Stretch marks

Options
Does anyone else have stretch marks? I thought I was in the clear with my daughter but then I went 6 days over her due date and poof they appeared. They are starting to fade a bit but they are very deep and I'm really self conscious about them. Even with weight loss I'm afraid that they are still going to look terrible. I feel kinda alone with it because all my friends and sister in laws with babies are rockin 6 packs without a mark on them. I drank crazy amounts of water and used the damn lotion twice a day but I scar really easily anyway. Just wondering if any other mommas have the same problem and if you've found anything that helps? Also if you found that they got worse with a second child.

Replies

• MavenMassage505
    Options
    There are several things you can do to help your body deal with the marks. Collagen added as a supplement and finding a cream to put on your skin with collagen in it. There are oils that can help with the "angry" or redness of your stretch marks. Lavender and Frankincense put together when using and the chemical reaction they have to each other helps reduce the marks. Blood flow into the area where the marks are would also be very helpful. Actually PULL on the skin and fascia to bring blood back into the areas. Good Luck.
  • kitjos
    kitjos Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain :(. I had nothing till I hit 39 weeks, then bam! I HATE them. I was well toned before pregnancy and had clear skin. Im hopeful I will get back to my toned state but then all I see in the mirror is my stretchmarks. I feel abit mean moaning though as I only have about 6 excluding quite a thick red one - thats the one I hate. Im also using lotion and hope they fade or go silver so they blend into the skin x
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    They will fade. Kids are so worth the stretch marks. You earned them. Don't be ashamed of them, be proud.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I didn't get stretch marks from being pregnant, just being fat. Mine are still visible after 30 years, so I really don't buy the fading with time saying. Not much can make them go away aside from surgery.
  • acpatts
    acpatts Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    They are part of being a new mom. I had some from excessive weight gain, got more from baby number 1, and I am getting even more from baby number 2. Although most of the ones I am getting with baby number 2 look like extensions of the ones I had from baby number 1. I found keeping your skin moisturized and not gaining baby weight too fast helps a little. Mine faded a bit with time and they look less noticeable when I am smaller. But if you scar easily, like I do, you may be stuck with them. Luckily my husband loves me and my stretch marks. He calls them my battle scars from being pregnant with his babies. Nothing to be ashamed of.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    cocoa butter, time, and sunlight avoidance has faded mine. 8 years after my last pregnancy and mine are almost invisible.
  • hoovity
    Options
    Agreed! Stretch marks are generally genetic although definitely enhanced by the more weight that is gained/size of the person/etc! A lot of times women don't see them during the pregnancy and then when they baby is delivered they come to notice. In my case, I didn't gain HEAPS of weight but already had extra. They appeared as I approached my high school weight. Very faint and very low but they're there. I was disappointed too but try to remember that they are a souvenir from my kids and to wear them like a badge of honour. And guess what - a six pack is emerging underneath!! So there is hope! :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have them. Time will fade them. Major surgery will get rid of them.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I had some silvery ones from gaining weight as a teenager then losing it. I don't think they really changed in my 1st pregnancy, although I did go 10 days overdue. I was 12 days overdue in my 2nd pregnancy and I think i got a few more, but again just silvery ones. I have to admit I'm not that bothered. They're not that obvious, and I live in the UK, so we don't have the weather for prancing around in a bikini!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I didn't get stretch marks from being pregnant, just being fat. Mine are still visible after 30 years, so I really don't buy the fading with time saying. Not much can make them go away aside from surgery.
    They don't go away, but I'm betting yours are closer to your skin color now than they were 30 years ago.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I didn't get any on my belly during pregnancy, but I did get some on my legs during the pregnancy. They were not deep and faded back to my skin color. I did not get any more during my second pregnancy. I did not do anything special. I did gain about 10 pounds less the second time. When I show people they say, "Those are not stretch marks".

My husband said they are like my imaginary friends because I am the only one that can see them. (most of the time I can't see them either)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Most people who have grown to adulthood have some stretch marks.
  • BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! It's more common that women have stretch marks from pregnancy than not. I was similar to your situation and got my stretch marks in the last 2 weeks of pregnancy with my first; I don't think I even got one stretch mark with my second baby. When I first had them I got agood body scrub and thick body butter to put on and it seemed to help lighten them. Stretch marks are just one of the things I've learned to live with, I figured I can either be miserable the entire time and pine away over what my body "used to be" or accept that it has changed and love myself regardless. The only one who sees my stomach anyways is my husband :)
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    those my dear friend, are our badges of courage honor. you are a tiger and you earned your stripes... every damn one of them. i am loaded with them across my abs. and i will still step on stage for my 3rd competition this spring. B T W.... i once weighed in at over 316 lbs after the birth of my second child!!! Pro Tan does amazing things to hide them...
  • Harriann84
    Options
    I have stretchmarks everywhere, arms, breasts, stomach and thighs. They are deep and itch like hell when it's hot (which thankfully isn't often here in the UK.)

I will wear them with pride though, my Tiger Stripes, wherever they are, show the fight I had with my weight and leave a physical sign that my body was pushed to the max whilst I was pregnant.

Wear your Tiger Stripes with pride, you cooked a little person. Mami Tiger ;)
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Yup me too 37 weeks and was already happy dancing when bam!! Next day they just started to pop out!!! Oh well you will learn to love them. I sure do. I can't really see them in pics but you can deffenetly see them on real life.
  • Sweatinglikeapigtolooklikeafox
    Options
    I have stretch marks from gaining weight not pregnancy and yes to begin with I hated them. I mean what 16year old likes marks on her body? Since turning 24, being more confident in myself regardless of my size I love my marks. It shows I have lived and enjoying life, some marks are more noticable (thanks boobs) but my silver ones are apart of me
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    They don't go away, but I'm betting yours are closer to your skin color now than they were 30 years ago.

They're white and extremely deep, so really visible against yellow-brown skin. All my scars turn white.