Black Girls Run

Options
Hey,

I am trying to find friends who are also a part of the Black Girls Run team. If you are in BGR please add me :)

Replies

• sugarnspice8
    Options
    is your name the same there??
  • EKfitness10
    Options
    what city? im a memeber of the cleveland and columbus group
  • sugarnspice8
    Options
    Im in the DC area :(
  • MrsMelitta
    MrsMelitta Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I want to join BGR in Philly. One of my facebook friends is having great success with them!
  • sugarnspice8
    Options
    I was a member of a team in Maryland but nobody ever responded or held any events......
  • twerkthat
    twerkthat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I am trying to find friends who are also a part of the Black Girls Run team. If you are in BGR please add me :)

I just took a look at it and just joined the LA group! This is something to look forward to!
  • honey1017
    honey1017 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    BGR rocks. Feel free to add me.:smile:
  • honey1017
    honey1017 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was a member of a team in Maryland but nobody ever responded or held any events......

Sorry to hear that. That isn't the norm.
    Were you on facebook or on the actual site?
    Both sites are usually pretty good about informing the members of the meet up locations. This way you can pick and choose what works best with your schedule.

I have found BGR to be a wonderful group that helps empower women to meet their goals as they 'preserve the sexy'.
  • DrAJ84
    DrAJ84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just signed up to try to start BGR.
  • DrAJ84
    DrAJ84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It's a group geared toward health disparity in the African American community. African Americans are at higher risk for many health problems and its intention is to encourage exercise among black women in various regions......does not sound racist to me, simply a proactive way to encourage fitness to those at risk.
  • Tiff0320
    Options
    Hey I've been looking for a fitness group to join I'm a 22yr old African American female that is taking my health back into good gear over the past five years I've gained 125 pounds which is pretty much taking a toll on me mentally and physically......I'm always looking for support and motivation not saying that I have the ability to be a self starter but to have that extra motivation from others who can relate is rewarding..... I'm currently located in the Washington,DC area and if there is anyone that can give me information please let me know thanks a million :)
  • caleb151706
    caleb151706 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is my first post. Usually I just wander around and look at success stories, but I felt compelled to respond based on recent negative posts. A group of people getting together to celebrate commonalities and a goal of healthy living is not racist. There are all women's gyms (curves anyone?) Is this based on sexism? No, its based on the fact that many women prefer to seek fitness with other women, and would be uncomfortable working out around men. There are also many colleges whose curriculum is faith based. Is this discriminatory to people of other religions? No, it is merely an avenue for people of similar religious belief to gain higher education among like monded people. If you disagree with this group, don't join, simple as that. Celebrating one's cultural background shouldn't always been seen in such a negative light! You go ladies! Good on you for coming together to reach your fitness goals!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    pretty sweet. im just really lightskinned. :) doubt that would work. wish i could join something cool like this. run girls! im all for it. Very cool.
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It's a group geared toward health disparity in the African American community. African Americans are at higher risk for many health problems and its intention is to encourage exercise among black women in various regions......does not sound racist to me, simply a proactive way to encourage fitness to those at risk.

what l you think of a group called "White Men Only Run"

I see where you are coming from. I always think, of all the things African/African Americans have that is ethnic specific, or gender specific, etc, it could sound a bit discriminating to those outside of the group. But keep in mind the group isn't called 'Black Girls ONLY Run', it's called 'Black Girls Run.' Just from the name, I think the group was created to let people in the Black community know that we can exercise too and take care of ourselves, just like people of other ethnicities do willingly. We have no excuses, that's all.

But again, I see where you are coming from, but I'm sure if you wanted to run with them, they will welcome you...they better!!! :-)

*(because if they didn't, that might be a little racist, just sayin).
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    I'm a member of South Atlanta and Atlanta. Feel free to add me. I'm hoping to start running with the groups after the holidays.

Erica
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    In Virginia, my sis and I are thinking about joing the one in RIchmond.
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This is my first post. Usually I just wander around and look at success stories, but I felt compelled to respond based on recent negative posts. A group of people getting together to celebrate commonalities and a goal of healthy living is not racist. There are all women's gyms (curves anyone?) Is this based on sexism? No, its based on the fact that many women prefer to seek fitness with other women, and would be uncomfortable working out around men. There are also many colleges whose curriculum is faith based. Is this discriminatory to people of other religions? No, it is merely an avenue for people of similar religious belief to gain higher education among like monded people. If you disagree with this group, don't join, simple as that. Celebrating one's cultural background shouldn't always been seen in such a negative light! You go ladies! Good on you for coming together to reach your fitness goals!

Yep, I agree with your point of view too
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    pretty sweet. im just really lightskinned. :) doubt that would work. wish i could join something cool like this. run girls! im all for it. Very cool.

Ummmm you CAN run with this group. They are not racist at all and even have several non-African American members. They promote unity amongst all races. As someone mentioned, the African American community has the highest obesity rate. More needs to be done but I applaud all groups that help promote health and fitness. :-)
  • Vx3_
    Vx3_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Can someone message me some details? I am interesting in Black Girls Run. I'm not African American but I would be more than happy to join a community and activity for better health. I am from NY by the way.
  • Nikkismission
    Nikkismission Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This sounds very intersting... I will google and join for myself. I reside in DC, so if anyone wants to add me, feel free to do so. :-) On to great weight loss success for us all in the New Year :-)