Can you have too much veg?

Options
Anyone know if you can have too much veg. I eat alot of it as it fills me up.
Im worried its not doing me any good. Without being too graphic My bowels are producing Green stuff.
Does anyone know what amount is ok if there is a set amount. Thank you.

Replies

• Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    No, you can't eat to much veg. If you eat not only vegs and eat different kinds of, everything should be fine. What do you eat beside your vegs and how much vegs do you exactly eat?
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be too worried, it's just the chlorophyll from the greens. It won't hurt you
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You can have not enough of other things.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    There is a website you can look up the characteristics of your bowel movements and find out why it is that way. Grape soda turns mine green! Anyways, as long as you don't go from nil to tons, veg is certainly fine. Just remember if you ate beets or whatnot so you wont freak out =)
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    According to my nutritionist, you can have unlimited amounts of veggies. Given the low calorie count and bulk provided by the fiber in many veggies, I can't figure out a way to eat too many. I'm keen on downing an entire bag of Bird's Eye Steam Fresh with my dinner :happy: Let the rest of the family fend for themselves :laugh:
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Can you have too much of something... Yes.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sure you can have too much. Mainly if it means that you're depriving yourself of other things like protein and healthy fats. If you're getting a sufficiently balanced overall intake you'll be fine.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Not really..but yes...:bigsmile:

Just count your calories and balance your macro's, eating as clean as you will withing those boundaries.
    A hippopotamus may get fat eating veggies but few people will though there are always possibilities...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I really need to read more carefully when skimming thread titles.
  • vickiemumof3
    Options
    Thank you everyone. An idea of what i mean is every main meal (5pm meal) I will have a meat then either potato,rice or pasta and then a large amount of veg. I probably have 2 handfuls of green beans, 5 pieces of cauliflow and 5 pieces of broccoli and then a good handful of white cabbage. It takes up most of the plate. lol. I enjoy it and it fills me up.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you would have to be eating large quantities. I've seen adverse effects in others with anorexia where the diet may be predominantly veg. For example, eating large amounts of veg containing carotenoids can cause hypercarotenaemia which turns the skin an orange/yellow colour, particularly on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. As veg are high in fibre, it can cause GI problems such as diarrhoea, gas and bloating.
    Too much veg may cause micronutrient imbalances, e.g. oxalates in spinach could inhibit calcium absorption.

Again, you'd have to be eating a lot though!
  • CoronerKris
    CoronerKris Posts: 57 Member
    Options

hahaha
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's too much in general. But it might be too much all at once. OK, trying to be non-gross, lol....That's a lot of fiber all in one chunk, it's all working at the same time. So a lot of material is being eliminated all at once. You might try spreading it out, and move some of that quantity to lunch time. Just as an experiment to see if it makes a difference.

But having green poop isn't a problem in itself. It's just the color of the food that's leaving your body. I'd be more inclined to reevaluate if it was an issue of daily diarrhea or gas. In which case, I'd also up my dose of probiotic.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,060 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Awesome!