
    I hate bra shopping. It is worse than bathing suit shopping. It took me months to find one that was somwhat OK, it is not great, but it will have to do. I bought three as they were on sale and I was tired of looking. Good luck
  • saram21
    saram21 Posts: 88
    Options
    Yes! I went to buy clothes after losing 20lbs because nothing I owned fit. Well I couldn't find anything at the store that I liked, or at least fit. While in the dressing room I felt the same way you did. We just have to not let it get us down. We have to use it as inspiration to keep moving foward.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I once started bawling like a 2 year old because nothing fit me in a clothing store. Everyone has days when they feel fat. Other days, you'll feel gorgeous.
  • jenne1951
    Options
    All the time and I'm not really fat or out of shape I think it's just the way we see ourselves - not how others see us. Just know that you are making progress and let it go, Do your best and forget the rest. Push play everyday and you will see a new and more confident woman soon.What kind of work outs are you doing? I'm doing P90X and some other Beachbody workouts.
  • kristenMcP
    kristenMcP Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Woah, woah, woah...first off....congratulations on the weight loss. That's fantastic! Second, we all have issues with our bodies. Nobody is perfect and no one will ever be. You need to be proud of what you've done so far and continue to look forward to the work you're going to do. Everyone has those moments and they're brought on by a lot of things; weather, work, stress, not working out. So don't let one look in the mirror ruin you're whole day and sodden your weight loss. You're awesome.
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    So today started off great, I got on the scale and I was down 3 pounds; I am at a total of 22 pounds with a goal of 45 pounds to lose all together. So I was in a great mood all day thinking, WOW I am down 22 pounds with another 22 pounds to lose I am doing great. THEN I went to the store to big new bras, I went into the dressing room to try on a selection of new styles and sizes and I looked in the mirror of the dressing room and though HOLY CRAP - I am still really, really fat, I wanted to run home and die.

That was me yesterday -- I woke up and felt like a big fatty all day... After a grueling hike this afternoon and having a chance to relax with hubby, I'm feeling better. Chin up, girly, Rome wasn't built in a day and you're doing a great job.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    LOL.... me and my girl gym team just had this converstation today. Three out of three of us have felt that way and we are all diff. body types age groups and in diff stages of wt loss. There are days I feel horrible and all I can see is fat and all though I know it cant be true, there are days I acutally feel more unattractive than when I first started out. I think this has also gotten worse with the more wt I've lost. I think once you start really loosing wt you are much more critical of yourself than you where in the begining.

It just goes to show you that wt loss and body image is all in your head. Dont know if I helped but I knw I can relate. :wink:
  • kellygirl2
    Options
    I experience that same awakening recently as well.. It is not the best feeling in the world, then I realized that I need to look ahead not
    back, and hey if you've lost 22 pounds your that much closer to your goal then you were before. I purposely try to not have to try on clothes, and I will wear them big for awhile before I go again. Why waste money you need a new size about every 10 pounds. so Hey.
    Keep it up your doing well!!:flowerforyou:
  • Ecourter22509
    Options
    fitting rooms are the devil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use that as motivation to keep going. I'm losing at 1 lbs a week steady. It feels like it's taking FOREVER. I just have to stop bad mouthing my waist, b/c I'm getting sick of my internal coach. She needs to take it easy on me. I'm working here :smile:
  • weidner
    weidner Posts: 127
    Options
    Thank you all!!!!! I went home in an awful mood and then after I made the post, I went into my room to sulk, and I started to think, about ten years ago I needed to lose about 20-25 pounds; which I did. Obviously I gained that back and then put another 20 on!!! The point being, is that I weigh exactly the same as I did 10 years ago (scarey), but I went ten years ago to weight watchers obviously because I did not like the way I looked so - it seems that I am right back where I started ten years ago!!!:( I saved by WW weight log; so that is how I knew I was back to square one.)

The good news is - I lost this 22 pounds before, I can do it again - it may be a bit difficult being 10 years older, but then again I am 10 years wiser!!!!!

Thanks again - this is why I love this site, you all came to my rescue - I so appreciate that - Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!
  • dmbgal
    dmbgal Posts: 6
    Options
    Oh do I understand the sulking. I just had a tearfest this morning after ripping an expensive and much loved dress I had disillusioned myself into thinking I'd lost enough weight to wear this weekend for a bridal shower. While indeed I've lost ~15 lbs, I seem to focus on only that rather than the fact that before losing it I'd put on so much that I still have a ways to go... and thus a busted dress.

I usually have a sunny outlook on life; this morning it's cloudy. Thanks for sharing; it's good to know I'm not alone.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options

Exact same thing happened to me two weeks ago. I went bra shopping with my mother and was so proud of myself that I've lost 11 lbs through MFP (17 pounds total, I discovered MFP after I really started getting serious about weight loss) and was SUPER excited to buy some cute bras. Well, I picked out some nice ones and headed to the fitting room. And then, it hit me. I was standing there in my bra and just couldn't take my eyes off of my jiggly belly, my underarm fat (my "third boob" as I like to call it, and the hideous love handles that were just screaming at me. I wanted to cry....like really break down and full out, whole body sobbing, crying. I just couldn't believe that with all of the work and time and effort, I still have a LONG way to go.

But, I didn't let it get to me. I just accepted that this is a slow process, which is the best way to go. I mentally told myself that once the weight is gone, I won't have to worry about it coming back with proper maintenance and exercise. I DIDN'T go home and eat...I went out and worked in my garden.

I also went shorts shopping yesterday. And once again, the belly fat and haunting love handles were still there, BUT I was able to fit into the next size down from what I have been wearing for two years. I left the store happy and even more motivated to work hard everyday.

Oh, and a note to my favorite size 8 jeans....You WILL be mine; oh yes, you WILL be mine (again)!!!! :tongue:
  • katie30
    katie30 Posts: 55
    Options
    Congrats on the 22lbs, don't let anything take away from that success.

Bra and bathing suit shopping are the devil for most people, as you are forced to actually look in the mirror with that little on. There a couple of helpful tricks though. The first, get your measurements and actually know your new size before you pick anything up to take into the fitting room, especially with a bra. There is nothing worse than having lost weight, thinking you will be a size down and then not even remotely fitting into it. Mentally knowing that you are a new size helps a ton too, it is proof that you are slimming down. In addition, and don't laugh, before you go to the store do your hair, makeup, etc in front of the mirror in only your underwear. Look in the mirror, now stand up straight, tighten your core muscles, and look again. See a difference? When you are trying on clothes this is how you want to be standing before looking in the mirror.

Keep up the good work and stay positive.
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    From your post:
    The point being, is that I weigh exactly the same as I did 10 years ago (scarey), but I went ten years ago to weight watchers obviously because I did not like the way I looked so - it seems that I am right back where I started ten years ago!!!:( I saved by WW weight log; so that is how I knew I was back to square one.)

The good news is - I lost this 22 pounds before, I can do it again - it may be a bit difficult being 10 years older, but then again I am 10 years wiser!!!!!

Congratulations on your re-commitment to being healthy and moving forward!! You have really done well with losing the weight this time around and I'm sure you will continue to since you are using this site for support. The above quote is something that you may want to journal about further or simply cut/paste and save it somewhere as a reminder of where you've been before and that you don't want to continue the cycle again. The dressing room experience had to be really awful, but as others have said...keep that memory as motivation to not lose and re-gain. It truly is a vicious cycle that I have watched my mother live throughout her entire life. I lost 14 pounds several years ago and have maintained that loss through good food choices, food journaling, and incorporating workouts into my daily living. You can reach your goal if you stay as focused as you are today :) Best wishes to you!